Author Topic: Where to play the chords? (dom7/dim7)  (Read 4811 times)

Offline almeria

• Good Vibes 1
Where to play the chords? (dom7/dim7)
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:15:08 am »
Hey,

first of all I read the "...chords" and the "dominant 7 chords" threads in this CCG section because I think they deal with a similar or maybe even the same problem that I have, but I still don't get it.

My problem is that I don't know where to play chords like Dom 7 and Dim 7.
For example: C dim 7. Notes of that chord are C A D# and F#. But I don't see any key that has that notes in it, so where or when am I supposed to play them? Is it possible that they sound good in for example C Major key where the II is a D and not D# and the IV is F instead of F#?

And that leads me to my second question. I always thought that I can construct chords with the notes I have a specific key. But after I saw the dim 7 chord I figured that this couldn't right. So does it mean I could grab whatever notes on the fretboard, let's say 5 6 8 x 7 0 (just made that one up in my mind as an example) and it would be any kind of chord which sound would actually sound good in any kind of song or key?!

I hope anyone can help me, it really confuses me right now lol

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:36:54 am by almeria »

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: Where to play the chords? (dom7/dim7)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:24 am »
The dim7 chord has an out of key note.  It comes from the harmonic minor scale.  It is used as a substitution.  Relatively ad advanced stuff to learn to use writing your own stuff.  Justin just did My Sweet Lord lesson that uses a couple dim7 chords.  The in key chord is a minor7flat5 built off the VII, sometimes called the half diminished.

The dom7 is built off of the V of the scale.  Anywhere you are using the V chord you can use a dom7.  In blues you can use a dom7 for the I, IV, and V chords.  That is out of key too, but that is what blues is.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline almeria

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:54:17 am »
Thanks for your help, Shadow. That explains a lot!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:17 am »
Interesting thing is that diminished chords are most often used a substitute for a 7b9 chord!

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/JA-029-DiminishedAs7b9.php
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline almeria

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:03:20 am »
Thank you, Justin  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App