Author Topic: Willin' Little Feat cover  (Read 991 times)

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
Willin' Little Feat cover
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
Okay I know this is all loosey goosey, it's a sketch really for a cover of Little Feat's Willin, which is a song I knew as a very little bitty kid :)   I think it was written in the seventies, but it's a classic from that era. Great song.

I just heard it yesterday and realized it was kinda easy to play and sing, and all of a sudden (well, hours later, it's four in the morning) I'm really suprised by how it came together.  It's not exactly reggae but the syncopation gives it this island feel.   The drum track is just a transcription I was working on of a song that shall forever remain secret.   The harmony is as good as I can get right now, I'm not the best harmony singer and I usually have to recruit a friend to do that part for me.   

I can't play guitar as well as I'd but I changed the key, capoed the guitar to give it a mandoliny sound and then laid a second guitar over it with just a kind of simple strum rhythm fill.   

I think the vocal is one of the best I've done in a lot of ways.   

Here's the thing.  I have a ton of creative ideas and I'm not afraid to mess with a song to do an interpretation, in fact I prefer to not try to do a cover that is a tribute band take. In fact I probably couldn't do one if I tried.   But I am always looking for producer ideas to make what I'm doing better because I have so many limitations in terms of understanding how to produce a track. I'd love ideas.  I'd love help.   But the truth is I am not going to work on the guitar part at the moment, I've got a little bursitis in my arm from working with a monster dog and I need to take a break from what I call playing -- you may call it something else...

Thanks in advance.

Pat
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:54:37 pm by PattheBunny »
Realism is relative.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Willin' Little Feat cover
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »
Sounds nice. If you want to see what giving it a little more reggae feel would do.... mute the hihat and replace with a shaker. instead of tik tik tik tik   play it chik-ah chik-ah. You may not want to go too far down that road. But you might be able to pull it off.

Here is a song with a Reggae beat and even some Dub action to what seems like an otherwise laid back folk oriented vocal line. Might consider it for a production tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64IsaLkG2AE

The other route I would explore it Jimmy Buffet because it sounds like him too.

But.... to me when you sing Willin'..... to be movin'....  | "when I go to mexico...   it sounds very 60's folk style or maybe a bit Buffy Sainte Marie.
Gone

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »
I think Soundcloud is down.   Check back if you're interested.

Pat

Jimmy Buffett?  Yeah, and also oh no!

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
Or is it my browser that's not loading the link?  I get the Soundcloud player but no waveform and it doesnt play.  I just previewed a second link and it's the same. 

Anybody?
Realism is relative.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »
gone for me too now. Just the SC box.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App