Author Topic: Help (putting music on my lyrics)  (Read 7297 times)

GuitarGirl2013

Help (putting music on my lyrics)
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:17 pm »
I really didn't know what to put as a subject. anyway to the point.. I hate writing essays for school so i thought i would hate songwriting as will. I was wrong. Now i have a notebook full of songs but i have know idea how to put music to them..I always hear the music and the way I want them to sound in my head.

I have been playing for a year so I maybe rushing things.

Thanks in advance for the help.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:52:35 pm by LievenDV »

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »
Do you have any theory knowledge? That will probably help.

Just simple things like knowing the chords/notes in a key, or common chord progressions will help a lot.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »
Pick a Key

the chords for any Major Key will be

Maj min min Maj Maj min dim

Cmajor Dminor Eminor Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim  for Key of C Major

also written as I ii iii IV V vi vii

Now start strumming and use this template to move form chord to chord. The I ( Cmaj ) goes to any other chord... then follow the arrows... also any chord can also go to the I.

Every major key works the same way. EX. A = A B C# D E F# G#  ( maj and min follow pattern above ) A Bm C#m D E F#m G#dim

I would concentrate on chords 1,2,4,5,6 for the most part.
Gone

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:22:22 pm »
I like TBs well worn approach very much, and would add that transcribing songs will help with transferring what is in your head onto the guitar. If you can hear it on a record then you can make it come from your guitar, as Justin has so consistently pointed out.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
Have you watched Justin's lessons on song writing? If not that would be a good place to start

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SO-013-StartingWritingSongs.php

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SO-010-Bukowski.php

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:48 pm »
Hi Guitargirl.

The first thing i would do is start recording those sounds you hear in your head. Just hum them, or sing the notes, random words, whatever, but get the idea out there so you can hear it played back to yourself.
Pick the easiest sounding then start picking out some of the notes you're hearing - ideally play along to your recorded voice so you can match your guitar to the melody you're humming.
Once you've got the basic pattern (assuming it's not some free form wild thing) you can start building. If you know theory you could use that to take you places, if not just use your ear; "if it sounds good..." etc.
The main thing is to keep your goals realistic. Don't expect to write something super complicated and accomplished straight off the bat. Start simple and develop it.
If i was to give one piece of advice (and it's one which was given to me from within this forum - which i then ignored for about a year) - it is to play to a metronome or drum pad or something. Play in time - it will make the whole process so much easier when you come to start adding additional parts to the song.

Hope to hear a tune from you soon.

Good luck.

Digger

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
Pick a Key

the chords for any Major Key will be

Maj min min Maj Maj min dim

Cmajor Dminor Eminor Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim  for Key of C Major

also written as I ii iii IV V vi vii

Now start strumming and use this template to move form chord to chord. The I ( Cmaj ) goes to any other chord... then follow the arrows... also any chord can also go to the I.

Every major key works the same way. EX. A = A B C# D E F# G#  ( maj and min follow pattern above ) A Bm C#m D E F#m G#dim

I would concentrate on chords 1,2,4,5,6 for the most part.

I don't really understand this, but I get the principle

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »
Hi Guitargirl.

The first thing i would do is start recording those sounds you hear in your head. Just hum them, or sing the notes, random words, whatever, but get the idea out there so you can hear it played back to yourself.
Pick the easiest sounding then start picking out some of the notes you're hearing - ideally play along to your recorded voice so you can match your guitar to the melody you're humming.
Once you've got the basic pattern (assuming it's not some free form wild thing) you can start building. If you know theory you could use that to take you places, if not just use your ear; "if it sounds good..." etc.
The main thing is to keep your goals realistic. Don't expect to write something super complicated and accomplished straight off the bat. Start simple and develop it.
If i was to give one piece of advice (and it's one which was given to me from within this forum - which i then ignored for about a year) - it is to play to a metronome or drum pad or something. Play in time - it will make the whole process so much easier when you come to start adding additional parts to the song.

Hope to hear a tune from you soon.

Good luck.

Digger

Thanks a lot!

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:34 pm »

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:22:26 pm »

Jeez. That would put me off guitar for life. String theory is easier to understand.  :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:00:40 am »
Yeah, if she didn't get the simple version, that one would likely blow her mind.

------

GG13... basically every Key has a set of chords. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

So play your 1 chord.. We will say C.. so play a C chord. Now go to any other chord, say the 4(IV) chord or F.   Now you are playing C F. So the chart says the IV chord can go to V... that a G chord.

So play C F G ... now the V(G) can go to I or iii so let's go to iii or Em... then to vi or Am.

So we have C F G Em Am now that can go to ii or Dm then G then I or C

So play C F G Em Am Dm G C   That -should- sound ok to you. Maybe as you play that you might hear some of those sounds in your head and you can figure which ones to play. You can change things as needed to fit what you hear.

(1)C (2)Dm (3)Em (4)F (5)G (6)Am (7)Bdim

Again this example is all in the Key of C

Whatever you are hearing in your head is very likely a standard progression so try to identify it by this simply formula. If something is "close" it's probably just a simple alteration of a chord. Like instead of a G maybe it's a G7.

Strum them out one time and you will hear it.

Gone

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »
@TB

Thanks I understand now!!!! Thoughs chords have always sounded good together to me but I never knew why..how can I find out practical music thorem? I've tried but I always got stuck somewhere with a crazy pic like the one above.. What can I do?

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »
This page explains that pic above:

http://chordmaps.com/

It's well written, relatively easy to understand and a good primer (if not more).

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:28:31 pm »
@TB
...how can I find out practical music thorem? ...

It's all in Justin's lessons... Either his pay for lessons Practical Music Theory ( recommend you start there ) or the video lessons.

Basically .... the order of learning is...

Notes ... A BC D EF G  etc.

Intervals ... two notes with various distances apart. These have specific names you should learn. Like major 2nd, minor 3rd, augmented 5th, minor 6th, diminished 7th, etc..

Triads ....  a special set of 3 note chords. must learn.

Seventh chords .... these ad the 7th degree to the triad and again form a special set of chords.

that is all covered in Justin's Practical Music Theory and fairly easy to learn. It really is a must know through that point.

After that things move into the extended chords that add 9th, 11ths, 13ths and sharp and flat some of those. these form the Jazzier chords you hear a lot but may not know what they are.... like Steely Dan for instance or Joe Pass.

this will get you a long way though and is the easiest fastest way to just get your basis of how it's all put together.. http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-PracticalMusicTheory.php

Or, just read the lessons on notes, scales, chords, the Jazz section for the advanced.
http://justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php  the book just makes it easier and a guided logical concise manner.

Gone

Offline FChris

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »
@Endureth

This page is awesome. It gives a few great ideas.
Though I am not going to use his maps I will adapt this idea to help learning my own Music Theory.
Nice idea :-)
Guitar is a lot about getting there, not arriving. - Drubbing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App