Author Topic: Hallelujah!  (Read 6406 times)

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • The Crown only fits my head hence I am King.
Hallelujah!
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:37:47 am »
Played on my all solid wood Australian made Cole Clark (AA grade Spruce top & Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides) Fat Lady 2AC.  This acoustic cover is mainly based on the Rufus Wainwright piano version that appeared on the Shrek movie soundtrack ( but it's John Cale's version that appeared in the movie itself). I changed the "you" throughout the song with "ya" (which are on some versions such as the K.D. Lang's version but not the Rufus Wainwright's nor the John Cale's versions) because it rhymes better with "hallelujah".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9145rPqv4
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline Ste 35

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Hallelujah!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:57:05 am »
Well played. A nice tune well covered and it sounded really good to me.

Cheers.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:06:56 pm »
very well played and nice sounding guitar...

my only thought if you were after critique, was to maybe get the rhythm of the fingerstyle pattern to "roll" a bit more, you'll get this by accenting beats 1 and 4 a bit so you get more of a 3 feel...

> . . > . .

but sounding great dude!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:28:47 pm »
I saw this on youtube before I saw it here.  Good job!

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »

my only thought if you were after critique, was to maybe get the rhythm of the fingerstyle pattern to "roll" a bit more, you'll get this by accenting beats 1 and 4 a bit so you get more of a 3 feel...

Thanks for the tip. I will try and do that if I understand you correctly. Just pluck harder on 1 and 4 right? But it's going to be difficult doing that whilst singing so I'll just practice without singing to start of with. I'm still not sure what you mean by "a 3 feel" though. Anyone can help to explain?
Gear:
Cole Clark FL2AC, Mini Maton EML/6, La Patrie Concert CW QI (classical guitar made by Godin), Fender Hau'oli (Tenor ukulele), Yamaha RBX-270-bass, Ibanez AEB10E-acoustic bass

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »
I'm still not sure what you mean by "a 3 feel" though. Anyone can help to explain?

As if it were played in 3/4.  Or sounds like it were.  To be honest, I always thought the song was in 3/4 anyway but I guess it's 6/8?

Offline sabathiel

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
Thanks! Wiki says the song as in the original version by Leonard Cohen is in 6/8 but I was playing based on the Rufus Wainwright version which I presume is also in 6/8. Why would Wiki says "as in the original version"? Can a 6/8 song be played in a different time signature? I guess Justin is right that I am not giving the song "a 3 feel" because when I was playing I was not aware of the song being in a 6/8  time signature. I checked on Wiki after Justin posted his tip. Beginner's error! LOL
Gear:

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:19:42 pm »
Can a 6/8 song be played in a different time signature? I guess Justin is right that I am not giving the song "a 3 feel" because when I was playing I was not aware of the song being in a 6/8  time signature.

Well, a lot of people, myself included, 'feel' songs in 6/8 as 3/4.  So when counting to it, you're feeling:

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3.

The one's get accented to give the song that bouncy kind of pulse.  But since the time signature is ACTUALLY 6/8, the accents are really landing on 1 and 4:

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6.

They essentially have the same feel or pulse and you can count it in your head either way when you're feeling it.  Whatever helps you groove.  But that's what he meant by having a 3 feel.

Hope this helps.

But dude, I tried this song a while back and yours still blows mine out of the water, lol

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »
Hi,

Nice cover. Always envy people who can sing and play at the same time. Too much like hard work for me (especially when singing is so hard by itself.)

Lovely tone.

Digger

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Its better to burn out than it is to fade
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »
Well, a lot of people, myself included, 'feel' songs in 6/8 as 3/4.  So when counting to it, you're feeling:

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3.

The one's get accented to give the song that bouncy kind of pulse.  But since the time signature is ACTUALLY 6/8, the accents are really landing on 1 and 4:

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6.

They essentially have the same feel or pulse and you can count it in your head either way when you're feeling it.  Whatever helps you groove.  But that's what he meant by having a 3 feel.

Hope this helps.

But dude, I tried this song a while back and yours still blows mine out of the water, lol

This is a common bone between my friends and me. Is there some example which is in 6/8 and can't be counted in 3/4 ? Or are they absolutely the same thing ?

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32:06 am »
This is a common bone between my friends and me. Is there some example which is in 6/8 and can't be counted in 3/4 ? Or are they absolutely the same thing ?

While technically they're pretty much the same thing, they do give distinctive feels.

Like this song, starting at 4:00 the bass is playing in 3/4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qrwON1-zE

You can really feel the 3/4 pulse and it doesn't really count well in 6/8.  Sure you can do it but it won't groove the same.  The drums are helping to create the feel as well.

While this song is in 6/8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbh5boPguSs 

The line the guitar is opening with takes 6 beats to resolve, then it repeats.  You wouldn't feel this the same way in 3/4.  In this case the bass guitar is aiding the feel by playing changes as a lead-in on the 6 and 1.

The differences are subtle but they do matter.  Technically though, mathematically 3/4 and 6/8 are the exact came thing but in music, they can be miles apart.  It's about what's in each bar that matters.  Does the riff resolve on three beats or six?

Which does Hallelujah sound like to you now?

Sorry for using rock references, it's all I know, LOL

That bass solo going on in Orion is intense by the way.  I've been wanting to cover that song for a LONG time.  It's a great instrumental.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:54:19 am by Endureth »

Offline neo01124

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Its better to burn out than it is to fade
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:14 am »
I get what you are saying but I could count them either way. I guess the accents are not so strong in these examples. I was listening to the Jeff Buckley version and it certainly sounded 3/4.
And thanks! I am going to be listening to some early metallica today.

Offline newellob

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 01:06:10 am »
I just commented on your Blackbird cover.. Must say, I enjoyed this one even more! Very nice guitar playing again and vocals IMO were pretty good. Overall, great job man keep it up!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App