Author Topic: PLEASE PUT REVIEWS HERE - but not questions...  (Read 192372 times)

Offline Arppa

• Good Vibes 1
Re: PLEASE PUT REVIEWS HERE - but not questions...
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »
I have read the PMT and it does make sense even to my thick head. I wish I had it 30 years ago when I purchased my first guitar book which turn out to be something that put me off music theory forever (or so I tought at the time). Well it did for 28 years! I bought a guitar again last spring and started over again. Beginners method book is very easy to read, things are told so that even I can understand them and it is by far the best beginners course that I have read. I purchased a Ralph Denyers book last spring and with the help of the JustinĀ“s book it all starts to make some sense to me finally. Would recommend JustinĀ“s book to everybody!  8)

Thanks a Million times Justin!

Paul Thurston

« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:57 am »
Hi Justin and all,

Just got a copy of Practical Music Theory and it is awesome. I have been playing by ear for many years but never got round to learning much beyond the open string names  :-[

The book is well laid out and easy to follow. Now I just need to get it printed out.

One thing I am finding helpful with all this is my clip on tuner. It shows me each note as I play
and that seems to be helping cement the notes on the fretboard into my brain.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not?

I'm understanding the theory behind all this but for me, the hardest part is commiting it all to memory.

Practice & repetition should sort me out.

Thanks Justin. Great work.

weblogik

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2012, 06:58:37 am »
I have been playing "since" 20 years ago... i wouldnt say i have been playing for 20 years cause i took something like ten years off dedicating myself to other music / and work ventures, but in the past 4-5 years i have started picking up the guitar again, and until then my knowledge was strictly what id learned on my own , picked up here and there from other people that played guitar , zero theory outside of pentatonic blues scales. Playing a lot of stuff rather well, without knowing really what i was doing. To get me back in the groove about 4 years ago i took a couple of lessons, and at that point i REALLY had lost my chops, and the guy did teach me major scales, however the little theory he tried to explain to me i just couldnt wrap my head around , i had kind of no idea of what he was talking about and didnt even see remotely how it applied to guitar.

I have been sort of back at guitar in the past two years, and have gradually moved to justin as the only guitar teacher i need... I bought this practical music theory book and i just completed the intervals section, so im just kind of getting started with it but im blown away at how easy its been for me to grasp these concepts.  Granted, i have read all this stuff before so maybe some of it is in my head, but i never made sense before prior to now.  im itching to get to the CAGED section cause that is also something that i have read on before and Sort of kind of get the general concept but have not really been able to apply it to my playing but im assuming like everythign else justin does its going to be one of those "I GET IT" moments :)  Also Chord theory, jesus its been years since i have wanted to grasp all that.

I am practicing daily for months for the first time since my teens, justin is the xx--xx. And this book is highly recommended!

Offline allanhu

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • I wish I'd thought of that earlier
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:11 pm »
 Any chance that this will become a physical book in the future?

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:13 am »
I'm working now on an expanded physical edition, after the success of the songbook and coursebook I'm confident to try it out!! :) J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:29 am »
Even more mayhem to get your head around?

I'm struggling after the 6 key tones. But that's not a sight on the material, I've understood a little more already than other resources have tried to explain.

As stressed in the intro, it's stuff you have to take your time with, and absorb slowly. There may only be 12 notes on the fretboard, but they stick them all over the place, and then repeat them. A lot.

I don't get the printer 'problem'. This is 2012. Everyone will know someone with a printer. I thumb, one mate with a printer? Sorted.

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »
I'm working now on an expanded physical edition, after the success of the songbook and coursebook I'm confident to try it out!! :) J

Ohh interesting! Any estimated time scale? I was thinking of getting this as my next purchase, but may hold of! Will it be substantially different?

matonanjin

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »
So is this no longer available as a paper book? >:(  Only a download? :'(

Offline Hefty Man John

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
  • I have a love/hate relationship with guitar
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »
It's a great book. YOu have a 30 day refund period or somethin like that. It's definitely something you want to check out
Davey Baby :)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2012, 05:42:13 pm »

This has only been available as a download, dude.

Welcome :)

Andy

greatwhitepoet

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »
Good luck with the physical edition Justin, Im sure it will be a great success.
There's been quite a lot of interest since I started this topic!!
Although I don't pretend to know everything in the book its certainly helped and I like to dip into it from time to time ....and each time I take a little more from it. 8)

matonanjin

« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »

This has only been available as a download, dude.

Welcome :)

Andy

I'm not dude.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
I'm not dude.

Ooh! Sorry!  :-[

No offence intended.

Andy  :)

steveo2

« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2012, 08:50:25 pm »
Good luck with the physical edition Justin, Im sure it will be a great success.
There's been quite a lot of interest since I started this topic!!
Although I don't pretend to know everything in the book its certainly helped and I like to dip into it from time to time ....and each time I take a little more from it. 8)
It's a basic book,it ask you to learn triads and The major scale.
It pretty basic stuff and you have the book 3 years and should have the contents down, This is the most basic stuff spoken in a basic level.
6 month to a year one should have it pretty much nailed down.
 :)
No offence intended either just stating some basic facts, accept for a few mis-spelled words ,this is the very basic's of theory and meant to be memorized.

greatwhitepoet

« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:24 pm »

Yes, drill sergeant!

Stupid is as stupid does

:-\

Get The Forum As A Mobile App