Author Topic: PLEASE PUT REVIEWS HERE - but not questions...  (Read 196625 times)

dwood29d

Re: PLEASE PUT REVIEWS HERE - but not questions...
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:42 am »
To be honest, I really only bought the book to support the cause because the site is so great but sweet holy Moses am I glad I went through with it. Anywho, I bought the PDF a few days ago and read through to the first worksheet, at which time I promptly printed out all 45 pages, 3 hole punched them, and stuck them in a binder for ease of use. Nothing wrong with the PDF format, especially since I can just print out the individual worksheet pages because they're always on a page to themselves, I just actually thought it a good/helpful enough read that it was worthy to be printed out in its entirety.

As far as reviews go. This book is fantastic. I already have a bit of background in music because I played a few instruments growing up in my school's bands. I understood key signature and that certain key signatures had certain sharps or flats, but never understood why, and since I never played a chord instrument, I never had use for understanding or building chords. 15 pages into the book and I already understand exactly how every major key is formed and am well on the road to understanding how to build chords. It's not automatic because I haven't memorized everything yet, but to be able to memorize one idea (the progression of tones and semi-tones in a major scale) and then translate that into so much after only 2 or 3 hours of reading and practice is amazing. Fantastic work! Thanks Justin.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:52 am »
Thanks for all the awesome reviews y'all :) much appreciate it!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:29 pm »
I guess it's time I added my review to the heap here. :)

Let me start by saying that I consider myself very green when it comes to theory. I did what we all did at the start and looked over the internet finding scale diagrams and positions; finding what chords go where; and finding what notes are in a key. It's all really good information to have, but I never understood how it worked. I was just memorizing it all.

Where this book really shined for me is that it filled in those gaps in a way that was very approachable. While all of the other theory books like to throw in a bunch of big words and concepts assuming you know them already, Justin doesn't do that. He explains everything in a clear and concise manner that makes sense. He just makes it click.

I actually think to some degree this book is having a laugh at a lot of the others. It's like it's pulled back the curtain and shown you that there's nothing very complicated back there at all. It's just a bunch of simple principals that build on each other. It's amazing how many times I was thinking "ooooh...That's why it does that."

One of my favorite things about the style of this book is that it never pretends to be more than it is. It's a beginner's book and is there to provide you with some tools and a good understanding of how to use them. It doesn't tell you what to do; it teaches you how to do it. It gives you the knowledge required get you on your way, but it's up to you to take those tools and master them on your own, and that's how it should be.

If you're looking for a good introduction to theory then here's your book.

azel1963

« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:54 am »
I'm close to finishing this course and have got to say that this has demystified so many things and simplified many others.

Some of it seems quite daunting until you pick up the guitar and transfer whats written onto the actual fretboard, and then you get that lovely "Aaahhhhhh I see" feeling.

Very educational, rewarding and enjoyable!!

logie74

« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2013, 03:35:55 pm »
Only started the beginner course 6 days ago and have bought the beginner songbook, read the reviews on the theory one and will pick that up too.

Absolutely enthralled with learning guitar now that I've finally started and a massive thank you to justin and everyone who has made his site a reality, 6 days in and I feel like I'm adding to my knowledge and improving everyday, I know I will hit a 'wall' at some point but there wouldn't be any point if there wasn't challenges to be overcome.

Offline Bogeybuster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:49 pm »
Hi all just wanted to rave about the above book which I ordered last week of how well structured and concise it is.
I am new to the guitar and just started to learn to play it.
This book is amazing and it actually promotes and encourages you to do the dreaded word yes PRACTICE.
I actually look forward to it now.
Tried a lot of other books and just about gave up.
I love the way it comes with 2 CD's and the song book fits in perfectly to the course book.
Oh and also Justin your videos are fabulous and very informative. Really loving this web site.
Just wanted to share that with you folks but then I guess you will all already know how good this site is.
Keep on making great music and thanks for having me.

Offline jcenter

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:46 pm »
I'm working now on an expanded physical edition, after the success of the songbook and coursebook I'm confident to try it out!! :) J
I have become a huge fan of Justin's work - I'm a beginner and already have the hard copy Beginner's Course and Songbook, although I watch every video as well just because Justin's personality and dedication shine through so completely.  I really want to get the Theory book (I already own two others, neither of which has impressed me), but I'm definitely a hard copy book guy.  I'm reluctant to buy the ebook and then spend additional money to have it printed and bound, but I do want a hard copy of the book.

Justin, is the 'expanded physical edition' of your Theory book going to be available soon?  Do you have a target date for publication?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get the ebook and have it printed on my own?  I certainly wouldn't object to paying a premium for a physical copy if it came directly from you, and so supported your great work.  Hope to hear something soon.  Thanks a bunch!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:17 am »
Hard copy is still in the distance. It'll happen at some point, but probably not until next year.

Not going to work with Amazon... they take far too much money for selling products.

Cheers, J.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline naturalcanvas

• Good Vibes 0
  • Practice makes perfect!
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2013, 03:53:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Some advice please.. As a beginner is it ok to purchase and start learning the Practical Music Theory side of things so soon?? Would i find this a bit daunting at the moment or would it be beneficial? I'm doing really well and zipping through the first stages and cant get enough at the moment! Thanks :)

Offline mmmbert

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:21 am »
In my experience, I continually kept at the theory part while learning. I would always recommend trying to understand what and why you are doing something, in any endeavor.

That being said, it is best taken in small bites. Justin's book is concise and gives the nuts and bolts. I had another theory book, centered around guitar, more in depth. It was months before I learned much past what scales are and how to construct major and minor chords.  The more "advanced" parts usually came as sudden revelations. It just comes.

You don't have to even know this to start, for quite a while. Much of the groundwork in learning guitar is learning the shapes of the handful of chords that get you at least 75% of the way, almost 100% of the way to enjoying it and playing songs. It is developing good technique, posture, hand position, avoiding bad habits, and developing muscle memory and speed. It is a pretty full plate for a while.

So, I would keep the theory around, for times to read and experiment. Won't hurt. But the real work is the beginner's course.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:53 am »
Reading the book can't hurt you.

How much it helps depends on the type of learner you are. Some people need to know the 'why' in order to do the 'how'. Others can just jump into doing the how without ever worrying about the why. Most people fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

Personally, I'm a theory kind of guy. But I'd still recommend getting the Beginner's Songbook first if you have to choose one. I wish I had a book like that when I was first learning.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline naturalcanvas

• Good Vibes 0
  • Practice makes perfect!
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »
Brill.. thanks for the replies! I feel comfortable at the moment with my progress :) think ill leave it a while longer till i have more chords nailed. Your all really helpful thank you!

Offline lurch

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:35 pm »
Pretty new here, I'm hoping a paperback will be imminent, I'm old fashioned, and I don't fancy firing off a dozen ink cartridges :)

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »
@lurch,  take it to your local print shop.  They'll whip you off a copy.  Remember it's in A4 format, so it you're in the States, you'll want them to "adjust to fit" in the printer driver.   Good luck!
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline flying.muppet

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2014, 11:26:52 am »
 :D  Hi Justin.
 I bought your complete works some 8 months ago and am pleased with it. Still working my way through
it and just bought this E. book Music theory. My only complaint is it was not included in the package.
It is great I have found a new way of getting to sleep. Instead of counting sheep. I work out what note is in a certain position on the fret board EG fret 8 on string 4   (D#) and so on 
                              BRILL  ;) 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App