Author Topic: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice  (Read 25632 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
Re: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:59:45 pm »
So I finally figured this one out.  I had a hard time here.  I really didn't know what I want to do.  Now I do.  Had to think hard.

What do I want to do?  Well I want to play with other people.  I would like to play in front of people again.  I don't have the vocal.chops to do the acoustic vocal open mike night.  So...

I think I need to be able to learn songs fast.  So...

I can pick up things fast jamming or at the possible genesis of a new band.  That is how the first jam session I went to at a church went.  I did not burst into flame as I feared might happen.  All kinda modern pop rock worship music.  They had cheat sheets with lyric with changes written over it.  Three acoustic three electric and bass plus me.  Lots of cool progressions.  All songs i've never heard before.  I got invited back and I.caught on to some of the tunes pretty fast... a couple I just didn't feel and I'd miss changes sometimes so I played less.

I want to handle that situation better.  So...

1 - Put on a CD I like or make one.  Start it.  As it plays find tonal center, find major or minor, jam pentatonic, find the right two notes to add, play in relevent diatonic scale, probaby minor (add 2 and b6) or major (add 4 and 7) but could be any mode.  Dorian - add 2 and 6 - to pent minor.  Lydian - add #4 and 7 to pent major.  Unless it's bluesy or blues based... then well all that other crap might not matter.

Jam.

Work out easy riffs and rhythms...

2 - Buy one of Justin's set of jam tracks.  Shopping now.  Thinking PR-022 really useful play along tracks.  Get that and do the exact same thing as above.

My practice will be jamming through a set or two of songs picking them up as I go.  Some will pick up easy some will pick up hard.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Nicolás Delgado

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:48 am »
Hi, today I made a practice routine but I don't know if it's the right one for me.

The routine that I created is:

*Technique: (20 Min)
   - Finger gym -->5 Min
   - Minimum movement --> 10 Min
   - Scale Picking --> 5 Min

*Knowledge: (35 Min)
   - Theory --> 20 Min
   - Notes on the guitar --> 5 Min
   - Scales --> 10 Min

*Transcribing: (1 Hr)
   - Chords --> 15 Min
   - Plucking --> 15 Min
   - Fingerstyle --> 30 Min

*Repertoire: (30 Min)
   - BBQ --> 15 Min
   - Fingerstyle --> 15 Min

*Improvisation: (20 Min)
   - Scales --> 10 Min
   - Melodic percussive fingerstyle --> 10 Min

My long term goal (5 years) is to have a youtube channel with at least 10 songs created by me, and my short term goal (1 Year) is to at least create 1 song. But the problem is that I want to create progressive fingerstyle songs (Candy rat).
Am I on the right path or I need to change somethings?

Thanks
Guitar: Takamine G340SC

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:10 am »
I think you should build your practice schedule around your 1 year goal. Then break that down to the first 6 months.

What you put in your practice schedule is going to change, depending on how you progress. Not sure anyone else can tell you what should go in it.

GuitarGirl2013

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:21:19 pm »
How do I know what my goal should be?

Offline Cal

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
  • West Bromwich • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25:55 am »
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline HHT20

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
is it advisable to practice two genres in the same practice schedule? for example I am learning the blues. but i also would like to learn jazz. so do i first finish all the lessons on the blues and then move to jazz or can i do it simultaneously?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:23:03 pm »
I'd work on your blues first hht, cos jazz is a load harder and will require many of the techniques you'll learn in the blues...  you'll enjoy the jazz up your blues series if you are ready for that!! :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Nozzer

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »
Basically want to be able to do AC/DC - pref Angus, with a bit of Malcolm thrown in.
I guess I am not the first. Anybody got a practice routine?
have You Shook Me All night Long ok-ish now, but much more to attend to to get the Back In Black album done, then the earlier stuff. Simple ain't easy.

I've been going for lessons for c 1 Year now, but am struggling to put time in to practice. Plus tutor not that into AC/DC - except for Thunderstruck - not one of my favs. Prefer Powerage stuff.

Tutor thinks I need work on stopping the notes from clashing - muting strings that are not being played during solos etc. Guess he is right. Is there specific lesson on this/practice routine to help?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 12:42:28 am »
 I think you've just got to break down to the things that AC/DC tend to rely on. I'm learning a number of their tunes and while many of the chords are simple, they're often changes really quickly, and/or a little different to the standard ones - they often drop a note off here and there. This seems to be important to get the sorts of sounds they play. But that requires practice to learn these alterations and get your speed up. I've been plugging away at the intro to back in black for months; it's not simple to do it fast, rhythmically and clean every single time.

Then there's rhythm. Highway to hell is all on the rhythm of the chords, and muting them out to quick stops. THe only way to practice this is practice strumming chords and muting, and making up your own rhythms, so that you get used to doing it.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 01:23:11 am »
Malcom is the cake, Angus is the icing.  Angus is awesome great lead player love him.  But Malcom supplies the groove and an awesome groove at that.  Malcom makes Angus better.  Learn all the parts.

Shado
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Lukas

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

My long term goal (5 years) is to have a youtube channel with at least 10 songs created by me, and my short term goal (1 Year) is to at least create 1 song. But the problem is that I want to create progressive fingerstyle songs (Candy rat).
Am I on the right path or I need to change somethings?

Thanks

If you want to be able to play fingerstyle, learn by playing simple fingerstyle tunes. All the things you have in your schedule are great, but I doubt that you would be able to play fingerstyle in one year based on your schedule.

You have a clear goal - that's great. Now you have to make your practice routine lead you toward that goal.

A short while ago I wrote an article about this same topic, check it out if you like.
http://theaspiringguitarist.net/guitar-practice

Hope that helps

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:00 pm »
Justin,

I'm an adult student.  Been playing about 2 years.  I pretty much still suck.  My goals are:

1.  To play fun BBQ songs for my family and friends.
2.  To play classic rock cover songs just for fun and maybe play with some other musicians.
3.  To play finger style guitar by myself....kind of be a one man band...

What lessons / courses should I be taking in order to reach these goals.  So far I'm in the beginner course around stage 3.  I have the song book and just ordered the RUST DVD. 

I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:47 am »
All of them. Justin's course isn't designed as a pix n mix approach.

Start at the beginners course, if you've got basic strumming skills and open chords, it own't take that long. All the works been done for you. Follow it, and learn as many songs as time allows.

The songbook is a very good learning tool, and regardless of what lesson stage you're at, you might find your playing skills are ahead or behind of the stage you're on.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 01:48:20 am »
Hi Chris,

My understanding is that while the principles in this lesson are general, it is aimed mainly at people who are at a 'player' level, rather than those still following the Beginner / Intermediate courses (like you and me! :) - I'm at about level 3-4 Intermediate).

I think that everything is taken care of for us in the Beginner / Intermediate courses through the practice routines recommended at each stage of the courses. Just stick to those. Finishing the BC will bring you close to your goals IMHO, certainly for the BBQ songs, then you might want to move on to the Intermediate & Folk fingerstyle modules and/or the Solo Blues songs for example.

I am also an 'adult student'  (:o) who has tried to teach himself for years, and I would say that the BC is excellent - it brings results better than everything else I've ever found. Stick with it, and do everything Justin says (even the boring stuff!), and you will be amazed by your progress.

Andy

Offline chris goss

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 12:17:00 pm »
Thanks for the great advice.  I will stick with my plan of following the basic and intermediate courses.  After that I will go to the fingerstyle course while I continue to improve my song list.  Thanks again!

Chris

Get The Forum As A Mobile App