Author Topic: CH-004 • Power Chords (Part 1)  (Read 27477 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
Re: CH-004 • Power Chords (Part 1)
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
Power chords are a lot easier than barre chords and a whole lot faster(for me at least).  They have there purpose definitely.  When played with a lot of gain they sound really incredible especially played with all downstrokes.  It's a really powerful heavy sound!  I love the sound!
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

tawny

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:15 am »
thanks guys. just getting a good handle on barre chords. checked out the power chords and thought "this is an e shape barre chord". thought i may have been missing something. tried your suggestions bootstrap, now i think i get it. they do sound pretty crunchy. yay, more stuff to learn, it never ends ;D

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:49 am »
thanks guys. just getting a good handle on barre chords. checked out the power chords and thought "this is an e shape barre chord". thought i may have been missing something.

Well that same power chord shape also works with 5th string root notes as well - whereas e shape barre only works with 6th string roots
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »
One thing though  if playing a 5th string rooted power chord I'm having trouble muting the 6th string and when it rings out it sounds like crap. It's so very important to know how to do this with the tip of your finger against the "unwanted string".  Something else to try and perfect.  When that happens though it's like the angels singing. 
MG50DFX Marshall amp, Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

tawny

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 01:27:32 am »
hehe dont think ive ever sounded like an angel. yeah, just checked out 5th string roots, thats where my barre chord theory falls apart. also having some trouble muting the 6th. think im getting hooked though. power chords sound mighty with some volume and distortion.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 02:08:46 am »
So Tawny, tell what you don't understand about the barre chords and maybe I can help you out!  I'm not by any means a theory wizard but I have some knowledge tucked under my belt.  Have you checked Justin's barre chord tutorials out?  That just might be the ticket.

tawny

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 12:34:23 am »
dont really have a problem with barre chords, its just that when i was shown some power chords i didn`t understand how they were different to barre chords, seemed pretty much the same shape (till i got to the 5th string roots). thanks to you guys i now see the error of my ways. :)

Offline brj

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 09:48:24 am »
Dear Sir,
There is one thing I would like to understand regarding power chords. Can I use the same strumming patterns with power chords as with open chords?
If not, what strumming patterns can I use with power chords?
Thank you,

Offline misterg

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 09:55:23 am »
Can I use the same strumming patterns with power chords as with open chords?
If not, what strumming patterns can I use with power chords?
Thank you,

Hi,

You can use any strumming pattern you like :)

What you have to be careful of is that the thinnest 3 strings are muted by your first finger as Justin shows at about 5:00 in the video.

Andy

Offline wush1

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2015, 11:16:23 am »
A question about power chords.
What do power chords refer to exactly?

Are they any 1st and 5th degree of a scale being played simultaneously on any polyphonic instrument, like one could play the notes c and g on a piano?
Or do they describe a particular fingering on the guitar (root note on 6th or 5th string, 5th degree one string down, and an optional doubling of the root another string down) and are only used for the guitar?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:58:02 pm by wush1 »

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »
Chords strictly consisting of roots and 5ths.

The two most common shapes are 6th and 5th string root:

X
X
X
5  E shape A5

X
X
X  A shape D5

The higher root note is optional

But there are other shapes, like the 4th string root:

X
X
X  D shape G5

4th string root F power chord. 

Then there are open position power chords

X
3  Open G power chord

3 (or X)
X
X  Open C power chord.

And of course the first three can be played in the open position as well.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.