Author Topic: Where to Strum/Pick...in the Middle of the Pickups?  (Read 2150 times)

StreetSurvivor

Where to Strum/Pick...in the Middle of the Pickups?
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »
I have a Gibson Les Paul with 2 pickups.  When I sit with correct posture and comfortably, my pick is naturally much closer to the rear pickup than the front pickup.  But it's not directly over the rear pickup.  Just close.  Like in the diagram below:

V
Pup------------Pup

Is this OK, or should I try to strum/pick in the middle of the 2 pickups?

Thanks.

kentl

Re: Where to Strum/Pick...in the Middle of the Pickups?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:37 pm »
it depends where your swtich is, you should have one next to the nobs, you turn it to the top to have the first one "on" and in the middle for both and the bottem for last, each has  a diffreint sound where you pick form.

StreetSurvivor

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »
So is there a "standard" pick location for each of the 3 pickup switch settings?  Or does everybody kind of form their own patterns based upon their sound preferences?  Or do most people just pick "somewhere in the middle" and not worry about it?

What would you recommend for a new player like me?

Thanks.

kentl

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:32:42 pm »
Generically, for the "common sound" you pick near the one that is on, so if its in the middle you pick in the middle etc. How ever, you can find some good sounds by picking away form those areas.

Just stick with the basic, if the front pick up is on pick near there, if the back is on pick near there.

it dont have to be exact but moving it around will change tone.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:22 am »
I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Middle-ish is good.  It's more about the distance you are picking from the bridge than where you are in relation to which pickup are using you use.

Close to the bridge is going to sound tight, bright and trebly closer to the neck is going to sound loose, warmer, and rounder with either pick up.

So if you are playing the bridge pick up which is the tight bright sound - closer to the bridge will make it sound tighter and brighter and towards the neck will mellow it out some and make it warmer and rounder.

Likewise, if you are using the neck pick up the warm round sound picking close to the bridge will tighten and brighten the sound and picking near the neck will make it sound even warmer and rounder.

So about in the middle like you are is probably typical and as a beginner I wouldn't worry about it too much.  As a beginner pick where it is comfortable for you.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:18:20 am »
I agree with Shadow,

and would also suggest that you remember what you learnt, what you noticed about the different sounds, and where to find them. I strum in the bit where it sounds the way I want it to, unless I am distracted or bored or singing or something, when I strum somewhere in the middle.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:42:28 am »
your ear is your guide
strum near the bridge for a bright, twangy, trebly sound
away from it for a warmer, rounder sound
and you don't need to strum near the pickup that is being used

kentl

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:31:52 pm »

and you don't need to strum near the pickup that is being used
Why not?

I mean sure its not THAT big of a diffidence, but I've always been told to.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:16:52 am »
Strum wherever you want. It is the string vibrating that is creating the signal. The pick up picks that up,not like a microphone. Blackie from the Hard Ons used to strum on the neck, as do I if that is what I want. Theres no rules man. This isnt haiku. It is rock and roll. I will strum with a thumb sometimes. I dont care what I do.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Get The Forum As A Mobile App