Author Topic: Translations of common "non-musical" terms/phrases/texts  (Read 3874 times)

simonlehman

Translations of common "non-musical" terms/phrases/texts
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start another thread to discuss and maybe finally settle for some "standard" translations for the common "non-musical" terms and text blocks, like the video description texts. I have just finished my first subtitling task for BC-189 and found that it really takes a lot of time and we should definetly try to agree on some common translations.

So some of terms/phrases/things which I think should be translated in a common way (together with my suggestions on how to translate them) are:

• lesson: Lektion (note: at least one time Justin said "lesson" when he didn't really meant a lesson and rather something like a "training excercise", so as always, we have to use common sense when translating  ;) )
  • stage: Stufe
  • practice routine: Übungsprogramm
  • training excercise: Übungseinheit
  • one minute changes: Eine-Minute-Wechsel
  • the JUSTIN method: Die JUSTIN Methode

This list is probably not complete, but it is what I found while translating just this one video. Also please don't take the suggested translations as written in stone, they are just suggestions. So feel free to tear them apart :)

Then we have the common block of text in the video description, which is mostly the same for all videos. As an example, take the one from BC-189 (note: I had to fiddle with the URLs in this to be allowd to post it, so it is not a verbatim copy of the original lesson description!):

Quote from: Stage 8 Practice Schedule (Guitar Lesson BC-189) Guitar for beginners Stage 8
Justin's Completely Free, Beginners Guitar Course Lesson BC-189.
This is Stage 8, Lesson 9.

This video explains the practice routine for Stage 8, what you should be practicing and how!

Find the related course notes on the following link:
http :// justinguitar . com/en/BC-189-PRACTICEstage8.php

The Justinguitar Beginners Guitar Course, a series of over 100 lessons on guitar for beginners. Text support is on the web site and also in a proper old skool paper book which can be ordered from the web site of your local music store :)

Taught by Justin Sandercoe.

Full support at the justinguitar web site where you will find hundreds of lessons on a wide range of subjects, and all the scales and chords that you will ever need! There is a great forum too to get help, no matter what the problem.

And it is all totally free, no bull. No sample lessons, no memberships, no free ebook. Just tons of great lessons :)

To get help with this lesson (and for further info and tabs), find the Lesson ID in the video title (like ST-667 or whatever) and then look it up on the Lesson Index page of justinguitar.com

http :// www . justinguitar . com

Have fun :)

The first three lines are mostly different for each lesson, especially line three, where the contents of the video are summarized. The next two paragraphs are probably the same (except for the link) for all beginners course lessons, but other lessons might have something similar. The rest is (starting with "Taught by Justin Sandercoe"), as far as I can tell, the same for ALL lessons, thus, we could just translate it once and copy&paste it.

I have only translated the first part of it yet (note: the title of the lesson is in the quote title):

Quote from: Stufe 8 Übungsplan (Gitarren Lektion BC-189) Gitarre für Anfänger Stufe 8
Justin's komplett kostenloser, Anfänger-Gitarrenkurs Lektion BC-189.
Das ist Stufe 8, Lektion 9.

Dieses Video erklärt das Übungsprogramm für Stufe 8, was du üben solltest und wie!

Die zugehörigen Kursnotizen findest du unter folgendem Link:
http :// justinguitar . com/en/BC-189-PRACTICEstage8.php

So, suggestions and improvements are welcome!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: Translations of common "non-musical" terms/phrases/texts
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »
Well, there's a reason why I'm not doing translations... :D

As for the list, I think they're all good, it's just the "Eine Minute Wechsel" I'm not quite sure about. Maybe you should put "übung" behind that to give it more meaning by itself, or maybe call it "Eine Munite Akkordwechsel". I know you're trying to save space here, but maybe that's easier to get.

Okay, the following are microscopic (quite possibly getting lost in details), so feel free to ignore me ;)

"Stufe 8 Übungsplan"
Maybe "Übungsplan für Stufe 8"?

"Lektion BC-189. - Das ist Stufe 8, Lektion 9"
Hmmm... I'd leave out the "Das ist", it doesn't seem to make much sense here, since it refers to "(die) Lektion". I think it's not needed either.

The word "Kursnotizen" strikes me as odd, but maybe that's just me confused by thinking bilingually here. How about "zusätzliche Informationen" and (if that's what it is) "weitere Unterlagen" or "die Kursunterlagen", that's nicely generic and easy to understand.

And one personal gripe I have with internet lingo in general: what would you say to leaving out exclamation marks unless they're truly needed?

Like I said, microscopic ;)

Btw: by now you should be allowed to post URLs.

simonlehman

Re: Translations of common "non-musical" terms/phrases/texts
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:40:49 pm »
Well, there's a reason why I'm not doing translations... :D

Well, that's too bad. But by commenting/discussing things here you are also indirectly doing translations.

As for the list, I think they're all good, it's just the "Eine Minute Wechsel" I'm not quite sure about. Maybe you should put "übung" behind that to give it more meaning by itself, or maybe call it "Eine Munite Akkordwechsel". I know you're trying to save space here, but maybe that's easier to get.

I think "Eine-Minute-Wechsel" should be fine (and yes, I am also trying to save some space). The term will be introduced in to beginners course at some point and also Justin varies between just saying "one minute changes" and "one minute chord changes", so I would say we should stick to this. The reason I listed it here was mostly because I wanted to avoid slightly different translations, like "Ein-Minuten-Wechsel" (which has, to me, a slightly different ring to it, but well, how am I do decide ;) )

Okay, the following are microscopic (quite possibly getting lost in details), so feel free to ignore me ;)

I think we should be somewhat "microscopic" about this. As you said in the other thread, there are already to many "bad" translations out there and I think doing something like this really needs to be quite organized and standardized. So I really encourage everyone to be very specific about even seemingly "simple" things.

"Stufe 8 Übungsplan"
Maybe "Übungsplan für Stufe 8"?

I am perfectly fine with that, though I am/was not quite sure if the "Stage 8" thing at the start and the end was there for a reason, like an enclosing "bracket". So I opted for leaving it where I found it ;)

"Lektion BC-189. - Das ist Stufe 8, Lektion 9"
Hmmm... I'd leave out the "Das ist", it doesn't seem to make much sense here, since it refers to "(die) Lektion". I think it's not needed either.

Agreed.

The word "Kursnotizen" strikes me as odd, but maybe that's just me confused by thinking bilingually here. How about "zusätzliche Informationen" and (if that's what it is) "weitere Unterlagen" or "die Kursunterlagen", that's nicely generic and easy to understand.

Yeah, that's probably translated too literally. I think maybe "ergänzende Informationen" might be good. "Unterlagen" sounds a bit... formal.

And one personal gripe I have with internet lingo in general: what would you say to leaving out exclamation marks unless they're truly needed?

I am all for that, but I am not sure what you are referring to in particular? The exclamation mark at the end of "Dieses Video erklärt das Übungsprogramm für Stufe 8, was du üben solltest und wie!"? In this case it was already there in the original and I want to perserve as much of the original "stlye" as possible.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App