Author Topic: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords  (Read 60005 times)

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: CH-001 • Basic Open Chords
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »
The mini barre A chord is use a lot rock. Bands like ACDC and The Who.

With gain the high e string can be a bit overbearing.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »
Couple things to add on the mini-barre A:

Sometimes it sounds better to NOT play all the strings on a certain chord. It just comes down to the situation and the sound you want to achieve.

Other times it's more convenient to play the mini-barre and if high E string isn't important, you might as well play it the easiest way you can.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 276
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2014, 07:31:20 am »
@blueguern
you don't need to worry about it / analyse it so much
it's all good
just don't try too hard and / or worry about that top e

Offline laboheme

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2015, 11:21:30 pm »
Hello,

I am having difficulty with the C Chord. I can get the stretch and fingers are arched to arrive perpendicular to the board and pointing towards my face as per the video. To push down the 1st string strongly enough to give it a good sound, my index finger touches either the G or E string (mainly the E string). I am pushing on the string on the tip of my finger just under the nail. I have filed my nail. I have put my thumb on different parts of the neck and put my palm directly against the neck or hanging below the nect. I can get the note to sound ok but either I don't push hard on the index finger which makes that string sound bad or I do push in which case I hit against the E string. Thanks for any advice.

Daniel

Offline acnari

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2015, 08:09:01 pm »
Hello all,

I'm working my way through the beginner lessons (loving it!)-and something came up on one of the songs that I was working on learning (I can't seem to remember which one it was now). Justin, when you were describing the chords in the song, described the A as A major, and I think you did the same thing with E. I'm thinking that A and A major are the same thing, but I wasn't sure-also, what confused me more was thinking about the Fmaj7 chord. If A is the same as A major, then why would you need to say F"maj"7: wouldn't it just be F7? So, is there an Amaj? What's the difference? If there is an Amaj, then it has not been taught in the beginner lessons when a song with it is introduced.
Such is the nature of men, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned; Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves

-Thomas Hobbes-

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 276
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:48 pm »
Hi Acari welcome to the forum and it's good to know you're making progress with Justin's course.

Okay ...

A = A Major
E = E Major
And the same for other Major chords.
Dropping the Major or Maj is shorthand and for ease.
Major is conventionally written with a capital M, though not always.
If a chord is minor, it conventionally has a lower case m.

F Major 7 is not the same chord as F7 so the Major (or Maj) nomenclature cannot be dropped from describing those chords.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2015, 10:55:59 pm »
Just to confuse or intrigue you further, how would you describe the sound of Fmaj7? Or the (dominant) 7th chords like B7, C7, and G7? For comparison try a normal C (Major) chord and lift off your first finger to expose the open B string. How does that sound? It's C Major 7. Take a D chord, but use your 1st finger to fret the e, B, and G strings at the 2nd fret (like an A chord shifted up 1 string). How does that sound?

FWIW, Major 7th chords sound jazzy to me, and Dominant 7th chords sound bluesy to me. Welcome to 7th chord harmony.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:25 pm »
The "maj" in Fmaj7 goes with the 7, not the F. Fmaj7 is an F major chord with the major 7th assed. F7 is an F major chord with the flat 7 added. Just to make life interesting Fmin7 is F minor + flat 7, and FminMaj7 is F minor + major 7.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline acnari

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2015, 03:39:34 pm »
Thanks guys-this makes sense...sorta ;). I'm glad I bought the theory e-book, I want to learn how to play guitar-but I also really want to understand what I'm learning!
Such is the nature of men, that howsoever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent, or more learned; Yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves

-Thomas Hobbes-