Author Topic: TR-004 • The Importance Of Transcribing  (Read 36654 times)

Nolita

Lesson YT 100 - Questions on Transcribing
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:54 pm »
Hey Trish;

Are you using some sort of software to slow the song down?  Take it down to about 75% speed(maybe slower, but since it's a ballad 75% should be plenty).  Then listen.  For the intricate little bits(I think they're arpeggiated, but not sure), fingerpicking.  Find the notes and when it's time to play, use your fingers(okay so really it's your choice but fingerpicking would keep it nice and soft - balladesque if you will).  

I know how it is I'm getting answers right in Functional Ear Trainer now(so it's just a matter of memorizing all the frets and shapes, and not just using numbers).  Will share.  Maybe it's different for different ears though?  Anyway, the program plays three chords.  Those three chords all have root notes in the game(buttons).(as you advance though, you can add more buttons, and customize and stuff).  So really, what's happening, and I only just realized it.  Is that the game plays the chords.  My ear hears them, but also picks out the root notes.  I hit the right root note's button and score in the game.  I don't know why I can just hear them(most of the time, tend to be somewhere in the 90%s, hope that's not worse than it sounds, I've no idea how to find out).  I just can.  But now I know exactly what I'm hearing and the way I'm hearing it.

So my hypothesis(and I've no answer as I'm not an expert), is that if you use an application to slow down "Honestly", and listen.  You'll know the chords from their root notes.  You'll just know them.  I'll give it a go if you like.  I was told that if I mic my amp, it's the best way to record my guitar on the computer(though I heard if I turn all the knobs down to 0 and slowly adjust them, keeping them very low, I can plug the amp into the computer).  I could just try for the first bit, up to and including the chorus(I get lost when we're talking barres I know what they look like on paper, but while listening I admit to getting a bit lost, that's why my little twinkle experiment was so sloppy).  Then upload it into my yahoo briefcase.  

If it sounds right to you, then yeah.  That's how you do it.  Just slow it down to about 75% maybe slower(depends on what you need), and listen to the chords.  Listen for them and you'll hear the root notes.

I just mean if you want it to sound more like on the album than a strum-along.  :)  Both are good, it's up to you really.

Trish

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 07:01:26 pm »
do you have links for that game and the software that slows things down?

Paul

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 08:24:42 pm »

Trish

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 09:29:52 pm »
i feel so guilty that i'm going to confess it.  i went to border's and bought a billy joel songbook.  i had a coupon...

don't hate me ya'll.....    :cry:

Nolita

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 04:57:17 pm »
Hehe, just keep buying songbooks, then wonder where the money for new guitars went.  Sorry couldn't resist.  But at least you know the music's good in the published book...

Here's the link for functional ear trainer http://www.miles.be/  When you get really advanced you can buy the fanciest version.  But the first two are totally free.  They really are like a little game though.

Oh and here's the slow-down/pitch change/vocals-removal app thingie http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/  Might as well see if you'll even be using such an app before buying one.

I have a freeware slowdown app, so haven't even tried the x-scribe app.  It might be even better for all I know, but space on my harddrive's limited.

Not sure if I explained how Functional Ear Trainer works.  Plays a series of chords.  Then it plays a root note from one of the chords.  You have to figure out which note it is just from the sound clues + available buttons.

steveyboyuk

another transcribing question
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 06:24:07 pm »
Hey Justin, i've appreciated your thoughts on the importance of transcribing and have been trying to tackle it. Working down your list of suggested songs.

I don't think i have a great ear for picking out notes- in fact i'm sure i don't. Still, since trying to transcribe a bit, in the last week or two, i find i can often get a good idea of what the basic chords are if i kinda hum the song in my head. like the song 'all the small things', i'd hummed it in my head and thought it was something like c,g f. And it was. Although, i did notice that when i tried to do the same with the intial part of REM's 'everybody hurts' the key was slightly different, though the relationship of the notes seemed the same. What i hadn't realised with the blink song was the need to use power chords until i read your help notes. I even had to then look up what power chords were! It's a good learning curve though.

Anyway, my bigger problem is that when i try to actually listen for the notes in the song i struggle sometimes filtering out the guitar part. Is this common? Should i be concentrating on the moment in getting the general gist of the song down, and then later refine it? Or should i be practising right now in listening to the song, and trying to distinguish the guitar chords? Or maybe it's a mixture of both.

Thanks for your help, you're a star.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 08:20:53 pm »
hearing the guitar just takes practice.

As you do it more you will start to block out the other instruments or vocals and focus on one thing.

It's cool cos it also means you can focus on other stuff like drums or percussion and get deeper into the music :)

I don't mind Trish buying songbooks but BILLY JOEL..... death penalty :)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Trish

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:22 pm »
Quote from: "justinguitar"

I don't mind Trish buying songbooks but BILLY JOEL..... death penalty :)

J

i was sad.  
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rgmJ1miBzek

steveyboyuk

More from me
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 10:15:49 pm »
Thanks Justin, i'll keep persevering. It's quite exciting the propect that i could actually begin to improve my playing! I've taken your advice and am trying to do a little each day. Strumming with a metronome and working through your lessons, and thinking about transcribing songs rather than just reading them out of a book (which is what i've always done). Ooooh, i also bought the capo your recommended and my guitar now boasts the presence of dr strings!

Thanks for you help anyway, you're a little star. You do seem a pretty cool guy, yep. And thanks too for sending me an email- that was kind of you. Have fun on the tour. I do like Katie Melua's music, and am really looking forward to your updates on what tour life is like.  :D

Erm, oh the billy joel thing. C'mon he's not so bad! I don't have any of his records and have not really listened to a great deal of his music, but he has done some nice stuff- you shouldn't feel embarrassed. A bit of trivia: i heard Pink saying she was a bit of a fan of billy joel, and i believe he sang 'always a woman' at her wedding.
As an aside, this guy on utube does some really nice covers, with a few of them being billy joel, search for fargenbastich. I like him anyway. I've just heard a great one from him of rocky mountain high by Denver. He's good.

ME

poely92

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:58:21 am »
I've transcribed my first song :) . I just have to know if I had it right. Because I was watching friends and than phoebe was playing smelly cat and I knew the chords from wild thing so plz tell me if Im right.      

E,E,A,A,D,A,E      thats what I thougt it was plz tell me if Im right or wrong

Nolita

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 01:56:56 pm »
A bit of formating help...

If you have a really long link, here's how you post it so it doesn't do that scrolling thing(which can throw folks off):

Code: [Select]
[url=yoururlhere.com]Name of what you're sharing[/url]

That way your post stays nice and tidy :).

Oh BTW, no offense; but I think you answered your own question.  You said yourself what he trasncribed is right for the original version.  So it stands to reason he transcribed it from the original version of the song.  Doubting we'll get an official verdict on the matter for awhile.  Call me crazy but I expect he's very busy with the tour and will be exhausted for a day or 4 when he gets home.  That's just how I figure it.  Then again maybe he runs to an internet cafe every chance he gets.  

Back to the Billy Joel controversy.  Here's a bit of a funny.  I just had a random memory, from one of those Behind The Music type shows.  The song Piano Man was apparently transcribed wrong.  So when Billy goes to a restaraunt or bar where there's a piano, the "piano man" plays the song as transcribed.  But one note's wrong.  It makes Billy cringe a bit every time  :lol:

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 01:13:34 pm »
I think the smelly cat chords are right :) lol

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Cozza

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 05:23:56 pm »
:lol: Got to love Phoebe's playing- she's as crap as me now that's saying something! :lol:

Peace!
Cara xx

Cliff

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for this lesson. This is a very helpful lesson that is helping me move out of a rut I've been having in my practices.

But...

A question that keeps on coming up when I try to plan my practice is how to go about deciding which songs should be BBQ songs for my repertoire and which I should try to transcribe. I can see that a song I transcribe fully would basically be incorporated into my repertoire but every BBQ song I can think of tends to seem better fitted for  transcription. How do I choose which songs to put into repertoire time and which to put into transcription time?

Cliff

unleash

Re: Lesson YT 100 - Questions on Transcribing
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 10:46:31 pm »
do you have any tips on transcribing solos?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App