Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 157879 times)

san26v

Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 05:17:22 pm »
hi justin,
      2 start wit i wud lik 2 remind u and ppl here tat i had posted on the same topic sometime ago..n happy 2 say tat i was successful at gettin my "basic"
barre chord....
n "quite effortlessly"...
persistence pays ppl...n i mean it lik hell..
n unfortunately u learn tis only after gettin ur chops rite..! ;D
..now anothr prob tat i face is pretty genuine..i now feel i m unable to get the tone of the 3rd string wen i lift of the 2nd finger 4 gettin the corres. minor chord...
so i made a slight adjustment of pushin my 1st finger a bit higher(..slightly..!!)2 get tat finger pressing the 3rd string...

now i lift of 2nd and the 4th string 4 the minor 7th...n i m in a soup...tat bit of adjustment jus doesn help now...
i feel tis is bcoz of the fleshy part between the 1st finger tip and the mid point of it....mayb mine is slightly bony in the middle tat it gives way 2 a small gap jus b4 the mid point of my finger..

justin plz help....!!!
others plz post ur views on wat cud possibly b ur soln 2 tis..
thnx in advance....!!

flyhead

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 05:24:12 pm »
my guess would be that your ring finger is too far away from the fretwire; i had some bother with this too. the only cure is to repeat, repeat and repeat, concentrating on getting your fingers spread. things will resolve slowly, slowly, slowly.
  also, try to place your thumb vertically just inside your barring finger. it takes time to develop strength and technique.
 you'll get more replies on this.

I meant the 2ND STRING, you know, second smallest one.
Apologies, it won't happen again.

Offline agordon

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »
Apologies, it won't happen again.
Lol. I doubt it, but at least you apologized.   :D  Flyhead, you seem to be turning the corner with this apology and your conversion to a Catholic priest.  ;D

cazmaestro: I had this same problem.  The only thing that worked for me is to use the combination of both my ring finger and pinky finger to hold down the three notes.  I also mute the bottom E string with my ring finger.  This may not be the solution for you as everyone is different.  Let us know how you come along.
Guitars: Taylor 314CE, Guild D50 Dreadnought, Alvarez RD8, Gibson LP Std. Trad. Pro, Warmoth Custom Strat, MIA Strat, MIM Tele, PRS SE Singlecut
Amps: Blackstar HT-5S, Peavey Classic VT 2X12, Kustom KMA35DFX
Effects: Line6 JM4, Vox Tonelab ST

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 05:48:47 pm »
hi justin,
      2 start wit i wud lik 2 remind u and ppl here tat i had posted on the same topic sometime ago..n happy 2 say tat i was successful at gettin my "basic"
barre chord....
..now anothr prob tat i face is pretty genuine..i now feel i m unable to get the tone of the 3rd string wen i lift of the 2nd finger 4 gettin the corres. minor chord...
so i made a slight adjustment of pushin my 1st finger a bit higher(..slightly..!!)2 get tat finger pressing the 3rd string...

now i lift of 2nd and the 4th string 4 the minor 7th...n i m in a soup...tat bit of adjustment jus doesn help now...
i feel tis is bcoz of the fleshy part between the 1st finger tip and the mid point of it....mayb mine is slightly bony in the middle tat it gives way 2 a small gap jus b4 the mid point of my finger..

justin plz help....!!!
thnx in advance....!!

Hey San

Sorry dude but I don't really understand.

And I must say your grammar/spelling is awful. Do you speak English or are you from somewhere else?

If you are UK or US you need to work on that dude - not being nasty but what you wrote is crazy xx--xx!

If you are not a natural english speaker then accept my apologies!

Try again ;)

J

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline DeadlyChicken

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
I think he is having trouble playing the E minor shaped barre chords and getting the flattened third to sound out.

Its a common issue for sure, try using the side of your index finger more for the barre as the string may be sitting in  one of the knuckle joint is a solution, but its hard to say for sure without seeing your hand position.
Gear:~
Electric
Epiphone Les Paul Std, Fender MIM Strat, Gherson SG copy
Amps
Roland Cube 30X, V Amp pro, Marshall DSL401
Acoustic
Ashton SL29CEQ, Fender Malibu SCE
FX
TU-2, crybaby JH-1b, DS-2, EH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai

san26v

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:28 am »
hi justin,
barre chord....

justin plz help....!!!
thnx in advance....!!

Hey San

Sorry dude but I don't really understand.

And I must say your grammar/spelling is awful. Do you speak English or are you from somewhere else?

If you are UK or US you need to work on that dude - not being nasty but what you wrote is crazy xx--xx!

If you are not a natural english speaker then accept my apologies!

Try again ;)

J

hi justin,
i m from india.and i do speak english and have no hassles with it whatsoever,just tat i shorten my words whenever i type to save time at both the ends..my side and your side alike...
maybe tats the reason u found my spellings so ...
hope this post is clear to u at least.
and my apologies to u for having wasted your time over my shorthand
anyways..in short this is what i meant.
no matter what i do to adjust my index finger's position i m unable to get the tone of the third string when playing my minor7 'e' shaped barre
and thats bcoz of the fact that i try to adjust my first finger a bit while playing my minor barre shape(this adjustment in turn is bcoz of the fact that i dont get the tone of the 3rd string while playing my minor barre shape).
but my major position seems absolutely fine and i hav no problems with it...

-sant
plz help me.

thanks for your prompt reply.

san26v

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 09:18:36 am »
I think he is having trouble playing the E minor shaped barre chords and getting the flattened third to sound out.

Its a common issue for sure, try using the side of your index finger more for the barre as the string may be sitting in  one of the knuckle joint is a solution, but its hard to say for sure without seeing your hand position.

dude is it fine to adjust your index finger's position (push it upwards further...)when u change from ,say,fmaj to fmin???..coz if i just lift  my middle finger in order to get its corresponding minor chord( just as justin demonstrates in the video)  i feel i don get the tone of the note in the 3rd string.
now going further i gotto make another v difficult adjustment to play the corresponding min7..
thanx 4 your view dude..
hope u understood wat i wanted 2 convey here..
and that u don have a problem with my English 2 here. ;)

-sant

bohs

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »
Hey justin
Man i tried to do everything i can to get the 1st and 2nd strings to sound in my barre chord by i cant get it consistently,sometimes i can get them to sound and sometimes i cant.....i dunno which 1st finger position is right......or is it just i'm not pressing down hard enough
can u plz help???

Laurence26

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2008, 06:13:54 pm »
Does someone know an easy song
that uses barré chords?
Just for practising them or so...

PhillD

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2008, 08:12:35 pm »
Laurence - take any open chord song and just play the open chords as barres (should sound ok) but just in case you are fretting (no pun intended) about what you should play here's a couple:

All Along The Watchtower (simplified)- Am, G , F, G

Here's a nice chord progression you can try though, bit longer but just off the top of my head - should test all you have learned nicely:
|:D | Bm7 | Em | A7:| F#m7 | Bm | G. A.| Dmaj7|
Any of those chords you don't understand just sustitute for a standard chord instead of the 7th ie Dmaj7 would become D or F#m7 would become F#m.
Good luck and don't worry if it takes time, I still get a mute every now and then and been doing them 2 yrs.

Laurence26

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2008, 06:58:01 pm »
thanks Phill,
That helped a lot.

PhillD

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2008, 08:52:39 pm »
No problem Lawrence and like I said it may take time. Also learn the notes on E and A string for each fret marker ie 3 = G & C (6th and 5th string), 5=A & D, 7=B & E. This will help you find your fret quicker.
Also remember you can play a barre chord on both the A and E shape, so if an E shape barre looks a long distance from the chord your playing there's usually a nice A shaped one a lot closer and easier to get to.
Have fun and good luck.

bear

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 12:56:14 am »
heyy,
im fairly new to playing guitar. i really want to be able to play the Bm barre chord for a song ["trouble," coldplay], but my hand is simply not large enough. i have tried to manuever my hand to get my fingers on both frets, but i cant do it! are there any tips you can give me, or is there a substitute chord i can use?
thanks!

PhillD

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:11 am »
This is a sparse version of Bm that you can use at a push until you learn the full version - basically its the bottom three notes of the barre chord and D string played open. Play it at the 2nd fret. It sounds ok but doesn't have the full body of a proper barre chord.

Bm easy (notes B, D & F# in the chord)

E 2
B 3
G 4
D O
A X
E X

It is quick to get to and handy if you play the easy F chord (same principle really).
As you are probably thinking about it you can play the easy B Chordusing the same principle

B easy chord (notes are B, F#, D# in B major so it fits)

E 2
B 4
G 4
D 4
A x
E x

Hope this helps you out and speeds things up for you - as soon as possible though learn the barre chords - oh and do as many finger stretch exercises as you can. Full Barre chords make life a lot easier and stop you being confined to the first couple of frets for your chords.

Tomps

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »
I seem to have a little problem. In the 2nd video Justin told that the hand (wrist) should be kept straight. I notised that I haven't do like that so I tried it, but when I do it, I can't reach the thickest string with my 1st finger. My fingers just seem to be so short ;D. So do you think that this thing is absolutely necessary? Or does anybody have some tips to make my hand get into that position easily or does anybody have a finger growing potions? :D

-Tomps

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2008, 10:55:18 pm »
I'm not sure how you are positioning your hand, but you should be able to reach that string if you just play around with some different positioning. Like all things practice is the key.

But keeping your wrist fairly straight is very important. If it is bent very far you can hurt yourself, and develop things like carpal tunnel. I used to have the huge wrist bend when learning barre chords, and it hurt so bad I could hardly play for days. The thing that solved that issue for me was to keep the fretboard facing straight away from you, and avoid hunching over to try to get a view of the neck.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Tomps

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »
I got few pics for you to judge:

This first is how I naturally do it:

and this is how "correctly" I can do it, but I have to force my hand to this and it doesn't feel natural and it's hard to get all the strings pressed so no clear sound. I would even say that this position hurts my wrist a little bit (the first doesn't):

Now I'm asking you that is my natural position okay so I don't have to change it or should I "train" my hand to second position. I mean is my first position enough or not? I play all my "regular" chords with the first position too so is it so IMPORTANT? And doesn't the same thing go with the power chords too (with them I can't do better than first cause my fingers won't reach that far :/)?

Thanks

-Tomps
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:58:20 pm by Tomps »

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2008, 11:19:42 pm »
I'm not an expert so maybe someone more experienced has a different opinion, but I think the second position looks much better than the first. If there's no pain, then I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if possible I would try bend your wrist a little less, because eventually I think you could develop some problems.

I personally play them more like the second position (it's just about impossible to have NO bend in your wrist, but as little as possible is ideal), and I think with a little practice you should be able to comfortably do them that way.

But like I said if anyone has a different opinion then please share, because I am by no means an expert on this subject.

san26v

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 05:51:32 pm »
i personally feel mike42 is rite...though i m by no means n expert . i too faced the problem tomps faced but i feel the pain in ur wrist is actually a pain the botom most part of the 'tendon' caused by excessive pressing..the 2 parts i m refering to are...
the part between the thumb and index finger(..wat justin mentions in the video) 
and
the lowermost part of the thumb (the joint at the wrist..in other words the right side of the wrist wen your palms face downward)..for which u need 2 press slightly less n use the "pulling" of the string 2 compensate 4 the muting just in case..
or mayb u jus need a couple of days rest...n warm ups b4 practice..!

-sant

celticbhoypaul

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 04:58:23 pm »
Right, I don't really understand barre chords.

Does an E shape Barre chord sound different from an A shape and so on? If so, how do you know which one to use? And why would you change between them throughout a song?  And why do people use barre chords instead of open chords when open chords are easier? Obviously unless it's a chord that can only be played as a barre chord.

Thanks.

Deagle

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:21 pm »
hey guys, just had a little question...

when using the A-shape barre, in the vid. u mute both the E-strings, now the I get why u mute the thick one...but why do u mute the thin one? ur not supposed to mute it when u play a regular open A chord are u?

I'm not sure if it allrdy has been asked, if it has, its just me being too lazy to read up...

borth1967

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »
hi

still having problems to get my f barre chord to ring out at speed, any suggestions but i know..........just keep doin it.

regards jon

Yakow16

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 06:56:13 pm »
hi

still having problems to get my f barre chord to ring out at speed, any suggestions but i know..........just keep doin it.

regards jon

Yeah, just keep doing it, try to get it clear instead of doing it fast.

kinglaker23

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 06:46:08 pm »
i know this question has probably been asked already but when playing more of a funk barre chord, using your thumb on the root ...does anybody know any good practice routines to get better at using your thumb, without causing your high e string to mute from pulling your hand up?

Jeanguitar

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:06 am »
Bar Chords are unique to the guitar. They provide a guitar player with the ability to play nearly any chord that can be played in the open position on other parts of the neck. Bar chords are a great way for beginning or even experienced guitar players to play new music, learn new chords, and diversify the chords that they are already familiar with.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App