Author Topic: For all Adblock plus users  (Read 3381 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
Re: For all Adblock plus users
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:19:13 am »
I didn't know people can block Youtube ads. That'll explain why ad revenue and views never correlate. Kind of a shame cos the revenue from Youtube supports a lot of creators. :( but I get it. Most people want everything free with no inconvenience either. That's not a dig at any of you using this stuff, might lol into it myself! It's just getting harder to make the free for end user model work and other revenue streams need exploring!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 12:13:35 pm »
I don't mind adverts as long as they're stupidly intrusive.

It's like our local newspapers website. It has stupid pops ups, videos and other annoying adverts that make reading a 30 second article take about 5 minutes.

As long as they're not stupid intrusive all adverts on indie websites adblock is turned off. 
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
People will always seek, like water, the path of the least resistance. Useless to frustrate yourself over that justin :)

I never bothered to use an adblocker but some really go nuts over youtube ads (and I can't blame them)
I'm rather bothered with the fact that I always see the *same* ads and a bit too often video's on YT begin with an ad. Overlays can be a xx--xx too. As a marketeer, I always veto'd the idea's for overlays..brr horrible.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 06:26:06 pm »
I didn't know people can block Youtube ads. That'll explain why ad revenue and views never correlate. Kind of a shame cos the revenue from Youtube supports a lot of creators. :( but I get it. Most people want everything free with no inconvenience either. That's not a dig at any of you using this stuff, might lol into it myself! It's just getting harder to make the free for end user model work and other revenue streams need exploring!

The problem is that for the longest time, youtube was really just ad-free.
Then came adverts on the pages, which was fair enough, but those got so bad they plastered the entire page...
So people started blocking them more.
Then they started with adverts before, and sometimes after and during the videos...
And THAT pisses off so many people that eventually someone figured out a way to block it all.
If advertising didn't always start off small and then grew like some giant tumor to the point where there's more ads on a page than genuine material, half as many people would be running adblockers.
Some sites will come up with a rather annoying overlay that will tell users they can't use the site if they don't allow java/flash/if they block ads, but that is easily defeated as well by just blocking that element from loading altogether...
Which, again, just pisses off the users and makes them more determined to block the ads.
Another problem is that there's a LOT of malware-spreading ads out there, which only make people go 'ads are bad, mmmkay ?', and block the lot.

Also, for the sake of being informative, adblockers are but one way people free themselves from adverts.
Hosts file based blocking (basically nullrouting the advertising servers) is quickly becoming more popular, and one can't do anything about it, as the advertising servers simply never connect with the intended target.
Advertising sites can switch names and servers, but eventually they get listed again, and there goes their advertising revenue.

What it boils down to is this : advertising on the internet wasn't an intended feature at the start of things, and like the .com bubbles that have popped and will continue popping, it is NOT a sustainable business model.
It never was to begin with, and the sooner people start understanding that, the better.
This may seem a harsh truth, and i can already hear advertising guru's scoffing at me, telling me i'm wrong...
But i remember how, in the late 80's and early 90's, many BBS'es grew too big for their breeches, started with advertising and/or 'pay to play' and then quickly went the way of the dodo. Since then i've seen many websites fall to the same problem.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 08:41:14 pm »
So, who pays for all the stuff?  Not trying to be a jackass, just trying to figure how it works.  So we all pay for all the stuff with our broadband access fees, which would inevitably increase in direct proportion to the lost revenues?  The government takes over (omg NO) and tax us for it?  Everyone just supplies all the servers, services and apps for free.  YouTube and the like charges the users a usage fee?  Or just withers and dies?  Charges the uploaders?

YouTube has to figure out how to at least (even were they a non-profit) pay the people that do the things to keep it running, keep the juice flowing into their servers.

Yeah Scott, so we want you to commute 2 hours a day and design the electronics you currently design but we don't want to pay you.  You're cool with that right?

Um, no.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »
What it boils down to is this : advertising on the internet wasn't an intended feature at the start of things, and like the .com bubbles that have popped and will continue popping, it is NOT a sustainable business model.

I tend to agree. And it's why companies like Google are aiming for more subscription based services and why I think companies like Twitter and Facebook will, ultimately, fail.

I've worked in the Internet business a long time and I've seen a lot of companies start up offering "free" advertising based services, from dial-up ISPs in the 1990's onwards. The only way most of these companies made money was by getting a lot of customers very quickly and then selling or IPOing the company.

The other thing is, even if you come up with a new channel, or a new way to push ads which commands a premium and actually makes profits, ultimately others will follow and undercut you, and push the prices down. This, I believe, ore than ad-blocking  is the main reason the ad revenues at Youtube aren't as good as they used to be.

This was the "new economics" which drove the tech bubble in the late 90s and which caused so much havoc in the financial markets, and it still survives today. It works like this: you create a high growth, negative profit company, find people who are rich (or who have access to lot of other people's savings to invest) and stupid (there's lots on Wall Street and the City of London), sell it to them for vastly more than it's worth, and let them deal with the fallout whilst you sip cocktails on your yacht.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »
YouTube has to figure out how to at least (even were they a non-profit) pay the people that do the things to keep it running, keep the juice flowing into their servers.

That is the big quandary, and Youtube is trying to find models that work. Part of the problem is that people are so used to things being as they were that they M&B when they change.

Google, in particular, have suffered with that (although a good part of that is because Microsoft have, in recent years, spent 10s of millions of dollars each year infiltrating large companies, Government organisations and the press; creating fake consumer groups; and creating "sponsored advocates" to post blogs and comments deriding the competition).

I know they are looking at things like subscription services and have tried things like Helpouts before (which were a nice idea, but didn't seem to get any take-up). I suspect they will continue to use advertising as a key component of their revenue stream for some time, largely because it will take time for people to get used to directly paying for things more.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 09:06:20 pm »
So you are saying the solution is for me to give youtube 5 bucks a month for access.

Give me ads thank you very much, and offer subscription services for those who don't want them.

Shadow

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »
So you are saying the solution is for me to give youtube 5 bucks a month for access.

If you don't want ads then, yeah. How else does the service get paid for?

Give me ads thank you very much, and offer subscription services for those who don't want them.

Well that's where it's going. I think you will always have a choice, but it wouldn't surprise me if you start to see "exclusive content" for subscribers at some point in the future.

By the way, if you pay for Google Music All Access (which is now a viable competitor to Spotify) you get a Youtube subscription bundled in.

Cheers,

Keith

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 09:14:19 pm »

Shadow

I'm with you Shadow.  Everyone want everything for free and ad free but the money has to come from
some where. If the ads on youtube and on Justin's home page help Justin pay the bills and make a
living so be it. I hate pay based or user pay or whatever you want to call it.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 09:30:56 pm »
I'm with you Shadow.  Everyone want everything for free and ad free but the money has to come from
some where. If the ads on youtube and on Justin's home page help Justin pay the bills and make a
living so be it. I hate pay based or user pay or whatever you want to call it.

So, you wouldn't buy any of Justin's DVDs? Isn't that the same thing?

Cheers,

Keith

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »
Interesting article. This lne absolutely cracked me up though:

However, in an online forum in November, one user responded negatively to the prospect of Taboola being whitelisted.

What!?!? Someone somewhere complained about something? inconceivable lol

All in all I don't mind ads, and tend not to block them much because I know that is the only way to keep the content I want to watch free. I think a 3-5 second ad on a 5 minute video is acceptable. Heck, I'm ok with the occasional 15 second one. What irks me is when I go to watch a film trailer or somesuch on the movie company's youtube channel and get an ad that is longer than the video I want to watch, which is itself an advertisement.

The quickest way to get me not to visit a website though is too many ads. I hate when you have to click through the opening ad that blocks the page. Then you have the ad at the top, the 15 ads down the sidebar, the 3 ads disguised as links to articles, and then 2 minutes into reading the article you inevitably get that annoying video ad that starts playing on its own...usually just after you've been playing music loudly so you could hear it in the other room.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 09:37:24 pm »
So, you wouldn't buy any of Justin's DVDs? Isn't that the same thing?

Cheers,

Keith
Last I knew if I buy a Justin DVD, I don't get charged a monthly fee.  I am missing the sameness of which you speak.  I buy a thing.  I get the thing.  Transaction over.

Shadow

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:18 pm »

Shadow

Got netflix ?

And that's all i have to say on that.

====================================

In any case, this is where we will be going eventually : subscription services/sites, free services/sites provided by non-profit organisations, and some services/sites will keep on trying to pay for things with ads, until it stops being viable.
Ask any consumer what their biggest irritation is, and advertising will always feature in their top three (unless we're talking about marketing xx--xx, but some of those fools even subscribe to the likes of adcritic... need i say more?).
The more people get bombarded with advertising, the more they will speak out against it.
Sure, there's always exceptions, but you know what they say about that...
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 09:46:04 pm »
Last I knew if I buy a Justin DVD, I don't get charged a monthly fee.  I am missing the sameness of which you speak.  I buy a thing.  I get the thing.  Transaction over.

I see what you mean. I was referring to the general concept of paying for content on Youtube (and similar services).

Youtube have, for instance, already introduced paid channels and videos. So Justin could, for instance, push his premium content via a rental or purchase model on Youtube rather than shipping physical DVDs. I'm assuming you wouldn't be against that?

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App