Author Topic: PC-103 • Keep A Practice Shedule  (Read 14810 times)

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: PC-103 • Keep A Practice Shedule
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:02:20 pm »
Is it possible to get to "advanced" level with real practice like 3 to 5 hours like 6 days a week or is it too late? How long will it take me to get too player level (approximately)? I know is diffrent for diffrent people but like 2, 5 or 10 years?

Practice too much and you'll burn out. That said, if you really feel the desire to practice three hours a day, don't let a bit of discouragement stand in your way. I wouldn't do that every day, certainly not at first though.

I think Justin mentioned running a marathon somewhere - guitar practice is a bit of the same thing. If you want to be able to practice that long, you've got to practice your practice - If you can follow that. An hour a day isn't a magical number - it's just a convenient block of time most people can work with. If you feel you need more, do more. But get there doing a bit more at a time.

I will say that for most of the categories I wouldn't mess with the 5 minute interval thing. Rusty Cooley used the same method (and he practiced a lot more that an hour a day). 5 minutes seems to be the amount someone can go 'full out, full concentration' - a sprint, if you want to keep the running analogy going. If you want to do something for 15 minutes, do it in three 5 minute segments.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Tharen

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:36 pm »
Heya,

I've been playing electric guitar for a few months and I know the basic chords and few scales, aswell some tiny parts of songs and the A Minor Pentatonic Scale extension that I have been improvising into.

I've been trying to figure out myself a practice schedule for a day now, this is what I have come up with, any tips & advice would be appreciated.

I have yet to figure songs to learn for the Repertoire part, also the transcribing part is open for me, I figured I should first check out justins lessons for it so I have put it there aswell. The times are rough estimates and I would probably do the technique exercises in 2x5min bursts.

Thank you in advance,

Tharen

Offline jimkb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
Hi, I'm one of those who has picked up the guitar had a go and put it down again over the years. I've never kept a practice schedule before and always ended up playing something I could play and never really improved.

I've made an effort this time to keep a practice schedule and I have seen an increase in my playing ability. I always thought it was to much trouble before. Even if its just 1 minute changes keep a written record for the level your at, its worth it.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:09 am »
@Tharen - looks good to me.

@Danne - I still do my practice in 5' blocks other than transcribing and jamming!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

TheZachster5627

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 09:55:35 am »
Hey Justin i recently been experiencing "Repetitive Strain Injury" in my left hand. This was due to chord practice.
I was wondering if someone plays guitar the whole day, how long should he rest before playing chords again?
Thanks a million Justin! ;)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »
I think you should ask your doctor about that.   ???
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »
Hey Justin i recently been experiencing "Repetitive Strain Injury" in my left hand. This was due to chord practice.
I was wondering if someone plays guitar the whole day, how long should he rest before playing chords again?
Thanks a million Justin! ;)

As sophiehiker says,a Doctor might best answer that.....

I did something very similar to myself,a few months back....Got sore so on the top of my hand right at the wrist,from chord changes,that it was 5 days before I could pick up a guitar again...

Having two sisters in law that are LPNs,I went to one of them,rather than a Doc...Experienced advice for free.... ;D...She was of the opinion that I'd given myself a mild,(still painful) case of tendonitus,and to treat it the same as the two "officially" diagnosed cases I'd had,(work related) were treated...

You should stop NOW and recover,whether that be 2 days or 2 weeks....

I pushed through right up til when the pain literally MADE me stop.....Now,some 3 months later,although I've learned lots of new stuff,I am just now getting back to being able to practice for comparable lengths of time as before I hurt myself.....

Be very careful... :)

Falco252

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »
Hey! Great video as always :)

I want to know, can I for instance, mix practice and fun? For instance I do 5min scales, 5 min spider, the whole with a lot of concentration, and then I play a song I "master" for 2 or 3 up to 5 minutes to relax then get back at practicing something.

I want to know if it's okay to do that, if it doesn't kill my ability to learn/concentrate of it's actually a good idea.

I'm not sure I've made my point(sorry I'm not a native english :/ ), but I hope you did :D I remember I was doing that when I was studying in school, 20min study then 2min relax etc...

Thanks again for the practice videos :)

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 07:03:51 pm »
 Falco252  The whole idea of learning all this stuff is so you can play music. So if breaking up your practice
time by playing song helps you practice then that's OK. Justin even has a spot in the practice routine to
play songs.
http://www.justinguitar.com/images/RS_images/PracRoutine-1hr.pdf

Offline johnie0815

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 08:09:06 am »
Hello :),

sorry for my bad english, iam not a native ;)

I have a little "problem" with the practice shedule.

The 5 minutes for technique, scales, etc. are okay for me. But for a solo or a whole song? If it is a really tricky one iam not able to learn more than 2 bars in 5 minutes.

So do you really practise songs and solos just for 5 mins/day?

Greets
Johny

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 10:42:06 am »
I always have Songs or Improv at the end of my session, and just extend it as much as I want / have time to.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 11:46:10 am »
If I'm short on time - which is most days - I do 5 minutes of concentrated chord sequences. It makes sure I actually get a little practice in dedicated to playing a song, every practice.

If I have more time I doodle around for as long as I like. But still - 5 minutes is better than just thinking - oh, not worth it today, don't have the time.
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 01:00:27 pm »
If I'm short on time - which is most days - I do 5 minutes of concentrated chord sequences. It makes sure I actually get a little practice in dedicated to playing a song, every practice.

If I have more time I doodle around for as long as I like. But still - 5 minutes is better than just thinking - oh, not worth it today, don't have the time.

That's good Laila. Playing 5 minutes a day is much better than not touching the guitar!
I do not have a practice schedule per se as I sm practicing songs for the band, but during the day I pick up the guitar for 5-10 minutes and practice what needs most practice.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App