Author Topic: PC-108 • Use Visualisation  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
PC-108 • Use Visualisation
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:14:10 pm »
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:00:09 pm by Indigo »

Offline monte258

• Good Vibes 0
Re: PC-108 • Use Visualisation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:54 pm »
I see there's nothing posted under this topic. What does use visualization mean? Does it have anything to do with visualizing the chord before fingering it? I'm looking for a topic that has suggestions on fingering a chord without looking. When I watch accomplished folks play, the thing that impresses me so much is that they'll grab the guitar neck and without looking have their fingers on the right strings and frets. And then, of course, while playing they change between chords without looking. I know this is a must-have requirement to play the guitar correctly. And I know that the simple answer is to just keep practicing - grab the neck, visualize the chord shape, finger the chord, strum the chord to check if you got it. Nine times out of ten I'm off. If I have the shape right, I'm one fret off up or down. The closest I typically come (on the 9 times that I miss) is to have the general shape correct and be on the correct frets but be off on one or two strings. All guitar players can do this. How do they get from having to look to never needing to look? Again, I know the basic answer is to practice, but I've been doing this for months and it just doesn't seem to click. And don't get me started on trying the same chord but using the capo. Same chord shape but now your hand has to be in a different position/location. If I'm going to get beyond Stage 2 after nearly a year of doing this I really need help with this. Or maybe someone will have to tell me, "sorry buddy, but if you can't figure this out by now, you just ain't got it. Not everybody was cut out to play the guitar. Do yourself a favor and take up something else – something that doesn't require talent."

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
Watch the video linked in Indigo's post. This is a link to lesson PC-108 Using Visualization.

Offline Etnacila

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 07:37:18 pm »
Hello Monte....
I am also a beginer and I was concerned to about playing without looking to the fretboard.
Now from my experience, the best advice I can give is to follow the lessons of the BC, try to learn songs and that will come with time.
Now I am at stage 3 and still look from time to time, but no so much I did at the begining.
I have found very usefull to stick to the path of the lessons, review the videos again, follow Justin's indications and don't worry too much about looking.
Best regards, Joséj

Enviado desde mi LG-E430 mediante Tapatalk

Washburn WD-130 SE LTD 130 aniversary.
BC level 1.

Offline monte258

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:09:56 am »
Thanks Jose. I appreciate the encouragement. I was watching Eric Clapton earlier and even he sneaks a peak from time to time.

Offline aiki667

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:42:09 pm »
Especially practise a lot on 1 minute changes, that really builds up muscle memory!!!

i am also a beginner, just starting stage 3 when i had to stop for several months. just this week i picked up the guitar after 4 months, and my fingers still automatically placed themselves correctly on the fretboard !

Get The Forum As A Mobile App