Author Topic: Bass guitar for beginners  (Read 2649 times)

sia11

Bass guitar for beginners
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »
Hey,

I was thinking if any one knew what would be a good bass guitar for begginers, that is for a middle aged man who has never played a musical instrument?

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: Bass guitar for beginners
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »
One with 4 strings. full scale length. Nothing fancy. something that is easy enough on your hands.

Play an expensive ...say... Fender Jazz to get an idea of how a good bass should play.

In fact if money is no object, just get a Fender Jazz and you'll never need another.
Gone

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:56 am »
Fender Jazz or Precision, sure, depending on the style you intend to play.  I prefer Washburns myself, but there's nothing at all wrong with a Fender.

If you have a lot of money, go with what TB said, if you want to try it on the cheap, go with a Fender Squire for less than $200.  Don't let the price fool you, they are quality instruments.

sia11

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »
thanks for the reply's guys.

My budget is around 300-350$ or 200 sterling, the cheapest model I've seen in stores in my country are around that price.

Ive seen squire basses around this price, maybe I should go for that!

Offline John Anthony

• Good Vibes 0
  • Guitarist
    • Top 5 Bass Guitars under $1000 – Buyer’s Guide & Best Reviews of 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:22:02 pm »
I think bass guitar under $1000 is the perfect choice for beginners.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 12:24:10 am »
I recommend a fender squire for about $200 and an amp, strap and cords for about $100.  If you can swing it, take it to a local shop and have it set-up properly.  Buy a cheap clip-on tuner and you'd be good to give it a serious go.

The quality of the bass isn't that important in the long run.  Buy a fender squire and beat the hell out of it, have fun!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:15:02 am »
At the lower end, Ibanez basses are much better than Squier for the price. Look at the GIO or the SR, ranges.

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App