Author Topic: Windows 8 and lesson videos  (Read 870 times)

Offline Gemius

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Windows 8 and lesson videos
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:18:39 pm »
Just bought a new laptop running Windows 8 but it wont play Justine's videos (it plays sound only). It plays them ok on You Tube etc, I know this isn't a Geeks site but has anyone else had this problem and if so, Help

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
Re: Windows 8 and lesson videos
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:33 pm »
I'll ask the mods to move this to the computers subforum.
In the meantime, let me state the obvious; we can't help you based on this little info...
What laptop brand ?
Which model ?
Have you installed any decent media player(s) to replace the utter crap microsoft gives you ?
Have you installed any/all necessary codecs ?
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

(If you need me for something, PM ME FOR FSM'S SAKE ! I'm not around a lot, and I do NOT have thread notifications on!)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:41 pm »
Look up 'Windows 8' , 'Flash video' and 'compatibility view'.

You won't believe the xx--xx Microsoft pulled with IE 10.

Gemius........ Try this: Open up IE in desktop mode. If you can't see the 'tools' menu, right click on the title bar at top of the window and select 'menu bar'. Go to : Tools->Compatibility View Settings. In the window that pops up, copy and paste 'justinguitar.com' in to the 'Add this website' box and then click on 'add'; you should see it appear in the box below.

If 'Download Updated Compatibility Lists From Microsoft' is checked, next time it updates the list it will probably overwrite any additions you've made to the list, so either disable that or add it again if anything stops working. I'm not sure where Firefox is in terms of Windows 8, 'cos I won't touch it with a ten foot bargepole (Windows 8, that is), but once it's finalised and firing on all cylinders, I suggest ditching IE for that......... Or Pale Moon, etc ........ Anything not IE, basically.

It's possible that this isn't the cause of your problem........ but Microstupid xx--xx this one up so badly it's absoutely the first thing you should try ;)

Offline Gemius

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I already had Justin's site in my Compatibility list but i've taken it out now as the problem was Internet Explorer. I downloaded Chrome and it works fine.

Windows 8 loads like lightning. I know I'm an old fart but anyone wants to use it
1.Uninstall Mc Afee (what a cheek giving us a hard sell on that) Windows Defender and Firewall should then start automatically.
2 Use the old style Desktop and put everything you want in there.
3 Download Open source programs, Open Office, Audacity, Monkeybeat etc, and Chrome of course (Don't spend anymore, the computer cost enough.
Everything else that I want seems much the same.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I already had Justin's site in my Compatibility list but i've taken it out now as the problem was Internet Explorer. I downloaded Chrome and it works fine.

No surprise there. IE is probably the worst browser on the market, but most people don't know enough (or can't be bothered enough) to install something better.

I do a lot of work for large companies and it always frustrates me when I see their broken IT which is mostly broken in the name of "security", and yet these companies continue to use IE on all their desktops, which is probably one of the biggest security and privacy problems going (as well as being one of the easiest to fix).

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App