Author Topic: PC-103 • Keep A Practice Shedule  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
PC-103 • Keep A Practice Shedule
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:47 pm »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:34:33 pm by Indigo »

ggerland

Re: PC-103 • Keep A Practice Shedule
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »
Hi Justin,

I am a little bit confused regarding your practice template.

What's the date column for? There's already a checklist for each day the week, so what do I use the date column for?
The answer will not change my practice-routine - but still curious about your intentions.

KR and keep up the good work - very appreciated!
Gido

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:17 pm »
I write the date I began to work on this stuff in the date column, and then mark off the days, starting with that date.

When I change something in the practice schedule, for example begin a new stage or whatever, I note the new date.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

marxxx3

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:52:37 am »
hi justin, i was wondering maybe u could put up some of your practice schedules ? maybe even the ones you were doing when you were doing 10hour workout

Danne_p93

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:53:09 am »
Hey. Just wondering about a few things.

im 20 years old and have played for almost 5 year.
The only problem is that I never have practice seriusley, only learned a few scales and some songs.
The rest was just jamming.

Is it possible to get to "advanced" level with real practice like 3 to 5 hours like 6 days a week or is it too late? How long will it take me to get too player level (approximately)? I know is diffrent for diffrent people but like 2, 5 or 10 years?

I study to be a truck driver from 7 am to 4 pm monday to friday so I don't have all time in the world to practice. How do you guys do to get practice time when you working/studing and have a little bit of social life?

Thanks/
Daniel   :)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:20:39 am »
Follow the advice in this practice course, and if you can practice for one hour a day, good practice, you will notice improvement. Man, I wish I had started practicing at 20.

I dont know how good you want to get, but to get better, structured practicing like that advocated here i the best way.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 06:15:00 am »
Will you ever be a master? I don't know. Is ten years enough time to do it? I don't know that either. If you don't, it won't be because of your age.

It's natural to feel like you are starting late. You're probably thinking "Man I wish I had stuck with it when I was 15". In another five years you'll be thinking about how you wish you had started taking it seriously when you were twenty. Five years from that point you'll be doing it all again. A lot of us here have started much later than you, and would be over the moon if we could turn back the clock and convince our younger selves to start where you are.

Look at it this way. 10 years now you will be 10 years older anyway. It's up to you whether or not you will be 10 years better at guitar.

As far as practice time goes, just keep the guitar out and accessible. Don't tuck it away in a closet or in a case. Put it right out there in plan view where you can just grab it and mess around. You're much more likely to play that way; even if it's just for five or ten minutes at a time.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 07:09:33 am »
What is "advanced"? Being able to play like John Williams, Steve Vai or that 10 year old kid from Singapore on yootoob, or being able to play a whole host of songs you like, and rock out too?

Who knows how good you'll be in 10 years. But one things for sure, with organised practice you'll be a better player than if you don't bother. Guitar is a lot about getting there, not arriving. If you want to get "somewhere", structured practice is the best way to do it. I only see myself making progress when I organise myself a little, and put in the practice time.

Pretty hard with 3 young kids, but it's an hour or so I'd otherwise spend sat watching crap on the TV at night anyhow.

Offline zoglug

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 11:35:41 am »
Hey everyone,

After 6 months of following Justin's Beginner course in parts, and using youtube to find songs i like, i decided to structure my practice a little better in order to improve my playing. Im currently working on putting together a practice schedule, but wondered what way people prefer to keep it? Electronically, or the good old fashioned pen and paper way?

Cheers

Zog
Gear:-

Shine SIL-510
Crafter GAE15
Fender Mustand I

Offline 7255carl

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »
Hey everyone,

After 6 months of following Justin's Beginner course in parts, and using youtube to find songs i like, i decided to structure my practice a little better in order to improve my playing. Im currently working on putting together a practice schedule, but wondered what way people prefer to keep it? Electronically, or the good old fashioned pen and paper way?

Cheers

Zog

Hi Guys

i am loving the structured practice approach and seeing results in just 2 weeks, i like the good old fashioned paper and pen approach using the blank practice schedules supplied on this site, i also keep a track of my one minute changes in the same way, it is so motivating to see where you were a month ago and where you are now, I have never felt better about my practice

Carl

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
Paper or e records; either way bot are a pain. You either have to keep your e stuff up to date, or I make a mess trying to do the same on paper.

About the best thing going was the 1 minute changes app, which kept records and instantly updated after the timer goes off. But I don't have an android phone anymore, so have to go back to paper for that too.

If anyone has any good (simple) templates to work off to keep things straight, that would be great. I don't find justin's very helpful, as I can never seem to keep the info tidy, there never seems enough room.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »
I have a spiral notebook that I use to keep notes on my practice. I've sort of developed my own routine, and I just write the things down as I do them. Every so often I'll tear the pages out and clip them into a three ring binder that I have.

That way I can easily keep a section for song songs in the binder, one for ear training charts on graph paper, and the main part for my practice log. Plus it allows me to keep my practice kind of flexible and easily note how long I work on each thing.

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's actually pretty easy. I like to use paper because I write the things down as I do them. it's just easier to jot things down as I do them than to have to always be near the computer so I can stop and type.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:54 pm »
I don't know if it helps, but I printed a sheet in the following format when I was working through the IM course:

The practice items are on the left (from Justin's summary at the end of each module), the time to spend, and any targets. The rest of the sheet is a month's worth of days.

When I did a bit of practice, I would shade in the relavant square (or write the number of changes, etc. in it if it was relevant). This was handy to make sure I covered all the items, even if I didn't do the whole lot every day. Also, by filling in the dates in advance, it becomes really obvious if you start missing days.

This is easy to set up in Word or Excel, etc.

I need to get back into the discipline of regular practice (as opposed to noodling around)  though  :-[

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 02:47:15 pm »
THanks for that misterg. I always have trouble finding a way ot organise stuff on paper that works simply. I'll try that.

watasch

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:38 pm »
I don't know if it helps, but I printed a sheet in the following format when I was working through the IM course:

The practice items are on the left (from Justin's summary at the end of each module), the time to spend, and any targets. The rest of the sheet is a month's worth of days.

When I did a bit of practice, I would shade in the relavant square (or write the number of changes, etc. in it if it was relevant). This was handy to make sure I covered all the items, even if I didn't do the whole lot every day. Also, by filling in the dates in advance, it becomes really obvious if you start missing days.

This is easy to set up in Word or Excel, etc.

Thank you for the model you set up.  I can see already how I can modify it to meet my needs.  Always nice to have a forum where one can see different ideas that help with the process.
Watasch

Get The Forum As A Mobile App