Author Topic: Songwriting - working in collaborations, etc  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
Re: Songwriting - working in collaborations, etc
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23:55 pm »
/hug

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:03 pm »

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:35 pm »
Hmm.

Can't get access to my 4shared account. In fact can't get access to 4 shared at all. Anyone know if they've got problems or is it just my pc/browser?

Update - yep it was my pc/browser
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:38:11 pm by digger72 »

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:57 am »
Hi Digger,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the bass drum. Is it all on the beat? Did you quantise it?

Diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
Hi Diadem,

I don't know what quantising is - so the answer is almost certainly no.
Timing - if the bass drum is off then it will be through out as i used a loop for that.

Digger

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:20 am »
Hi Digger,

its this "wonderful" button in your DAW which lines everything up with the beat. In the olden days, when I was a lad, you had to rely on the internal clock of the musicians or a metronome to get the timing right, nowadays its all done by "magic".

I watched the Rolling Stones documentary Crossfire Hurricane last Friday. Bill Wyman explains it in a roundabout way. Keith Richards is the time keeper rather than Charlie Watts. Bill Wyman played slightly in front of Keith's beat with Charlie slightly later. Nowadays they could be all on the beat as the producer can quantise each track to make the instruments all arrive at the same time. The wonders of modern technology, or not, depending on your taste.

I'll have a think about the bass drum.

Your explanation of the song has thrown me a curved ball (a US expression if you haven't heard it before), so a bit more thinking needs to go into the mix.

With a bit of luck we'll get our tickets for Barnsley later today.

Take care,

Diadem

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »
Yeah the drums are all over the place in the files I got. The drums are on a two bar loop. the bass and hh anyway. The snare sometimes hit's the 2. I was going to replace all that anyway.

It's a good thing the Rolling Stones never had quantize... There would never have been the Rolling Stones... In fact they probably invented quantize just so everyone else would sound like a mechanical music box compared to them... smart career choice. people still haven't caught on.

If you want to take all the life out of your songs, quantize them. OR just get into the dance music genre and quantize away.

Gone

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 06:52:44 pm »
I just exported the midi files as wavs, so not sure why the have gone wrong - unless they are wrong in my mix - but they sound generally ok to me. I know they don't sound like a real drummer, but I'm not and they aren't.
This is what they should sound like all put together (if they have exported/uploaded correctly);

http://www.4shared.com/music/dZ4sCFSc/Eternally_Yours_drums.html

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
Yes, see that is kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4. What I got the snare is way off. I think it must have something to do with how you rendered from Live.

Gone

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
Hi Digger,

the good news is it fits, but I'm not sure if it fits the mood of the song. I've re-done the drums and was thinking of leaving it there. I'm going to have a sleep on it and see if I need to add anything in light of your drums. I may just add your drums to what I've already got, but then again. Who knows, decisions, decisions.

Tomorrow will be another day and your lot better get a result.

Diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:55 am »
Hi TB,

I've come across that before. Not sure what happens. I use Ableton and select "all" when exporting the wavs - so in theory it should export them as they are in the daw shouldn't it? But, when i had the limited version and was exporting and importing, because i was limited to the number of tracks i could use, i had the same problem sometimes - the wavs would be out of sync and I'd have to re-align them. Not sure what causes it. Perhaps if i tried doing them one at a time - i don't know. I could export the midi files but wouldn't you need the same drum software?

Diadem - big day with the footy. Leicester slipped up again last night. 3 points today would be great for both our sides.
Drums always have been a pain to me - i just try to stick something there to keep the beat. The annoying thing is I have a nephew who used to play drums, but he sold his kit - liked similar music to me as well.

Oh well.

Cheers,

Digger

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2013, 01:27:52 pm »
Hi Digger,

Almost finished. I just need to have another listen or two on the stereo before making up my mind to upload it. You may be surprised to hear what I've done with the drums.

I was going to upload it on the Eternally Yours thread, but thought you may want it put here. As its your song I'll go with what you want.

Mid table mediocrity was better for my nerves.

Take care,

Diadem

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »
Hi Mate,

Put it with my version then people can compare and contrast if they wish.
Looking forward to hearing it.

Time to hammer Cardiff! :D

Digger

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »
Hi TB,

I've come across that before. Not sure what happens. I use Ableton and select "all" when exporting the wavs - so in theory it should export them as they are in the daw shouldn't it? But, when i had the limited version and was exporting and importing, because i was limited to the number of tracks i could use, i had the same problem sometimes - the wavs would be out of sync and I'd have to re-align them. Not sure what causes it. Perhaps if i tried doing them one at a time - i don't know. I could export the midi files but wouldn't you need the same drum software?

Yeah, I'm not sure... I noticed in Reaper some of the files were at 75% of tempo in properties. At any rate, I've canned that first mix I was working on. I've started a new one, but some how one of my main plugins has gotten screwed up and I need to find out what happened and get it right. It locked up my PC so bad I lost the whole new project and backups. So stated again... but i really want / need that plug working. It was pretty easy to use Superior Drummer to just stick a new drum line in... but I have no idea how those drum tracks got like they were. Been a while since I rendered from Live. Can't remember all the details.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App