Author Topic: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)  (Read 157878 times)

Offline TomaszJ

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: CH-006 • Basic Barre Chords (incl. all four vid lessons)
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2009, 10:43:25 pm »
Okay, so I've got two problems.

First of all, I've started mastering my barres. After few days of hard work there are some effects (persistence pays off ;) ) but here's the catch: it's all ok when I play them sitting but I just can't play them clearly while standing (the same problem with power chords). Just like too short arms or something. Any tips?

And the second thing - the barres up the neck are becoming more and more difficult for me to play. I can barre third fret quite easily but on let's say ninth fret the B and G strings are often muted and on twelvth it's just worse. I think that with some practice I'll be able to barre them but is it normal?

PhillD

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:49 am »
Tom - its normally the other way around, barres are normally easier higher up. Problem almost certainly is your strings falling into creases in your fingers, as you move around the neck you may find you need to move you positioning ever so slightly or roll your finger slightly to prevent this. It'll all become natural though.

With the standing up thing, I think you either have the guitar slung too low or the neck too low, problem with that is it pulls you into weird positions you don't find yourself in when sitting. Don't try and emulate all the 'cool' looking low-slung punk players get it in a good position for you otherwise you'll end up with back and shoulder pain and some duff notes. Take it from one who used to play Green Day with a strat that could smack my knees!

Austin23

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2009, 06:53:46 pm »
Hi,
Im learning my barre chords, and i have a problem...i cant square up my other fingers, they lean over towards the first. Can anyone help me fix this? Maybe thumb placement or something...i have no idea.

Thanks,
Austin

zander-swan

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »
ok so i can do the basic E shape with four fingers.  it sounds clear and i have every note ringing out but i can seem to get the Em shape with 3 fingers. ive tryed again and again. rolled my finger over, pressed as hard as i can and supported my first finger with my second but cant seem to get all the notes clear! it is doing my head in  :'(

any ideas reply to this or email me :)
[email protected]

PhillD

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »
Zander sounds like the problem is on the 3rd string to me, hence when you lift off your second finger it isn't sounding, make sure your not pulling your free finger too far from the frets and check you are applying pressure along your barring finger, not the tip or other end.

Keep trying and you will get it, best thing I can suggest is start at higher frets - ie A barre is good start as plenty of room and easy fret - and start with major barre and try moving to a minor and back.

Bearny

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »
Hi!
Im just alittle confused by something and was wondering if any of you guys can explain it to me. In the lesson with A shaped bar chords, when Justin is playing it Major, the first way is to bar with your first finger and use 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger to get the A shape one fret higher, playing all the strings except low E, that's understandable, but what I don't get is when he is showing the other shape, when you use your first finger to bar the strings and use your second finger to bar the D,G and B string and then you're supposed to mute the high e string aswell, both e strings.
Why is that? I mean, it's the same chord, why mute one string if you use the first shape and 2 strings if you use the other?
Gets me quite confused, can anyone expain this? Maybe im just stupid  :P

Thanks!

Kyron

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:43 pm »
Hi!
Im just alittle confused by something and was wondering if any of you guys can explain it to me. In the lesson with A shaped bar chords, when Justin is playing it Major, the first way is to bar with your first finger and use 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger to get the A shape one fret higher, playing all the strings except low E, that's understandable, but what I don't get is when he is showing the other shape, when you use your first finger to bar the strings and use your second finger to bar the D,G and B string and then you're supposed to mute the high e string aswell, both e strings.
Why is that? I mean, it's the same chord, why mute one string if you use the first shape and 2 strings if you use the other?
Gets me quite confused, can anyone expain this? Maybe im just stupid  :P

Thanks!

I don't think he is saying that you should mute the high e string, just that it can be very difficult to bar the B, G, and D strings, without your finger touching the high e string.
Although how easy/hard this is depends on the length of your fingers.

Bearny

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2009, 07:56:19 am »
Holding the chord is no problem, Im just alittle confused, just to get it clarified, if im doing the A shaped bar chord with 1st finger baring all strings, muting low e and my 3rd finger is baring G,D,B, should the high e be muted or bared?
I just don't wanna get used doing it the wrong way and develop a bad habit  :)

Thanks!

Kyron

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2009, 04:52:20 pm »
The high e should be barred by your 1st finger, and not touched by your 3rd finger.

Bearny

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2009, 08:32:59 pm »
Okey, got it! thanks alot

DSX_Guitarist

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2009, 03:30:24 am »
not quite sure if this is the place to ask this....but when someone does barre chords, do they also get calluses on their barre finger....to that matter, is it even supposed to feel slightly uncomfortable?

rendelven

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
not quite sure if this is the place to ask this....but when someone does barre chords, do they also get calluses on their barre finger....to that matter, is it even supposed to feel slightly uncomfortable?

Yes, You can develop calluses on your barre finger.

What do you mean by uncomfortable? Do you feel pain?

Barres take a lot more strength to do properly than your regular open chords. This can mean your hand and forearm might become a bit sore when first starting. It is recommended that you don't overdo it when you first start out - be sure to rest frequently and stretch your fingers/hand!

HUIP

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2009, 06:33:57 am »
i guys i was just wondring if you can help me , coz i m having problems with knowing the root note on each chord,  how can i determine the root note  of each chord so i can know the name of it, i mean is there any rule to follow or i just have to learn the root notes by heart from your guide chords , thanks guys

Kyron

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2009, 01:30:09 am »
The root note is the lowest note you play, so it will be the note you are fretting on the thickest string you are playing.
So for example if you are doing E shaped Barre chords, the thickest string you play is the low E string, so the root note will be the note on this string, wherever you place your Barre. So at the first fret the root note is F, and the chord would be an F, because the note on the first fret of the E string is F. likewise with 3rd fret is G, 5th fret is A, etc.

If you do A shaped Barre Chords, you dont play the Low E string, so the root note is on the A string. So 2nd fret is B, 3rd fret is C, 5th fred is D, etc.

Sl8sh

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:05 am »
I'm just posting a question.

I'm struggling with barre chords.  Right now I can only finger, I guess it's called the moveable barred E form, and my way of practicing is to hold the shape and slide it up and down the fretboard.  When I've done this I lose clarity of the chord or not all the strings can be heard.  I believe that the finger I'm using to barre is probably doing something wrong and I'm not sure what it could be.  Any advice for barre chords?  Other than they are really hard to finger.

Kyron

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2009, 01:39:44 am »
What I did was practice putting it down at a few different places on the neck, then adjust my position untill I get a clear sound.
You do have to make slight alterations (or at least I do) when you move along the neck, but just by essentially learning the position for a few different places, it should become natural to find the right position when moving the chord.

So I reccommend just getting it right at a few places, such as the 1st fret, the 5th fret, and the 10th fret, I think that was enough for me, maybe trying a few other places on the neck might help too.

And if it still doesn't work at first don't worry, you may find that one day it just clicks and you can do it well.

Sl8sh

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2009, 03:23:53 am »
Thank you so much!

I'll put it in my practice routine.  I'm beginning to really like the forum.

PhillD

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »
Sl8sh a good place to start out is at the 5th fret, its nice and centralish to the neck and I always start there, then move it to 3rd fret, then 1st fret and then 9th or 10th fret. Things always seem more difficult when you are nearer the nut with barres and also when the frets get closer together (10th onwards) so don't be surprised if you struggle a bit here.

royp

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »
I believe that the finger I'm using to barre is probably doing something wrong and I'm not sure what it could be. 

Are you using the side of your first finger nearest your thumb to make the bar? The reason I ask is that if you are practising sliding the bar up and down you may be letting your first finger go onto the palm side rather than the edge. The finger needs to be rolled over partly on to its edge every time you move it and replace it to get a good sound.

Justin explains the technique very well starting around 4 minutes into the first video on this page I link to here -

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-006-BasicBarres.php

Except that he stays in one position without moving the bar. When you move the bar you need to put that roll on the finger again as you press down at the new position.

It is difficult to explain, but using the flat of the finger is the most common mistake I see people make with barres.

You don't need to use the edge exactly, it is just rolled over towards the edge. Easy enough to show someone, but difficult to put into words. I have seen at least one other video where Justin demonstrates it.

I also practice moving the bar up and down as part of my routine, it builds strength as well as accuracy. Getting it right will become natural with practice, as long as you start with the right method.

I also find that it is easier to start with the bar at the 5th fret. Justin is demonstrating it at the 1st fret, which can be more difficult to start with, as are the higher frets, as PhillD wrote. If your guitar action is a bit high at the nut then the 1st fret bar is a struggle, and with the higher frets I find there seems not to be enough room for my fingers between the frets unless I get it just right.

Sl8sh

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2009, 02:26:17 am »
I gave it a shot and found out that I was pressing all the strings with my barred finger.   ;D hehehehehehehe.....thanks for helping me catch myself.  Also thanks for providing better practicing strategies. 

Offline brunel

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2009, 01:25:33 am »
Help! I have been playing guitar for about 2 years, and whenever I play barre chords or even power chords, it really hurts my hand. In particular, the arm and wrist part. The problem isnt helped by the fact I have small hands. It means when Im playing through a song with mainly barre chords, I have to stop and have a rest for a minute! I have watched Justin's videos on barre chords, and I still cant work out how to straighten my wrist whilst still holding the chord. Can anyone help? Its getting very annoying as I have composed a few of my own songs which use these chords, and its painful to play them.

Thanks

Sl8sh

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2009, 03:03:40 am »
Hmm....are you playing sitting up or sitting down?  That could be.  Other than that I would just say practice and perserverance would be the key.  And everyone has there own speed of learning barred chords.  Some catch one quick and others it takes longer.  Also check to make sure that your not applying alot of pressure to just hold the strings down.  There could be alot of things. 

Sorry if I'm not that helpful.   :)

aging_bimbo

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2009, 05:42:13 am »
You do have to build up the hand strength for barre chords - it's taken me forever to get the hang of them. To get your wrist a bit straighter you could try bringing your elbow in a bit closer to your body - and try not to rotate the neck towards you in order to see the fretboard. I also found it was a lot easier to play barre chords standing up. If you have pain, you need to give it a rest and fix whatever posture issues are causing it, you don't want to give yourself tendonitis.

Sl8sh

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2009, 06:08:29 am »
Aging Bimbo is right.  Give it time.  Also, someone gave me this trick, take the finger you're using to barre the chord with and practice holding down the strings that your other fingers are not holding down.  Also make sure your barring finger is sort of on its edge vs. straight.  It'll make things easier with time and effort. 

Offline brunel

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »
Thanks for the help. What is the best way to build up hand strength? I read somewhere you can squeeze a tennis ball. Are there any other good ways/devices?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App