Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 157877 times)

PhillD

Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:32 pm »
Thumb over method is just like anything else, practice. I found it much easier if I practiced bend technique as your thumb naturally moves up to allow you to put in a good bend.

Also use the 'easy' F shape with a thumb over to begin with and just mute with the thumb as its faster (by that I mean the one beginners use instead of full barre) and then once your used to getting there in time then start getting it perfect. That's what I did.

Don't be afraid to start slow though as practicing too fast means you take twice as long to learn something anyway!
Good luck mate and let me know if there's anyway we can help you along.

bradjhicks

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:53 am »
Hi i have a very short little finger. It barely goes past the first crease of my ring finger. this is making it quite difficult to reach the 5th string without muting the 4th string. My question is... is it possible to barre 5th & 4th string with the ring finger? I struggle to bend it in an attempt to avoid the 3rd string. Sorry if this seems a bit vague but i'm really eager to get barre chords down.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Brad

PhillD

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2009, 08:37:53 am »
It is possible on E based barre chords (major and minor) but I wouldn't recommend it if you mute strings, also it will limit your ability to do later barres such as 6th chords as you won't be as flexible. I use the barre you are talking about with power chords, but not full chords. When starting out with barres its always awkward, however you will find you can stretch much further after a while.

Don't worry it will all work out it just takes a bit of time and dedication.

bradjhicks

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »
Thanks i will continue to try the traditional way. To be honest it's not to bad untill i get to B onwards. Thats when the little finger accidently mutes notes.

alakran

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2009, 11:13:44 pm »

on the a shape barre, is it ok if i use my 1st and pinky to barre instead of the 1st and 3rd fingers. i can really bend my pinky and avoid the 1st string and the first joint on my third finger doesn't bend at all. i'm just asking in case i need my pinky for something that i haven't learned yet. ;)

PhillD

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 11:30:17 am »
Alakran - if it works you can do it but you may be storing up problems for the future, for instance 6th chords would become harder when you get to them. Much better to do it the standard way if you can.

Marcz2007

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »
On Justin's video of 'Can't Stop' by Red Hot Chile Peppers, he uses a G and D barre chord and he hasn't said how to do it. Can anyone give me a link to a website which does, or could someone upload a video on it?

PhillD

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »
Right Mark if you can do an E shape barre chord or an A shape barre chord then you can do a G and D barre (actually you can do it in two positions). If that makes no sense then take a look at the tab below (if you've never seen tab before then the numbers are the fret you should play and an x means don't play that string):

E shape barre chord of G (called E shape as uses fingers for E family of chords)
e  3
B  3
G  4
D  5
A  5
E  3
You play it by lying your first finger across all 6 strings at the 3rd fret and then with your remaining fingers make the E major chord shape. Your first finger is replacing the nut. You can now play any chord simply by moving this shape up and down the fretboard.

A shape barre chord of G
e  10
B  12
G  12
D  12
A  10
E  x
Similar system to the E shape but lay your first finger flat across only 5 strings (touch the tip to the sixth string to mute it). Then form the A major chord with your remaining fingers.

both of the above are G but in two different positions
To play can't stop play the E based G and then move then play the following A shape of D

e   5
B   7
G   7
D   7
A   5
E   x

If you want more info on barre chords go and look at Justin's video lesson, but these take time and if your starting out they will seem pretty hard. Don't worry they always are but they are some of the most useful chords you will ever learn. If you watch Justin's video he demonstates the barre chords technique.

Now to create a chord you just move the barre up the fretboard, remembering that the marker dots on your guitar can really help you along, below are what the markers are on the first 12 frets:

Position    1       3       5       7       9      12
E String    F       G       A       B      C#     E
A String    Bb     C       D       E      F#      A

Hope this helps you along and remember its hard because its worth doing - and then you'll seem even cooler to your friends when they can't do it and you can... until you teach them.

Marcz2007

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:30 pm »
give you give me more tabs like that for d barre chord and B minor barre chords
thanks for the help

PhillD

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »
Marc If you look at what I said about the tabs of the chords you just have to know the root notes to know where to form the chords, to make it clearer I will show you but you should be able to work it out. If that isn't clear let me know as this is fundamental for you to understand and use barre chords, without it you just learnt two chords instead of shed load.

D barre chord in 2 positions:
The E shape (root on the E string) - find D on your E string and form E major shape with barre
e  10
B  10
G  11
D  12
A  12
E  10

The A shape (root on the A string) - find D on the A string and form A major shape with barre
e  5
B  7
G  7
D  7
A  5
E  x

Now that Bm barre in 2 positions
E shape - find B on E string and form Em with a barre
e  7
B  7
G  7
D  9
A  9
E  7

A shape - find B on A string and form Am with a barre
e   2
B   3
G   4
D   4
A   2
E   x

You should be able to work out any chord on either A root or E root now just by finding the note, forming a barre with your first finger and then using the remaining fingers to form a major or minor chord (if A shape its A maj or Am shape, if its E based then do E major or Em).

Learn the notes on the neck and get those shapes I have told you and you can play any chord with a barre.

kelt

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2009, 07:09:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

I did a bit of easy transcribing last night and found that THE KINKS, You really got me is an excellent tune to practice your barre chords, my wrist was killing after half an hour of playing.

F G F G, then G A G A then C D C D and then repeat.

I think i have pretty good technique apart from the F chord where i do start to bend my wrist a bit but from G on i keep it good, but still try this song it will soon improve you barre chords and changes and is well cool imo.

PhillD

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2009, 09:50:41 pm »
Great shout there and a great band too, its worth looking at the 60s and 70s bands as these were the big barre chord users. 70s was the power chord age.

Another tune that can sound good with barres is a simplified All Along The Watchtower:
Am G F G is the riff, sounds close enough with a simple rhythm

alakran

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 03:17:43 pm »
Alakran - if it works you can do it but you may be storing up problems for the future, for instance 6th chords would become harder when you get to them. Much better to do it the standard way if you can.

thanks phil. i'll keep working on it.

ashman1

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2009, 03:18:31 pm »
help.  im new to the site and new to the guitar.  been playing about 3 months.  when im looking at some stuff and they say 'put this finger on the root then to the octave' what does this mean.  wheres a good place to learn about roots and octaves and how to decipher a chord?

j_dunn

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2009, 03:43:17 pm »
ACk.. ok interesting problem I can do all of the Barre Chords fine on my electric no problem... On my acoustic however I cannot get the 2nd string to ring no matter how much pressure I put on it (and I put enough that my thumb starts to hurt fiercly).  What happens is the 2nd string kind of digs (not painfull or anything but if I look I can tell it is happening) into the fleshy part of the last section of the finger causing it to "mute" rather than ring as it never actually goes down onto the fret board.  No clue why the 1st string doesn't do it, especially as the first thing I checked was my action and the 2nd is closer to the fret board than the first, and it is the same all up and down the neck.

Any ideas as I have been trying to get this on my acoustic for days?  Maybe tips for losing weight in my first finger :) ? I know that brings so many lovely images to mind.

PhillD

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2009, 04:12:21 pm »
ash - a root is the note that gives the chord its name, for all intents and purposes. In many cases it is the lowest note you will play (not always though but for now think of it as a general rule) in a chord. So for instance an A barre chord using all 6 strings must use the E string and the A note will be on that string. An octave is the repeated note within a scale, for instance an A major scale would go from A to A. A two octave scale goes from A to A across all 6 strings.

An easy way of finding a note is to learn all the notes on the bottom two strings (E and A) and then to find the notes on the next two strings you simply move two strings down and two across. So to find A on the 4th string you find A on the 6th string and move down to the 4th string then two frets towards the bridge. So A on the 4th string is on the 7th fret, as its on the 5th fret of the 6th string. Simple eh.
To find a note on the 1st and 2nd string you have to go two strings down and 3 frets across.

Here is an example of octaves in an A major scale:

e                                                                       4   5 (octave)
B                                                         5     7
G                                          4   6    7
D                           4   6   7(octave)   
A              4  5  7
E   5(root)   7

j_dunn - keep at it the strings on an acoustic are a lot thicker and harder to fret than those on an electric. Don't press on too hard or you will spread your fingers and deaden the strings anyway

j_dunn

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2009, 06:54:26 pm »
Thanks Phill for the tip.. Though it is going to keep driving me nuts till I get it down :).

Also Ash another tip on deciphering chords is that all chords follow rules:

A Major chord is made up of the 1st - 3rd - 5th notes of the Key so an E Chord is made up of E (first note of the key of E) - G# (3rd note of the key of E) - B Nat. (5th note of the key of E)

The way you decipher the keys is just, well frankly memorizing them... easiest way is using circle of fifths which I didn't see on the site so I apologize if my rendition in text sucks.

C
       F     G
    Bb         D
  Eb             A
 Ab                E
Db                   B

Ok so it's not pretty, not a circle, and I left out Gb/F#  but it is enough to get us by, especially given unless you are playing something really off the wall and complicated you probably won't be doing Db, B, or F#/Gb keys anytime soon. I just added those for the Ab.  C is all naturals, nothing sharped, nothing flatted.  Now if you start going clockwise you hit G.

The natural major keys (GDAEB) Start on the F of the wheel and go clockwise to determine sharps.  So, the Key of G has 1 sharp, F.  Key of D has two, F and C, and so on.

Now for the key of F and the Flatted keys you start on the Bb and go counter clockwise (anti-clockwise across the pond) and do the same thing.  So the key of F has 1 flat, Bb.  The key of Bb has two, Bb and Eb, and so on.

The way this works on figuring out chords is say you want to play a D maj chord.  You know the key has 2 sharps, F and C, and that major chords are 1-3-5.  So starting out you have D as your 1, F# as the third, A as your 5th.  And if you look at the guitar strings for the open D Maj Chord you'll find you have D-A-D-F# as the structure (or A-D-A-D-F# if you play your open A string as well but technically that's an inversion).

For a minor chord you lower the third 1 semi-tone so for your D chord it would be D,F,A thus the reason you have XX0231 for the fingering of the Dmin chord (D-A-D-F).

Of course after that you get into Dom 7ths, and Suses (replace the third with another note such as a Dsus2 you would play the first string open as you remove the F# and replace it with E which is the second note of the D scale), and a whole bunch of other rules.  But learn the major/minor rules first and everything becomes easy after that.

Don't know if you wanted all this info and I hope it helps understand chords a bit better.  I know when I was doing music theory in high school and college it opened up a lot once I got those rules and the circle of fifths through my head.

j_dunn

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »
Quick followup since I mentioned inversions above so you can see how they can effect chord sounds.  When a 3rd of a chord (remember they are 1-3-5) is the bass (or lowest) note it is considered a first inversion, when it is the 5th then it's the second inversion (such as if you play the open A string in a D-Maj chord), playing a 7th with the 7th in the bass in a third inversion, etc.  Depending on the song you generally want your first as the bass note.

j_dunn

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
Really I'm not trying to hog the thread, but Phill I figured out what I was doing wrong, thanks for telling me to just keep practicing.  I watched the Barre chord video about 4 times today and then sat down with my guitar and looked at how I was trying to do the Barre chord.  What turned out was happening was I was trying to keep my hand the same way I always keep it when playing normally (thumb lined up on the backside of the neck from the middle of the second and third fingers).

Soon as I noticed that I made an effort instead to line it up with the first finger (kind of like pinching my finger together) and suddenly it all came together.  Thanks for the support Phil.

PhillD

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2009, 11:18:47 am »
j_dunn - no problem mate we all had to learn somewhere and its the nightmare that you always think your doing it completely wrong when 9 times out of 10 you are virtually there.

renan

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 03:00:14 am »
- talking about the ways you can do an A shape barre chord -

For example, you make a C with your 3rd, 4th and 5th finger making a line, and bar the 1st and 5th string with your 1st finger.

in this case you are playing the highest note, which would be and G, right?

but if you make a C chord using only the 1st and 3rd finger, you'll be barring the 1st fret, as you said in the video.

Isn't that wrong? skip a note? depends on the song?

thanks!

PhillD

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 09:03:25 am »
renan you can make an A shape version of the C chord by barring with your first finger and then individually with your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers the required notes or you can use a barred third finger to cover the three notes. Then the G note will be sounded which is required. I think this was what they were referring to. Just be careful not to fret the e string with your 3rd finger barre or you'll change it into a 6th chord instead which won't sound right. If you end up fretting that e string all the time try and mute it instead.

kinshuk4

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2009, 08:44:34 pm »
Hi justin, I have been watching your guitar lesson since few months.
You are really great teacher. I have learned a lot from you and still learning.
In your barre chords lesson you taught the style for A shape barre chords. I
am now okay with it but still some times I want to let my 1st string ring as well.......

eg. Holding D barre with A shape:
a) your way
e  x
B  7
G  7
D  7
A  5
E  x

b) but sometime it is required to play:
e  5
B  7
G  7
D  7
A  5
E  x

Sir, please help me out. It would be nice to hear from you on this. How to hold such configuration of chords.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:54:14 pm by kinshuk4 »

PhillD

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2009, 12:38:38 am »
kinshuk4 I'm guessing you use you play your A shape major barre chords using two barred fingers. If you are catching or muting the top E string (the higher pitch E string if you're unsure) then you have to revert to fingering the A shape with your remaining fingers.

An example of the fingers used:

e  first finger barre
B  little finger
G  3rd finger
D  2nd finger
A  first finger barre
E  mute

this allows the top e string to ring out the note. It will seem tricky if you have been barring them but you need to be able to do both. Also it doesn't matter if the tab you get of the internet says play the 1st string, the note will sound pretty much spot on whether you play it or not as all the notes of the chord will be present.
Hope this helps and if you need any more explanation just post again and I'll explain as best I can.

kinshuk4

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2009, 04:00:01 am »
Thank you sir for helping me out.
Ya I play the A shape chord with 2 finger barre, which you show in the lesson.
Thank you once again  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App