Author Topic: Translation memories  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Translation memories
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:07 am »
Hey !

I've translated some videos. Since my wife is a professional translator, I know a little about the way translators usually work.

I want to talk about "translation memories", which are kind of lists of already translated words. The main objective is to avoid multiple translations for a similar word.

For example, I've translated "G power chords" by "accord de Sol en power chord". I'm sure some of you have translated it in an other way... and that I'll translate it an other way too in a few days, not remembering.
So I was thinking that it could be a good idea to edit a list of good translations of frequent "music theory" related words that we are all going to use later.

Since it's 1am now, I think I'll start my list later. But I'd like your opinion on the idea first anyway ! ;).
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: Translation memories
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:06 am »
I think this is a really good idea. Using multiple terms for the same thing can be very irritating for beginners. This could also save time for translators who are not fluent with all the terms yet.

I'm just not sure about the management question. The list would have to be edited all the time, and you can't edit a forum post indefinitely (unless there's something I don't know). Maybe somebody has an idea for this.

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:17:58 am »
I was thinking that we could create a new thread for it and use the first message to put the words. Since it is possible to modify each message an infinite number of times...

The other messages would be people suggestions, that would eventually be merged in the first message after validation/discussion.

Drawbacks :
* not very elegant ;)
* we have to sort the list by ourselves
* the one creating the thread would be the only person capable of updating the list :(.

You are saying that it's not possible to edit a forum post indefinitely. I've seen the "modify" button next to my messages and it seems like I can edit it anyway I can.

Either way... we probably should be thinking of something else. Maybe a wiki or something ?
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:44 am »
Since it is possible to modify each message an infinite number of times...
No, you can't :/ The post locks itself after a pretty short period of time and can't be edited anymore (by non-admins). Not sure if a mod can do something about that, but we (and I) had that issue before and (at least at the time) there didn't seem to be a solution.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App