Author Topic: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice  (Read 25587 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
PC-102 • Decide What To Practice
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:35:24 pm by Indigo »

Offline brj

• Good Vibes 1
Re: PC-102 • Decide What To Practice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:08:01 pm »
I saw the two videos, pc-101 and pc-102. It was very interesting. But I am in need of some guidence.
My long term goal (3 years) is to create a Christian instrumental band. My medium term goal (1 year) is to play lead in our local praise and worship group.
What I need:
1) Technique. (Hammer on, pull off, slide ext)
2) improvisation
3) music theory
4) music reading
5) Transcribing
Am I on the right path? If not, please point mein the right direction.
Robbie

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »
Everything your need is on Justin's web site. Have you taken any of his free lessons?
He has free courses on all 5 point in your list and he also has books and DVDs.

Offline brj

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:22:28 am »
Yes, I have. I am aware of all that is availible. But I need to know if I am on the right path.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 04:56:56 pm »
How long have you been playing? If you have just started your goal of playing lead for your worship
group might be a little lofty. It can be done if you have lots of practice time and the songs the group
play are simple.

If you already have a good grasp of the guitar and work on your list it is very possible you can hit your
targets. Reading music is a plus but not necessary to hit your targets. So if you find it hard to learn/practice
every thing on your or don't have enough time you can spend less time on Reading Music and more time
on Transcribing  and Technique.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 06:37:58 am »
I haven't seen the video as t won't load for me. Looking at the list you have though, it looks a little vague.

Look at #1. if you break that down you still have rhythm, finger strength, finger independence, stretching exercises, picking technique, and loads of other stuff.

I think you are off to a good start by listing the skills you want, but you still need to go a step further and isolate how you can practice each of the elements involved in those skills.

Offline brj

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
Thanks guyss. I have been playing on and of for about 20 years, but took the electric up on a serious level about 2 years ago. I am planning to look for a decent tutor early 2013.

Offline CambaNation

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:15:30 pm »
Here's a question I've had on my mind for a while. My music taste is extremely varied. I enjoy many genre's that I'd like to become competent in. For example, I really enjoy jazz guitar like Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery. On the other hand, I'm a big blues and blues rock fanatic. I love all the 3 kings, Hendrix, SRV, Eddie Van Halen and all the british blues rock guys like Clapton and Jimmy Page and Brian May. Lately though, I've been listening a lot to more technical players like Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck, Guthrie Govan and Eric Johnson.

Though I practice a lot, I feel like my practice regiment lacks focus. Should I separate my practice schedule where I focus on a different music genre each day while still trying to improve my technique. Or should I stick for a while to one genre, say jazz, until I become competent enough and then move on to the other genre's I like?

I´d appreciate any feedback on this!

Cheers
On acoustic: Crafter DE/7
On electric: Fender 60th Anniv. Strat MIM, Tex Mex PUs (Neck and Mid), SD SSL 3 (Bridge)
Gear: Vox Wah V487, Musket V2 Fuzz, OCD v4, Boss GT-8, Laney Cub12 Head, Behringer 4x12
Playing since 03/08

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »
All the genres of music you have mentioned have the same foundation. Get the foundation down and
you'll find the technical parts easier to learn.

You didn't say how long or at what stage you play at. If your a beginner start with Justin's beginner
course if you are further along get your blues scales, chords and riffs under your fingers.
A little more info about your playing would help.

Offline CambaNation

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
Hello stitch101. Sorry about that. My guitar bio so far  ;)

I have been playing regularly for 4 years with no fix practice schedule. In the beginning I learned my basic chords (majors, minors, 7th extensions, inversions), bought Justin's Practical Music Theory I and II, learned the blues scale, major scale, and worked regularly on my hammer ons and pull offs. I had an obsession with David Gilmour during my first 2 years of playing so I had plenty of practice with bends.

Then I got all into Hendrix. Learned the rhythm guitar parts on at least 15 of his songs and plenty of solo work too. I formed a band where I have performed some Hendrix and SRV songs live (most notably Lenny and Voodoo Chile the long version). We play mostly latin-based music, funk, and reggae now, but at home I'm all about playing the genre's I mentioned.

Trying to emulate some more technical players in the last 3 months, I found that my alternate picking technique is severely lacking. I also learned that they use techniques like economy picking and hybrid picking. These are completely new to me, yet I would like to develop them to play along to the music of technical players that I like. However I find practicing these techniques take up most of the time I have to play guitar and end up neglecting other things I would like to learn like a better understanding of jazz, chords, and basically just expanding my guitar repertoire.
On electric: Fender 60th Anniv. Strat MIM, Tex Mex PUs (Neck and Mid), SD SSL 3 (Bridge)
Gear: Vox Wah V487, Musket V2 Fuzz, OCD v4, Boss GT-8, Laney Cub12 Head, Behringer 4x12
Playing since 03/08

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
You've covered a lot of ground in four years. That's a good thing
Sounds like you have a good foundation to build on and your falling into the same trap I find myself in
to often. In one of the videos Justin say "The more you know the more you know you don't know."
This is so true. I find myself fixated on something I want to learn and by the end of the week I've gone
full circle and I'm learning something I need to know so I can learn what I want to know.

Watching these videos on Practicing has made me rethink what I practice and how I practice.  It's only
been a couple of week that Justin has started these practice videos and I'm still trying to list the thing
I Need to know so I can play the thinks I Want to. I think that the big hurtle all of us need to get over. Knowing the difference between Need and want

I'm not into Jazz yet so I can't help you with the need to know part but Justin does have a course called
Jazzing up your blues and he has a Jazz course so that might be a good place to start.

Offline CambaNation

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:56 pm »
It's only been a couple of week that Justin has started these practice videos and I'm still trying to list the thing I Need to know so I can play the thinks I Want to. I think that the big hurtle all of us need to get over. Knowing the difference between Need and want

Tell me about it! Some of the players I mentioned have an incredible understanding of rhythm and harmony that I think is probably due to their experience playing hundreds of tunes in all the major genres (blues, jazz, R&B, funk, prog rock, classical and more). Then there's the technical side of things that just takes thousand of hours of practice to master. Too bad I have to study for school and work at the same time  :-\ Maybe I can find a way to not leave the house for like a year like clapton did and just breathe and eat music all day long ;D
Playing since 03/08

Offline rpreisendanz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 12:19:00 am »
Question on what to practice.  My Big Goal is to be one of the best songwriter/singers.  I have written a number of songs and recorded them on Studio One and my 8 track. It has been gigantic fun! I want to keep heading in this direction and I have come up with the following mini-goals:

1. Learn all the notes on guitar, well.
2. Study other song writers/singers I like.
3. Practice vocals.
4. Listen to as many other songs I can.
5. Do the one hour practice as recommended by Justin.

Any suggestions and/or affirmations would be appreciated.

MFguitar

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:50:48 pm »
Hi Justin,

my first post here. I have been playing for about one and half year. I did your beginner course but i didn't set any goal.... I just jump from one thing to other but i see no progress. Nothing is different except i can play scales better but that is not what i like to do.. That was big mistake. I love Rolling Stones and they were the reason that i bought guitar... Now i have a goal to play 10 Rolling Stones songs and later all 50 that are on GRRR! album.
First ten would be -

1.Angie
2.Paint it black
3.Wild Horses
4. Satisfaction
5. Start me up
6. Beast of burden
7. Fool to cry
8.Brown sugar
9. Sympathy for the devil
10. Ruby tuesday

What would you suggest to practice or which lessons should i take from your website? I really struggle and don't know what to do to achieve my goal.

Thanks for help

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:41:31 pm »
Do want to play rhythm, lead, or both?

In any case, find out what techniques the Stones used - practice those chords (the way they played them) and the chord changes. Then, if you want to learn their lead - study their riffs (see my sig). After a while, it should start to come together for you.

Pick a song to start with and learn it completely - rhythm and lead. Then move to another, and another. Once you've gotten a few under your belt the rest should come easier.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App