Author Topic: BS-306 • Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3

Offline YamahaPacifica

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BS-306 • Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:10:46 pm »
Great tune but I've struggled with links between verse and chorus parts in Justin's video. If somebody is finished with Justin's lesson and still have problems through whole song this video might be helpful

This video does not contain strumming pattern so it's good to learn that first from Justin's video.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:18 pm »
I'm guessing this question belongs in the Justing Guitar songbook section, but i can't start a new topic there. So if the admin would take a look at this, i'd be very grateful.

To the problem at hand. I recently bought the Beginners songbook and in stage 3 of the beginners course, i'm starting to learn Somebody to love, from The Jefferson Airplane.

In the chorus, the last line goes D A (EM). Up to D and A, i get the strumming pattern down, but what happens with the EM? Does the strummingpattern (DDUD|DUUD) start all over again and into link 1or is there something else?
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 183
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »
LG

Not played it for a long while but having a quick noodle through, I tend to play that Em on the last D strum of that 2nd bar and let it ring out. I'll have a mess around against the original and if anything sound s different I'll let you know.

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:30 am »
I can be such an idiot at times  :-[.... I've worked out 2 things. First is the right location for this question to begin with and second is the strumming. I'm not quite sure if it's "right", but to me (and my family) it sounds good so i'll stick with it.

Another day, another thing learned....
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline naturalmystic

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 08:18:26 pm »
What are the chords for verses 2 and 4? and on verse 3 it says N.C and then eventually | D  A | but you can't just not play anything for that long? There is music playing on the record. I can't work it out.

Offline labince97

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 01:08:53 am »
Hi naturalmystic ! For verses 2 and 4 I use the exact same chords as in verse 1. except for the beginning due to the "N.C." as you mentionned it.

The last chord before the "N.C." is a Em that is played for 2 strums only, and then you'll have to count for a whole bar of 4, and a whole bar of 6 beats without playing, and finally play the [D-A] part.

I'm learning the song myself and therefore I'm not sure about what I'm saying but that's how I play it following Justin's advices from the book, and I guess it works, even though I find difficult the count those two blank bars that don't have the same amount of beats each !

I hope it helps, sorry if my English is not perfect, it's not my first language. Enjoy !

Get The Forum As A Mobile App