Author Topic: SB-119 • My Sweet Lord - George Harrison  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
SB-119 • My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:43:31 pm »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/SB-119-MySweetLord-GeorgeHarrison.php

Questions...

[Mod edit - in response to many questions about this song being missing from the new acoustic songbook.   Any new threads asking about the song being missing will be referred here and deleted. Thanks. ]

Justin writes:

* NOTE - this song has been removed from the Acoustic Songbook, because of problems with his publisher :(

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:27:56 am by close2u »

GRM

Re: SB-119 • My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
There seems to be a difference between the video and the songbook. For the F#dim7 before the B7 Justin seems to play Fdim7 from the nut, not F#dim7 from the capo i.e. root at 3rd fret D string instead of 6th fret. I think that the songbook is probably correct, anyone know? :-\

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:16:13 pm »
Both F#dim7 and Fdim7 are used in the tune.

F#dim7 in the verse and Fdim7 in the chorus after the key change.

Don't have the book.  From watching the vid.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

GRM

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »
It looks to me that Justin is playing D#dim7 (with respect to the capo) not F#dim7 (with respect to the capo) as in the songbook. It does make for an easier transition to B7 though...

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:54 pm »
Same chord different name.  In a dim7 since all the intervals are minor 3rds any of the notes could be considered the root.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:41:55 am »
As Shadow says, D#dim7 (with respect to the capo) not F#dim7 (with respect to the capo)  are the same chord!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ameyask

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:32 am »
Hello , great video lesson.

The singing part is quite tricky here. Especially because the chords change from Em-A to F#m- B in the middle of the song. Hence I am having trouble figuring out how best to sing the song.

As a beginner, I have trouble singing the vocals correctly , so what I do is try to figure out the lead vocals on the guitar , after which I try to sing in tune with the guitar. I tend to get the intervals correctly but have trouble figuring out the beginning note.

So it would be great if you guys can help me out with the beginning notes in one or two places in the song.

The phrase "My Sweet Lord" occurs at various places in the song. Initially it is accompanied by the chords A major and E minor (with respect to capo on fret 2). While later on it is accompanied by the chords B major and F#minor. For the initial part,my guess is that the lead vocals for the phrase My Sweet Lord are  a-f#-e (with respect to Capo on second fret). Am I right ? (perhaps a pull off from f# to e) .

And when the chords shift to Bmaj,F#min would the vocals go 2 semitones higher ?

(I also am having trouble over the portions where we have the "I really wanna see you phrase", accompanied by the chords D,D7,Bmajor).

Thanks.

Offline Pete83

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:23 pm »
Lesson Link: http://justinguitar.com/en/SB-119-MySweetLord-GeorgeHarrison.php

Questions...

[Mod edit - in response to many questions about this song being missing from the new acoustic songbook.   Any new threads asking about the song being missing will be referred here and deleted. Thanks. ]

Justin writes:

* NOTE - this song has been removed from the Acoustic Songbook, because of problems with his publisher :(

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."

Get The Forum As A Mobile App