Author Topic: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice  (Read 25629 times)

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »
As a beginner for 5 years!!
I think the biggest problem is exactly what is being discussed here.
I have just watched the 1st two videos of the "what to practice" series and it is great if you are an intermediate or above guitarist, and actually know what you need to learn to progress and achieve your goals.
As a beginner, you DON'T know these things. That is why I just bought the beginner pack.
I have tried to learn by myself and struggled, I got a teacher who was a great guitarist but would ask "what do you want to learn today?" at the start of the lesson. If I knew what I should learn, I wouldn't have paid him, and learnt from the internet for free.
I had one great teacher who had a structured lesson plan for his students. I progressed more in 3 months than the previous 3 years. Unfortunately I changed jobs an work evenings now and he can only teach in the evenings so I had to stop.

Basically I think that a beginner/early intermediate guitarist needs to be asked what his/her goals are and TOLD what to do to achieve them.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »
Basically I think that a beginner/early intermediate guitarist needs to be asked what his/her goals are and TOLD what to do to achieve them.

Assuming that the overall goal is to learn to play the guitar, that's all you need to worry about to start with. IMHO detailed goals don't matter too much for the Beginner & Intermediate Foundation module - Pretty much everyone will have to go through these courses and the practice routines are set at every stage - just need to work through the courses and follow the recipe.

To my mind, anyway, detailed goal setting only becomes relevant at/after this stage where the range of possibilities is huge. If there are Intermediate Style modules relevant to those goals (Folk Fingerstyle / Blues / etc.) then again, the practice routines are laid out.

Just my 0.02p

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:40 pm »
A lot of guitarists don't seem to appreciate rhythm guitar playing. Music consists of Melody, Harmony and Rhythm. What is most usually referred to as rhythm is in fact two thirds of that equation because the chords that make up most rhythm guitar parts are also the harmonic content. Rhythm guitar can (in the form of arpeggios) also involve melody.

Van Halen and Hendrix are/were excellent rhythm players and have/had a wide ranging knowledge of chords that enabled them to shape songs.

Don't underestimate the value of knowing chords and the different ways to play them.

My own practice regime is split into Rhythm/Repertoire/Theory/Harmony/Melody. The future repertoire tends to dictate what aspect of the others will be worked on.

Offline Simpinator

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »
My goal i to become a instrumental Rock guitarist like Steve Vai/Joe Satriani. But with My own unic voice.

So im not sure really what to practice ?

My practice shedule looks like this:

Teknik : scale up and down, sweeping shape, sequnce picking, and a new sweeping shape.( 5min per exercice)

Learn new: guitar homework (10 min), ensemble in My school (10 min) ( total 20 min )

Transcribe: 20 min ex Steve Vai Songs or training My ears with intervall and rythmic imitations

Repouta: Learning songs, ensemble in school or Steve Vai songs ( 20 min )

Jamming: ( 20 min backingtracks, own musik or GarageBand and play rythm patterns )

Teknik: finger gym 4 min, chord changes 4 min, duraion work out ( rythm exercice )

So what do you guys/girls thinks is it something that miss ? Give me alot off feedback and tips if i should practice something Else or remove something from My practice routine. By the way i have problem with My rythm so maybe i should fokus more on that ?

Please give alot of advice and feedback :) !

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 06:27:01 pm »
Without knowing how long you've been playing and what level your at it hard to help you with your
practice routine.

By the way i have problem with My rythm so maybe i should fokus more on that ?

Without being a solid rhythm player you'll never be a great lead player. Have you ever jammed with one
of those annoying people who think they are great lead players but can't carry a tune in a bucket?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 01:10:41 am »
Learn songs. And rhythm. Lead is just the filler in between what people actually want to hear. Lead is all about what the player wants to hear. As much as Vai tries, they are not songs. I think the only people that go to Vai gigs are other players...

Offline Simpinator

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 05:43:50 pm »
Ok thanks for your answers !    ;)

But if i having trouble with My rythm what kind of exercices should i do to improve my rythm then ? And how should i divide my practice shedule ?

I mean i have a litle rythm for kind of easy and medium class.

I have been playing for 3 years and i can play solo pretty good but as you mentioned you need to have a good rythm also.

Im in school so i don't have all the time to practice either so i don't really know how i should divide it ?  :-\

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 06:15:20 pm »
Sound like your already pasted the Beginner Course. Try the Intermediate Course.
There is Rhythm lesson in every stage. Do the whole course even the stuff you already know.

http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-000-IntermediateMethod.php

Offline Simpinator

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 12:00:19 am »
Ok i will finnish the intermediate course and practice evrything even the things i all reade know !

But how long should i stay on each stage if i know most of the things there? :)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 12:13:46 am »
You just need to make sure you haven't skipped anything and that you are actually up to snuff on the stuff you think you already know. Be honest with yourself. In fact, record yourself and listen back to what you sound like. Don't believe your ears while you are playing; believe them while you are listening.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:35 am »
Ok i will finnish the intermediate course and practice evrything even the things i all reade know !

But how long should i stay on each stage if i know most of the things there? :)

It never hurts to revisit things you know. You can pick up stuff you missed and learn stuff you didn't
know existed.
You only need to stay with the things you don't know. If you already have one thing down pat you
don't need to redo it but if it's new or you not up to snuff practice until it clean.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 01:55:46 am »
Also, bear in mind that knowing how to do something, and being able to do it are two very different things. Just knowing how isn't enough. I know how to play cricket, but that doen't mean you'd want me on your team.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 02:13:48 am »
Thumbs up on that one Brad.

Offline goflvhxj963

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2014, 01:24:55 am »
Hey guys just registered to this forum. I played guitar for 1 year and a half or so and I pretty got the basic technique down and good enough finger movement to play fast pieces. The things is that I never thought about the music theory that I just started on the beginner course. I'm having a little trouble with recognizing the chords by ear that it's taking me sometime to move on to the next phase. I've always been bad at memorizing stuff but I'm not sure if it's relevant to my inability to how the chords sound.

Let's get to the main point:
I actually want to make my own original song consisting of guitar, bass, and drum and decided to study music theory using justin's courses. But the problem is that I just have no idea how to set up a schedule for me to go about achieving this goal.

Can anyone give me some advices?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2014, 02:10:15 am »
Justin course is basic music theory. I'd suggest you need far more playing experience and theory background before you can work towards your goal. Knowing chords by ear and transcribing songs from ear, would be a good place to start.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App