Author Topic: BS-105 • I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash  (Read 36872 times)

Offline Laila

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
Re: BS-105 • I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »
@sweed77 thank you for that tip about the bass note. I'll try it out and see if it sounds more interesting than the 4/4. For now the link to the recording is sent so she gets what she gets ;-)
BC Stage 8 started January 2018
Yamaha FS 720S Acoustic
Taylor GS Mini
https://soundcloud.com/laila_ph

Offline Mikeyah

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 10:01:10 pm »
What the end bit justin plays?

Interesting version on songnotes if you youtube it.
It has a g and a b7! he even gets a plug in for justin!

Offline PeterD

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 02:35:42 am »
Hi,
I have some confusion. I started on this song using the payed app with a karaoke type beat you can slow to suit your ability. This has 2 x bars per chord nearly all throughout.
I then got both hard copy songbooks and it has 1 bar per chord change.

I thought the app would be great as you can adjust the bpm to suit but it doesn't align with the book.

This isn't the only song I think, any advice please.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2020, 11:38:03 pm »
This song (https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/johnny-cash-i-walk-the-line-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-105) is down as White difficulty so thought I would have a go. Well I can just about play the chords but doesn't sound anything like the video or the JC version, which I listened to on Spotify. )JG has a Beginners Playlist that includes this and a number of other White songs.) Having listened to the JC version I can't even tell where he changes chords to match the JG version!!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2020, 02:46:11 pm »
So first things first...you've got to understand that Justin simplifies a lot of songs so that those beginning can play something approximating the original. During the beginners stage this goes on all the way through slowly building to a point where the songs are more complex, more chord variations, more complex strumming etc. If you have the song books then Justin does in may say how you can take it to the next stage. In that video he starts off with the simple variation for the stage i.e. all down strums, then introduces something more complex (hitting the bass note as part of the strumming). The simple variation is what you're aiming for at this stage.

Secondly the tracks you're listening to on Spotify, in particular if it's an original, are going to be in a "band" situation with drums and probably at least two guitars with one playing rhythm and the other some form of lead guitar part OR if it's an acoustic they are probably playing a picked pattern over those chords...all just way to difficult for someone on that this stage.

Think of the songs as reinforcing the lessons being learning and slowly leading to a point when they sound more like them. Even without the complex picking this song sounds okay once you've got better at chord changes and strumming. Learning simple songs like this breaks you out of the pattern of just chord changes and prepares you for learning more complex songs as you progress....give it time
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2020, 02:47:52 pm »
So first things first...you've got to understand that Justin simplifies a lot of songs so that those beginning can play something approximating the original. During the beginners stage this goes on all the way through slowly building to a point where the songs are more complex, more chord variations, more complex strumming etc. If you have the song books then Justin does in may say how you can take it to the next stage. In that video he starts off with the simple variation for the stage i.e. all down strums, then introduces something more complex (hitting the bass note as part of the strumming). The simple variation is what you're aiming for at this stage.

Secondly the tracks you're listening to on Spotify, in particular if it's an original, are going to be in a "band" situation with drums and probably at least two guitars with one playing rhythm and the other some form of lead guitar part OR if it's an acoustic they are probably playing a picked pattern over those chords...all just way to difficult for someone on that this stage.

Think of the songs as reinforcing the lessons being learning and slowly leading to a point when they sound more like them. Even without the complex picking this song sounds okay once you've got better at chord changes and strumming. Learning simple songs like this breaks you out of the pattern of just chord changes and prepares you for learning more complex songs as you progress....give it time

Yet another incredibly helpful reply, Jason ... good vibes to you  8)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2020, 09:22:49 pm »
Don't forget that the original Johnny Cash song contains five changes of key - one each time a new verse comes along.

Offline stuartw

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:37 pm »
Don't forget that the original Johnny Cash song contains five changes of key - one each time a new verse comes along.
That's another new word (key) which I have seen mentioned on here and am aware of but don't really know what it means. I even googled it but still not sure!!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »
That's another new word (key) which I have seen mentioned on here and am aware of but don't really know what it means. I even googled it but still not sure!!

The chord progression you are playing in verse 1 is changed for verses 2, 3, 4 and 5. The vocals have to change pitch to match this.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App