Author Topic: Procrastination and/or lack of inspiration  (Read 7776 times)

Offline retrochoir

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Procrastination and/or lack of inspiration
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »
I was reading the thread for BC-124 last night (http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=16671.msg110863#msg110863)

Licksnsnicks starts off Saying:

Having big time trouble go from an A to a Dm.  I get the Dm part but when I go to put my fingers back in position to play the A they all pile up on one another. WTF.  I can't get them stretched enuff to go in the right position and they naturally heap on one another.  How do I get around this.  I can play a great A chord clearly but not when combined with the going back and forth between the Dm and A combo. I'm doing it slowly and concisely as possible but whatever I do it doesn't work.  What should I do?

A year later and He/She says:

OMG I can't believe I have come this far!  I just reread where I was about a year ago and I can play circles around what I used to be able to at this point.

See guys, patience, perserverance and practice truly pay off.

Don't know whether that helps but it definitely spurred me on to keep practising.

Cheers,

Jeff
Tanglewood Roadster TWR OE Acoustic Guitar

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 06:38:12 pm »

Oh god, please, not that.
I already get enough of that squealing xx--xx every year once skyradio goes into 'christmas song mode'...  :'(

Dan
Kevin Bloody Wilson has some good Christmas song that will cheer you up.  ;) I don't think they'll cheer
Chantal up though. But you never know. Stranger thing have happened.

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:07 pm »
Yeah, that cheered me up to no end! Bloody awesome! I mean it, it's xx--xx brilliant!
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
Glad I could help cheered you up. Did you listen to all of his Christmas songs?

I noticed you posted that you're playing your guitar today  :)

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »
I've checked out Hey Santa and another one, not sure how many there are.

Yeah, I've taken some of the advice I got and decided to just work on some songs I like. So I've played yesterday and today. Just two short sessions, but long enough to get House of the Rising Sun down pretty well. I love that kind of music, so I enjoyed practising it a lot. I'll just forget about official practice schedules and doodle a bit whenever I feel like it. At least I'm playing something, which is better than nothing at all :-) And I'm doing the Animals version (as well as doing the bass-3-2-1-2-3 fingerstyle pattern) so I'm learning new strumming techniques in the process, which is a bonus too.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline artonsafari

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:31 pm »
Good on you! Sounds like you're coming out of your funk. I was in a foul mood just before lunch/practice so I worked on mechanical stuff. The Spider, Finger-gym, Major scale picking. I find it relaxing and therapeutic.

So were you playing the SG or the Seagull? 

HA! Just realized that you have 2 SGs if you shorten Seagull.  ;D
The correct amount of guitars is one more than you currently own

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »
The SG, for 2 reasons. The first being that I still struggle with F on the acoustic (it really needs a setup), but I can play it perfectly on the Gibson. The second reason is that the SG sounds so damn good amplified! Even when I make a mess of the tune, it'll still sound decent, so that makes it a lot of fun.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »
Chantal-

If you liked Kevin Bloody Wilson, check out his tune : "The Kid (He Swears A Little Bit)"

...... Has me in stitches every time I listen to it  ;D

strikealight

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2012, 02:19:06 am »
Whilst I haven't reached a stage where I have thought about quitting or even giving the guitar a rest (yet!), I did reach a stage where I was finding things a bit of a chore.  For me, I think the problem was basically that when I started, I looked at Justin's intermediate course and I thought "wow- when I get through that stage I'll really rock!".  So I stuck rigidly to my practice routine to get to that stage as soon as I could.  But like so many others, I found that whilst I was making quick progress through the course, I wasn't really mastering the stuff that I had covered to any real extent which made my playing significantly less fulfilling - less fun. 

My turning point was reading a Guitar World interview dated 25 January 2012 with Gabriella Quintero (one half of the ridiculously talented acoustic guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriella).  I was expecting her to bang on about how you have to practice, practice, practice stuff you can't yet do to progress, which let's face it she must have to do to achieve the mind-blowing stuff she does.  However, to my surprise what I read was this:

"Play and just practice and be inspired more than being disciplined, because discipline is ******* boring and instead, if you get inspired, you want to play all day long. And if you keep disciplining ****, you don’t want to play. So if you keep yourself inspired…you can listen to a lot of music, or you can read incredible books or whatever. To me, in my case I love arts and I love nature. That really keeps me inspired, so that I really crave to play guitar, or I really crave to do creative things. Whereas before when I was young, I was very disciplined, just very straight, you know? I wanted to do two hours a day in the morning, three hours a day in the evening, very like military, you know? But I think that’s not so much fun!"

After reading this, I reminded myself why I started playing guitar and why I used to enjoy it so much more.  This will be a different blend of things for different people, but for me it was to lose myself in a process of producing what I call "tingle moments" - such as when a chord change just sounds so cool against the last one or against a simple vocal.  I'm talking about very simple open chord playing here.  I also wanted to get to a stage where I could play stuff without thinking about it, and to give my own slant and expression to simple songs.  I realised that I had lost sight of this a bit in my haste to "progress".  Why was I in such a hurry, I asked myself?  It wasn't like I wanted to start gigging by the end of the year or anything like that - I just wanted to play for my own pleasure.  So I slowed down and instead put more emphasis on identifying and transcribing new songs that were within my capabilities which produced new, fresh "tingles".  And yes sometimes I cheated by looking up the tab on the internet!  I practiced the more basic stuff that I had already covered in order to get it to a higher standard so I could really get some expression into the simple tunes I was capable of playing, rather than constantly pausing to break new ground on the training course all of the time.   

The result for me was that I started to really enjoy playing again, which in turn left me fresh and eager to occasionally try something new and tricky from the lesson schedule.  Now and again I get stuck into progressing through Justin's course for a spell for as long as I am still enjoying it - which for me is the whole point. 

Some people of course play for different reasons.  A good friend of mine has just started to learn piano, and he openly admits he wants to do this so he can impress people.  Each to his own, though I wonder how sustaining his attitude will ultimately prove to be.  Personally, I just play "for me" and for fun.  I find that the guitar helps to give my brain a rest from worrying and brooding over stuff , which it has an annoying tendency to do quite a lot left to its own devices.  But my guitar playing only has this therapeutic effect when I am really enjoying it - when I am playing for the sheer joy of it.  Otherwise, it basically becomes yet another chore amongst many others in my life. 

I browse YouTube for the "inspiration" that Gabriella talked about in her interview, and I usually find it a-plenty whether it is from some fantastic simple acoustic re-working of a pop song (such as Jayme Dee's version of Britney Spears' Toxic or Maroon 5's Sunday Morning for example) or even some laughably poor effort which even I could top!  By definition, only one person in the world has no-one who is a better guitar player than him / her, and only one person has no-one who is worse than him / her.  The rest of us all fall in between these two people.  People's motives for playing and their expectations will vary hugely, and personally I sometimes lose sight of mine.  Having said that, as I get older I personally find it harder to draw up a list of simple things that I really like, as opposed to what I am supposed or expected to like.  You know, the sort of easily attainable "brown paper packages tied up with string - these are a few of my favourite things" things as opposed to say licking jam off of Keira Knightly's neck (to take a totally random example!!).  Judging from some conversations I have had, I suspect that I am not alone on this (the "listing things you like" bit, not necessarily the Keira Knightly thing....!).

Chantal, you seem to be in a bit of a vicious cycle / chicken-and-egg situation which I have found myself in all too often.  You are having a bad time generally and I'm assuming that you want to be able to immerse yourself in enjoyable guitar playing to escape this on occasion, but you can't because the bad time that you are having generally prevents you from doing this.  I only hope that if you shift the emphasis on the fun bits of guitar playing and away from regimented learning and "progression" - as you seem from your most recent posts to have now done - then you can break any such deadlock.  I hope you can gain "inspiration" from whatever source suits you to inject the fun and joy back into your guitar playing and that this in turn will dilute the crappy time that you seem to be going through.  I have enjoyed your posts in the past and you are clearly a nice, kind person who deserves better and I hope things turn around soon.  I hope you take some comfort from the posts you have received from so many people on this thread - they are testament to the fact that they think well of you too.   Keep playing and keep posting - you would be missed!  I wish you all of the very best both in respect of your guitar playing and in life generally. 

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:07 am »
I think that learning this thing is a constant juggle between sticking with the program and just enjoying it. The better you get, the more you feel a need to progress, when this happens you can stop having fun and try to faster track the program to achieve some specific thing(s).

We all need to step back at some point and know what balance is right for each of us. I hate cliches, but in this situation it seems apt; enjoying the journey is more important than the destination.

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:49 am »
@strikealight - Wow, thank you so much for that! The things you wrote make perfect sense. I can't put into words how much it means to see posts like yours. Thanks so much, and for the compliments too.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01:56 pm »

+1 @strikealight.   You struck a light in me!   :)
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 04:38:25 pm »
@ Dan

Didn't James Dean Bradfield play Last Christmas?

@ strikealight

good post

note of caution ... Gabriella may urge people to have fun and break away from disciplined learning ... but I bet she only got to be so good after hours and hours and hours of disciplines learning ... now she can afford to be creative in her learning approach .... in other words .... its easy for her to say ... I don't think a new guitarist will get far adopting that approach

strikealight

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »
Couldn't agree more - I was just interested to see someone of that calibre emphasise the importance of "fun".  If she can find the time to get inspiration and still acknowledge the need to enjoy playing despite what must be a truly gruelling training schedule, there must be hope for all of us!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »
Good post strikealight very inspirational, but for all you new players, Gabriella said in the interview

Whereas before when I was young, I was very disciplined, just very straight, you know? I wanted to do two hours a day in the morning, three hours a day in the evening, very like military, you know?

It's easy to be creative after years of Military type Practicing. So don't think you can play around on
a guitar a few minute a day and become one of the best. Everybody even Gabriella put in their time
with the boring part of playing. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App