Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 124614 times)

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 374
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2010, 07:44:26 am »
practice further up the neck where you will find them a little easier ... maybe about the 5th fret

or use a capo up the neck

:)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2010, 02:37:32 pm »
Just keep playing them. I also have to have my index in a particular place depending on the guitar (nut width and scale length, even size of the body) of the guitar. Just try and see what gives you the best result - even if it isn't perfect you'll know where to put your finger and then just practice the strength and holding the chord for longer than a couple of beats. Good luck.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

gryan

« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2010, 06:28:35 pm »
I've been doing barre chord practice for about a month now, including the strengthening exercises of just barring 3/4/5/6 strings on frets moving along the neck.

My positioning is good and my strength is coming along, but I have one nagging problem: I can't seem to get the B string to ring out well because it falls into a valley on the underside of my knuckle. I don't know whether I have freak knuckles or what, but even moving my finger up or down slightly doesn't make much of a difference.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2010, 10:08:34 pm »
Gryan - try slightly rotating your index finger so you are not placing it flat but using a bit of the edge ie presuming you are right handed slightly rotate out so you are using some of the left edge of your index finger.

Hard to explain in writing - hope that helps.....
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

gryan

« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »
Gryan - try slightly rotating your index finger so you are not placing it flat but using a bit of the edge ie presuming you are right handed slightly rotate out so you are using some of the left edge of your index finger.

Hard to explain in writing - hope that helps.....

Thanks, Bootstrap. I guess I'm just not rotating it enough yet. It's kinda hard to rotate that one finger while keeping the rest square.

flyhead

« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »
It's only a slight rotation, and it's equally important to find out where the 'dead spots' on your finger are, i.e. where the joints and creases are on your finger, and to adjust your hand's position accordingly. Try out different positions at the 5th fret before going for a stretchy 'F' or 'F#'.

gryan

« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
It's only a slight rotation, and it's equally important to find out where the 'dead spots' on your finger are, i.e. where the joints and creases are on your finger, and to adjust your hand's position accordingly. Try out different positions at the 5th fret before going for a stretchy 'F' or 'F#'.

I guess that's a good term for what I am describing. My dead spots much be HUGE. ;-)

alexmdac

« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2010, 05:00:48 am »
When holding A-shaped barre chords, what do you think about using the third finger to down hold both the D and G strings, and the fourth finger to hold the B string?

Lifting up the fourth finger's knuckle seems easier this way, since it can lift of the fretboard around the B string.  I can reliably get the high e string to ring out when I use this fingering.

I'm still new to barre chords.  Is it a good idea to persevere with this technique?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 374
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03:42 am »
When holding A-shaped barre chords, what do you think about using the third finger to down hold both the D and G strings, and the fourth finger to hold the B string?
... Is it a good idea to persevere with this technique?

it'll work, you're almost in to power chord fingering there
but
I would advise you persevere with holding  d, g, b either
a] with 3rd finger
b] with 4th finger
c] with 2nd, 3rd & 4th

later on you will want to be able to do fills and add-on notes to those chords so keep at it

:)

use

sugaradam

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:28 pm »
Could anybody help in a practical question on changing between barre chords, please? I am trying to keep my hand and arm and shoulder as it is said in the video, but my lower arm muscle (the one under the elbow) is very tense at all times while holding down the chord, and gets really tired very soon. Is that natural and it will get better? Or am I doing something wrong? thank you!

Dii

« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
in A-shape barre chords, i can't flex my 3rd finger so my 1st string is always muted. I was thinking of using what alexmdac said, use the 4th finger to fret the b string. However, i don't know if its important if the 1st string rings. It sounds better to me, but i'd want some feedback :d
Thanks !  ;D

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »
.... i don't know if its important if the 1st string rings. It sounds better to me, but i'd want some feedback :d
Thanks !  ;D

I'm positive that Justin has said before that it doesn't matter if the 1st string rings out - if I remember correctly, he said (on one of his early-ish ustream shows) that something like 50% of people he taught couldn't get the top e to sound.

I'm pretty sure he comments on it in the intermediate 'A' shaped barre chord lesson, too.

So no worries, as long as it's muted.

Andy

BrenoAkiy

« Reply #282 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:10 pm »
So, I started Intermediate Course like a week ago and I'm having trouble with minor, 7, and minor 7 chords, specially F chords.
The thing is, I can do them fine on 3rd and higher frets most of the time (I mess up on F#min/F#min7 sometimes). But when I try to play a Fmin for example, I have to place my 1st finger a little higher (my nail stays off the guitar neck). If I try playing it the same way I play other minor chords, the 3rd string keeps buzzing most of the time. As for Fmin7, I can't even do it, lol.
So the question is, should I keep playing this way, with a different finger placement on Fmin/F#min, or should I just practice the "right way"?
btw, is the Fmin chord common in songs? It seems that F#min chord is quite common, but I've never seen Fmin in a song...

Oh, and sorry for any english mistake, not my main language...
 :P

Offline Jonny5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:26 am »
I don't think it'd be wise to learn two positions for one chord shape to be honest. I haven't come across Fm in many songs (Space Oddity I think?) but you don't wanna just avoid it if that's what you're suggesting. I would say the position that allows you to play Fm is the correct one for you, and if you can get used to it playing higher up will seem that much easier.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 86
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »
Definitely try to get that F#m under your belt. It is a lot more commoon (as it's often found in the key of D (iii), E (ii) and A (vi). The Fm won't be that much of an extra stretch when you do get it in a song at some point.

Good luck.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App