Author Topic: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice  (Read 24924 times)

Offline goflvhxj963

• Good Vibes 0
Re: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2014, 02:30:41 am »
Yeah but what I want to know is the detail. Like I heard that when you play/compose song, you need to find out what key the song is going to be in.

1. How do we find out what key the song is in?
2. How do we know which notes/chords we can use so that it won't sound wrong if I use the wrong ones?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:09 am »
If you don't know the answers to that question, you're not ready to write songs and play other instruments to them.

Keys chosen often depend on the vocals. Some people change the key of a given song they're learning to suit their ability to sing it.

Chord progressions are groups of chords that work well together. You need to know how and why, as that's part of what makes music work.

This is why you need to understand theory. Buy Justin's Practical theory book and work from there.

Offline goflvhxj963

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2014, 02:51:59 am »
I'll definitely check out Justin's theory book. I would like to ask one last question.

If the song is in the key of A major and I decided to use the pentatonic scale, I need to use the A major pentatonic scale for the lead part right? My question is

1. Do we have to start from the root A or can we just start somewhere else?
2. Do we have to come back to the root of A at some point while playing or right at the end?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
Yeah but what I want to know is the detail. Like I heard that when you play/compose song, you need to find out what key the song is going to be in.

1. How do we find out what key the song is in?
2. How do we know which notes/chords we can use so that it won't sound wrong if I use the wrong ones?

That stuff is too involved to go into in a forum post.

What you're asking about is a different skill set than playing the guitar. Someone could be a great guitar player and not know the first thing about composing, while someone else is a great composer and not be able to play any instrument with any proficiency.

You need to get a good book (or two) on music theory (Justin's may or may not be 'deep' enough for what you want, I haven't seen it - but being as the title is 'Practical' music theory, I suspect not). Then get some books and watch/read lessons on songwriting. Once you've done that, you practice like anything else - in this case you practice writing songs. Your first ones will probably be terrible, but keep at it and they'll get better.

Oh, and you also have to know enough about bass and drums to put them into your pieces effectively as well. Doesn't mean you have to be able to physically play them, but you do need to know how they are played. If you're doing all the recording or composing via computer yourself, you need to know how to record and work with the audio software, too.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline goflvhxj963

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2014, 07:02:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply. But what's with those people who say they don't really know any music theory yet they can play in the band with others? Are they just playing by ear and try out different chords which might sound somewhat good to make a harmony?

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:05 am »
Thanks for the reply. But what's with those people who say they don't really know any music theory yet they can play in the band with others? Are they just playing by ear and try out different chords which might sound somewhat good to make a harmony?

You've asked two different questions:

PLAYING doesn't require music theory, though knowing it helps.

COMPOSING or arranging requires a pretty deep knowledge of music theory (yes, I know there are composers who aren't theory savvy, but they're the minority).

What you need to do is sit down, take a deep breath, and start at the beginning. If you want to play guitar, start with the beginners course and go through each lesson - some may be review and you'll breeze through, but I've found very useful tidbits tucked away in a lot of his lessons that true beginners probably miss if they never watch them again.

One of the Very Cool(tm) things that Justin's course does is provide actual metrics for you to see when it's time to move on to the next stage. When you can do so many chord changes a minute, and know this or that strumming pattern, or whatever else is in that stage: don't forget the ear training exercises, it's time to move on.

If you can do most of it but are stuck on one or two things, then practice those things like mad until you can do them, then move on.

If you're serious about learning to compose music, you've got to study music theory. You can do this concurrently with your playing, because honestly the two don't have a whole lot to do with each other at the beginning playing level, especially with guitar. Piano/keyboard is less forgiving in this regard.

Get a good, solid book. You can buy the old (2003) edition of Tonal Harmony on Amazon for under twenty bucks used, $45 new (the workbook is more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than the latest edition). That's a steal - the latest edition is over $150 new for just the text, though you can buy it packaged with the workbook at some reasonable prices through 3rd party sellers. In any case I can guarantee music theory hasn't changed that much over the past ten years.

How much of it you use will be up to you and how you choose to compose and arrange your music. There are metal bands that throw long 'suspension' chains in their music like something out of Bach or Hayden. Others just get by with knowing a few chord progressions and scales.

Oh, and learning theory is hard work. There's a LOT more to it than learning chord progressions and scale degrees. Only you can decide if you want to go down this route.

My suggestion is to focus on your playing for now - work especially on your TIMING. Do everything to a metronome, this way when you get the opportunity to play with other people, you'll be able to play IN TIME. Without that, jam sessions quickly become train wrecks.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 01:56:35 am »

They know theory. They just learnt its practical applications through playing, not studying. BB King is said never to have studied any theory in his life. He knows blue and jazz back to front and inside out.

Offline rajvignesh95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »
Hey everybody. Im new to playing the guitar.I'm practicing the d major chord and however hard I try it doesn't sound perfect but it sounds okay-ish. Is it okay if I learn another chord without being perfect in this?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »
When you first start very little is going to sound perfect. Also when playing one chord over and over the
groove in your fingers become pretty deep and can mute the strings instead of letting them ring out.
So learning one or two new chord will actually help with the first chord. You can alternate between them
giving the grooves in you fingers time to puff back up and it make practicing more enjoyable.

Offline rajvignesh95

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »
Thanks for the help stitch..:-)

Offline Devan99

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »
Hi Justin! what do you recommend learning first, arpeggios or triads?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2015, 04:58:53 pm »
Devan

Guess it depend what level you're at or at what point you are on Justin's learning path. Triads appear towards the end of the Intermediate foundation course but Arpeggios have their own sub set of lessons.

Checkout the lessons index  8)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline JCridford

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 11:59:25 pm »
Hi everyone,

My name's J - I'm new to the forum and have a question about practicing and what to practice. I've been making progress Justin's timer method, for an hour a day, practicing each thing for 10 minutes e.g. scales/arpeggios/techniques etc. But my question is this: With each segment, how many exercises should I be doing? A couple for a minute or two each? More than that, or just one? If so, should I stick with those 1/2/3 exercises every time I focus on that area until I get them up to speed?

Thanks,

J

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:19 am »
J,

I guess it depends where you want to go. The techniques lessons are not ends in themselves. They are means to a musical end. When doing the original Blues Lead course, I added an extra five minutes for each of the rolling technique, bending technique and vibrato lessons. I picked up rolling pretty quickly, so it only lasted a week or so, but the others, especially bending, needed longer. I did those techniques so I could do the Blues licks. And I learnt the Blues licks so I could rip solos during jams with my mates.

Don't learn a technique so you can do the technique. Practice what you need to get you to be the musician you want to be, and to play the music you want to perform. At times, that will be spending months with the metronome, honing your scales. But know why - so I learn my way around the neck, or so I can really cut sick, speed wise, during that solo in that song, or because I need to increase my left/right coordination so that I can...

I would say, focusing more directly on your question,, as I understand it, that 5 minute slots for the techniques you need to be doing to play the music you want to be able to play is about right. Don't learn scales so that you can play scales fast. That is not music. Learn scales fast so you can nail that solo. And balance it out. If you are doing scales, arpeggios, and 'techniques', don't forget that you should devote equal time to, say 16th note Strumming or fingerstyle, and to theory, and to aural training, and to songs. Always songs.

Learn the techniques that you need to play your repertoire, and that will help make you the musician you want to be.

Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline doggedwon

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 12:52:32 am »
Practice what you need to get you to be the musician you want to be, and to play the music you want to perform.
Learn the techniques that you need to play your repertoire, and that will help make you the musician you want to be.

I don't think we hear that enough.  It should be repeated often.

Thank you!
Beginner's Course from April, 2016 to Present
Guild GAD50ATB
https://soundcloud.com/doggedwon

Get The Forum As A Mobile App