Author Topic: Justin and Marty's Jammin Masterclasses REVIEWS ONLY  (Read 9750 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
Justin and Marty's Jammin Masterclasses REVIEWS ONLY
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:52 am »
If you've attended one of our Jammin Masterclasses and would like to share your thoughts with others about what you got out of the day and how it helped you, then this is the place to do it!

Many thanks :) J

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline RickK54

• Good Vibes 1
Re: Justin and Marty's Jammin Masterclasses REVIEWS ONLY
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:47:35 am »
I attended the Justin and Marty Masterclass on Jan 19th. In San Marcos, CA. Although there was space for up to 7 students it turned out there were only 5 of us which was great for me as we got to spend a bit more time with Justin and Marty. First off these two guys are really cool, friendly and very welcoming. I was a little nervous when I first got to the studio as I have to admit to being a little awestruck and having some trepidation of being filmed for the DVD. I shouldn't have worried as Justin was there greeting us as we walked in and broke the ice immediately by admiring the car my wife was driving, a bright orange Dodge Challenger that we rented for the weekend! Turns out Justin is a fellow car nut.

So after introductions to the day and each other we took it in turns to play some scales for the teachers who gave us plenty of tips to take away to improve our technique....how nice to get feedback...which you can't get from a video! This did a lot to calm my nerves and get me in the groove for the day. We had a couple of breaks and during one Justin took some time out to help me with my barre chords which was a highlight for me.

After having lunch together we had a few hours of one on one time with Justin then Marty as they answered questions, demonstrated at close quarters some ways to improve....for me this was a big highlight and the main reason I wanted to attend the session.

Finally we then took turns to play in a band playing the lead guitar part (soloing pentatonic and major scales) as Justin played rhythm guitar, Marty played bass along with a drummer. What a blast that was....I think we had around 3 goes each as we were a small group and it was an amazing feeling. We all got to pose for pics pulling "rock faces" and generally had a great time.

So in conclusion...I went along to get to meet these guys who have taught me so much already..to brush up my techniques and to keep on heading down the road on my journey but found an awful lot more. It was so much fun I'd attend another one...the one on one time and the soloing was brilliant.

Ah one last thing - at the end we got to drink beers with everyone and have a good chat....a great end to the day and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to take their playing that little bit further!

DanV

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:11:57 am »
Hello to my brother Rick from Houston, above!!!  I was also at the January 19 Jammin Masterclass in San Marcos, and you could not put a price on the experience.  It elevated my guitar playing, it opened new doors - and best of all - it was GREAT FUN!!!  What you see on YouTube is the real Justin and Marty - they are funny, generous, patient, genuine and smart.  Justin and Marty treat you like a long-time friend; they key in to your playing, and offer you amazing insights into YOUR playing.  They are truly master teachers who impart to you their guitar wisdom in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

I went to the Masterclass as a 50th birthday present to myself.  I flew to California from upstate New York for 36 hours.  And every moment I was in that studio I will cherish for the rest of my life.  One of the best things I have ever done.  Marty, Justin, my fellow four students and I got to know each other in a relaxed conversation.  Then Marty and Justin jammed out an A blues that set the stage for everything we would cover.  One by one, we sat in the "Hot Seat," and played  scale, while Justin and Marty offered tips.  They asked us questions about concepts and things WE wanted to learn about.  We broke for pizza, and then had two 60-90 minute sessions.  Rick and I sat with Justin on a couch in Marty's "VIP Lounge" and Justin asked us what we wanted to learn about.  Justin taught me a lot in that hour, taking my hand and correcting the way I had been playing the D9 chord for decades.  Then we switched with the other 3, and Rick and I and Marty sat in the studio, and Marty imparted his wisdom on rhythm and soloing.

Then the drummer showed up, and we each got to play three solos with Justin on guitar and Marty on bass.  It was rock and roll heaven.

And then, Marty and I went on a beer run to 7-11, and we sat around and talked like we were old high school friends.  Marty stayed late, even though he had to run to Anaheim for a gig.  Justin kept us laughing with his stories.  It was a very relaxed atmosphere; there may have been nerves, but Justin spoke to us about how to channel that into a positive performing energy.

This was a great experience that I will always remember every second I spent in that studio.  I can't thank Marty and Justin enough for their generosity of spirit and for sharing so much with us.  I was truly inspired by this one day in the studio.  When I pick up my guitar now to play, I hear Justin in my head saying "space" and Marty telling me there's more than one approach to playing rhythm.

Justin threw in a few DVDs (which I have watched a hundred times since then).

And best of all - I finally got to meat the Great Master Jedi!!!

Thanks so much Justin!!!!

DanV 

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:48:15 am »
Thanks for taking the time to do some reviews for us guys :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App