Author Topic: TR-004 • The Importance Of Transcribing  (Read 36648 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
Re: TR-004 • The Importance Of Transcribing
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »
got more stuff planned, but still to busy - it is on the to-do list... :)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

guitar_albo

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 08:15:01 pm »
Hi Justin: Thanks again for this whole site. I'm following your advices and I'm trying to transcribe some songs (In fact it's fun, despite I was sure it was boring). Since I'm an beginner-intermediate player like to play fast solos, but they sound like crap so I take a "step back" to take "two steps forward" later. I started transcribing summer of 69' (Bryan Adams) chords and I got them pretty quickly, so I tried and move to something of Journey lead guitar. Amazingly (for me at least) I have an 80% of "When you love a woman" solo and fills, but because this song have a piano throughout, it's difficult to me get the chords down (irony get the solo but not the chords?). I've tried many combinations and I get nothing. So I would be really grateful if you (or anyone here) help me to figure out:

1.- Maybe I'm out of tune?? I'm using standard tuning (like Neal Schon does), but maybe just this song Neal Schon uses a different tuning.
2.- Maybe I suck in this and should give up guitar (hope not  :'( )??
3.- If question 1 is false... Should  I try to get the chords using a capo?? I don't have a capo, so I didn't tried this before.
4.- In general... how can you realize that there is a capo in a song?? If I understand well, a capo makes you sound 1 semitone higher for each fret you have behind it (hope it's clear)

I hope I didn't bother you

Regards from Chile (South America)

Laban

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 05:35:49 pm »
I've been playing guitar for around 2 months, and I want to start learning to transcribe. But I only have a old acostic nylon stringed guitar, and most of the songs I can think of use a steel stringed guitar, and that will make it a lot harder now wont it? Should I try to transcribe all the songs I know that use steel stringed guitar, or try to look up some songs played with nylon strings? Now I'm buying an electric guitar after christmas, I could just wait til' then to start transcribing.

desy2478

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 12:15:47 am »
Hi Laban

It may make it a little harder as nylon strings have a slightly different sound to them but......if you have it tuned correctly the notes will be just the same and there's no reason you can't go ahead and have a go at transcribing. I strongly recommend that you get some kind of device to help you get it in tune properly. I have an electronic tuning device just check it will work with your guitar. With practice you can do it by ear but there's no point learning on an out of tune guitar.

Good Luck!

desy2478

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 12:28:35 am »
Advice needed on where to play chords.

I'm transcribing the Stone Roses Song 'Ten Storey Love Song'. I figured out all the chords in their most common and easiest to play positions and now I'm working on the lead parts. I just completed the intro lead which is followed by the chord (and song key) of D major. The song chords appear throughout the song and are strummed occaisionally by Squire between twidly bits. Should I play these chords in their conventional positions or, using the caged system is it better to play them further up the neck near to where the next solo part is. I've noticed that many guitarists do this but don't know why.

Thanks

andrew29

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 02:18:24 am »
i am wondering if anyone has some some beginner solos to transcribe for beginners
thanks andrew

MBGoose

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »
You have inspired me to transcribe Justin!

chubacha7

I AM SO HAPPY!!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:12 pm »
you convinced me to start transcribing Justin  and that i thank you! .. 2 days transcribing and i am like a maniac ( in a good way ) :P cant stop transcribing. Its crazy how i'd check your site daily/weekly to see if you posted new songs or lessons. Now i can figure songs myself :) .. Picked up the ''Art'' quickly :)

Thank you ..

Offline Yogen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:39 am »
How fast or slow should I go? I got the 5 exercises on  TR-105 (the pentatonic) kind of fast (less than a week and justin said it could maybe take a couple of weeks),  I'm still waiting for the answer sheets though, but I'm 90% sure I'm correct. I will try to be 100% sure, don't worry.

I think I got the exercise a bit "easy" because I kind of relied on my memory (which notes are located on which frets) of the minor pentatonic.

Anyways, is it ok to go at this pace or should I "rest" a little while, or go through all of them again?

I'm asking because I don't want to have problems on the long-run, a bad ear or something.

Thanks

P.S I actually have a pretty hard time when trying to transcribe other songs, but maybe it's because is full of distorsion and too fast?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App