Author Topic: TR-107 • More Pentatonics  (Read 7728 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
    • justinguitar.com
TR-107 • More Pentatonics
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:33:23 am »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:04:20 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

SlyPopenski

Re: TR-107 • More Pentatonics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »
Suggestion : It would be nice in the future to also have the rhythm tracks to play along, for the longer exercises, like 107-E & F.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:06:14 pm »
Answers added and I have no idea why 107-D wasn't available for download, it should have been from the start... it is now :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

rebetis

TR-107-PLUS: mistake in answer sheet?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
i dont know, somehow i have the feeling there is a mistake in the answer sheet for the TR-107-PLUS.

[mod edit - font size reduced the font size to avoid any spoilers ... click on quote if you want to read the section I have made tiny]

In the last bar of #107-E I always hear: 10 (c) 8 (eb) 9 (e) 8 (c) 11 (bb) instead of 10 8 9 8 10 8 11.

In the second last bar of #107-F I hear: 12 (g) 14 (a) 15 ... and not 14 (a) 12 (g) ...

[mod edit - end of font reduction]

maybe i'm just deaf, but maybe i'm right ...

apart from this, the sites is just excellent.

rebetis
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:24:11 am by close2u »

rodri

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
I really feel like I'm improving, especially i´m much quicker at this by now. I'm still having troubles with the lower notes.

I'd like to ask if anyone else is having trouble with the third triplet of D: after checking the answer I still can't hear what i'm suppose to :s

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:47 pm »

@rodri,  I was able to get the Third triplet in TR-107D per the answer sheet.  (I got a lot of notes in the wrong position, but that triplet I got right.  :) )   The triplets were hard for me because I can get the rhythm right with the wrong notes and it sounds pretty good.

I don't have 107-plus, so I can't help there.
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

slf21

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
This course is fabulous, and I too am making progress and as soon as my current cash crisis passes have every intention of paying for it, but yes I agree, i'm trusting my ears  ;) and i'm confident you're right that there's a typo on the PDF for the 3rd bar of 107D, to my ears there's definitely no triplet there, it stays on the 4th string 8th fret (bflat) for a single beat note.  Maybe i'm wrong and I'm not doing as well as I think, but I got everything else in this page spot on so as Justin says, Trust Your Ears!  ;D

I really feel like I'm improving, especially i´m much quicker at this by now. I'm still having troubles with the lower notes.

I'd like to ask if anyone else is having trouble with the third triplet of D: after checking the answer I still can't hear what i'm suppose to :s

8042nick

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »
can someone tell me i am trying to find the beginning free lessons from the beginners transcribing course.

where are they i cant find them anywhere can it there a place where all the initial free transcribing lessons are kept  which i take take first before moving onto the paid ones will u keep adding to them

can someone or justin email or message me

thanks

nick

Offline sophiehiker

• Transcribing Beta Testers
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:57:41 am »
Did you find them?  You can start here...

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-000-Transcribing.php
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Mafiu

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:21 pm »
Isn't at 107C mistake in answer sheet just in intro? I swear I hear 2nd note semitone lower than there is.

Offline mark767

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »
107D just killed me.  I was doing so well on all of the other lessons getting the either perfect or just 1 or 2 mistakes.  I think I got 40% of the notes wrong on this one.  After a week of work I finally figured out the correct key but still had a lot of problems with the notes at the end of the first line and the middle of the second.  Oh well, I guess that's why we are practicing this stuff.  On to 108 now.

Offline ericgottlieb

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:39:54 am »

I was having a tough time too with that part so I broke that last part down in D note by note.  I tried my best and checked my work a bunch.  Thankfully I got all the notes right in that last bit. lower notes are  gong to be harder to listen out for then those higher.

Offline Remedy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »
I don't undestand everything in this lesson. For example in exercise 107-A second the second note is 10 fret on the 3 string, but I trinscribed it as 6 fret on the 2 string- it's the same note, but is it wrong? And if it is, how am I supposed to get it right? And another thing- about keys. How do I find in which key is the solo?

Offline Wormseye

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 08:28:21 am »
Hi there

TR107-F is freaking me out.....I started 7 fret 3rd string and answer says 3rd fret on 2nd string. I know the note is right but am I missing something? My pattern seems easier as I don't have to jump to fret 15 for the next bar!

Thank you in anticipation!

Wormseye  :)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 12:51:05 pm »
Short answer:  Generally you can shift just about any riff up or down 5 frets, switching strings and play the same melody.  You found the correct note (pitch) which is the primary objective.

Sounds like the only thing you missed are Justin's notes from the lesson page:

"snip...

There are two parts to these exercises.

Part A: Figure out the notes I'm playing - anywhere on the neck. Don't try and base it on a scale shape or worry about what it is, just try and find the notes. If I'm doing something like this I'd be starting around the 5th fret because it's kinda central, but it really doesn't matter - just don't use open position.

Part B: Work out WHERE I am playing... Everything I am playing is based around Minor Pentatonic Pattern 1, I am using other notes too, but as in the previous exercises it based around that basic Box 1. It's just a shape remember... you should be well familiar with it by now!!

... snip"

So the "rules" of the exercise are why the answers are what the answers are - he was using Minor Pentatonic Pattern 1.  But in the real world you very well may want to play the "riff" in a different place on the neck - in one of the other patterns.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.