Author Topic: SB-113 • Blackbird - The Beatles  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
SB-113 • Blackbird - The Beatles
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:38:15 pm by close2u »

Offline Ricardomacrow

• Good Vibes 1
Re: SB-113 • Blackbird - The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Hi can somebody tell me if I'm understanding the play through from the tab order correctly as I'm new to the musical terms coda and segno.

I think you should play up to the end of the interlude on page 149 then repeat from the verse on 148 (because of the double dots) but playing the bar with 2 over it instead of 1 this time, then play all of page 150 and when it says D.S al Coda go back to the bridge on page 149 with the segno sign above it until the end of second bar on page 150 which says to coda where you jump to the start of page 151.

Does that make sense/seem right?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 136
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:38 am »
You got it :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ZeroSummer

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:18:23 pm »
. . . then play all of page 150 . . .

Before you play all of page 150, do you need to play the 4 bars at the end of page 149 (marked Bridge)?

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:34:26 am »
what is the tempo of the song? My guitar teacher wants me to start practicing it with a metronome.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »
This sheet music says 96 bpm, but best get one of those metronomes that lets you measure it yourself.

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0053255&mnuid%3DCZDHLTJHV18HNX66QD7V694BR0HQ6Z8810ZF7Z88
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
...and in any case, start off slow enough that you can play without mistakes, then gradually speed up with practice.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:36 am »
I too met Paul MaCartney and asked him how to play this song, but all I got was "Get off my property you crazy bastard".

Seriously though, I think we all want to play songs as they were played by the original artist, and here I think that there's been a mistake made. I downloaded the live video of Sir Paul playing this song - helpfully included below the lesson video - and opened it in Transcribe at 50%.

OK, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be but it looks pretty certain that Macca is using the technique he described to Justin. There was no misunderstanding. His thumb alternates between the root note and the open G string.

Please could you guys watch the vid and confirm this.

Offline badhabit

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »
I agree with routerbouters post. Sir Paul is using his thumb to alternate the bass notes. After spending the past three weeks getting the index finger method down, I watched the video at the bottom of the page(of Sir Paul) and tried it that way. MUCH easier with the alternating thumb bass for me. Also, after the initial slide up the neck, I believe he is sliding each time from the 11TH to the 12TH fret on the B string with his pinky. Just before the turnaround he slides from the 13th to the 12th. Justin may have covered this in the songbook, I don't know, I don't have it. After limiting myself for years learning from tab, I have to agree with Justin that the proper way to learn is to listen, and watch if you have the chance.

Offline mediaglyphic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »
Hi,
in the second riff, when the left hand is pressing on A7 (b and d string of second fret) it seems the right hand is not playing the d string at all, but rather playing the a string.  what am i missing?

Offline maelaevi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 07:31:03 pm »
I'm guessing this it the right thread to write this on.

In the video (I don't unfortunately own the songbook) Justin calls the the third chord you play in the intro a G/B but later in riff number 2 he plays the same chord again (with different fingers) but calls it a Bm.

Is Bm = G/B? I don't undertand this at all.

Does he call it a Bm because the notes in G/B are the same notes you would hear in a Bm chord? And it just happens that we're playing only a part of the Bm chord? AND those notes are the same notes you would hear in a G/B chord!? I would call it a G/B but that is just because it looks like a G/B chord.

I think need to read that music theory book since this is puzzling me.

Hi,
in the second riff, when the left hand is pressing on A7 (b and d string of second fret) it seems the right hand is not playing the d string at all, but rather playing the a string.  what am i missing?

I think you can just play the A7 with one finger. I guess it is just easier to remember what to play. You can just think about A7 and play it and not think about what string to put your finger. Also it probably doesnt sound terrible if you accidentally hit the d string. It might even sound cool.

PS. I'm just barely out of the beginner course so I don't have much authority to tell you this. Just my opinion.

Offline Dayo007

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:58 pm »
Newbie here with my first post, I think!

Can someone help me with the picking pattern please? The extended one, I mean...

The way I understand it, the pattern goes: pinch, down-up, root, up-down.  Correct?

So the question is about the down-ups: am I aiming for the G string only? I seem to hit the B string too more often than not. Same question for the up-downs: G string only or a bit of both?

Many thanks.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App