Author Topic: TR-100 • Transcribing Course Introduction  (Read 10660 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:09:05 am by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Shu

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: TR-100 • Transcribing Course Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:59 am »
Just one little question: What about classical players? And not just guitar, I mean for all instruments. I know that they do tons of ear training with intervals and stuff, but do they ever transcribe? As far as I know they play mostly from sheet music without having ever heard the piece before which always seemed kind of weird to me.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:23 am »
Most times classical players will have heard the music before learning it, but no I've not heard of pure classical musicians transcribing, except for the very best of the best working out ornamentation.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:49:02 am »
Just found this course only now. Cant wait to try the rest.

Justin -  that is a sweet new guitar you have :-). I assuming that is a new Gibson ES-339 since I have never seen you using one before

Offline patzw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »
On the page for this lesson it says "Before starting this course I suggest that you complete the Intermediate Method Foundation at least half of the Blues Lead Guitar Course, which covers some lead guitar skills and bending which are both used."

I'm only about halfway through the beginners course. I've seen quite a few posts around here from people at the beginning of the beginners course, or still working their way through it as well who've gone ahead and given transcribing a try.

I figure Justin's advice is there for a good reason and I probably should stay far away from transcribing for now, but there are a couple of songs that I really love for which I can't find decent chords or tabs online. The only way to figure out if I could possibly start learning them now or at least in the future would be to transcribe them. Or find someone else who is both willing and able to transcribe them for me. From what I've seen the general reply to people asking for chords/tabs or strumming patterns here though is usually "learn to transcribe, it's good practice, useful and you'll be able to figure out the songs on your own in the future.'

I understand and am in favor of trying to instill proper habits in 'us beginners' and trying to prevent guitar players from taking the easy or lazy road. I know learning to transcribe will make me a better player and musician in the end and I want to go there eventually. But if I go by Justin's suggestion I shouldn't be trying to transcribe right now.

So what I want to know; is there any harm in giving it a shot at this stage or should I really practice patience here and wait until I've gone through the beginners and intermediate course at least?
- September 22nd 2012: Fender CD-60CE Sunburst
- January 18th 2013: Fender Standard Stratocaster Midnight Wine, Maple Neck + Mustang I

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:27 pm »
If you can tell the difference between a Major and Minor and 7th chord them give it a shoot. What songs
are you wanting to transcribe? If they are way above your level you will only frustrate yourself by trying.

You said you can't find tabs on the net. Mast tab are put there by people who transcribe them. So if
nobody has transcribed them They may be beyond most peoples level of transcribing.

Most people here tell you to do it yourself because Justin can be sued if someone posts tab illegally to
the site. But if you tell us what songs your are looking for I'm sure people will help you with the transcribing
and give you hints or tell you if your right or wrong.  :)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:11:13 pm »
... there are a couple of songs that I really love for which I can't find decent chords or tabs online. The only way to figure out if I could possibly start learning them now or at least in the future would be to transcribe them.

Hi. Most of the Transcribing course is focussed on lead guitar lines, rather than chords. If you're doing the 'JUSTIN' ear training exercises in the Beginner's course, then these are ideal for trying to find the chords to a song - I don't think this course will help you *particularly*. You might want to look at TR201, TR202 and TR501 for some 'safe' chord examples.

I hesitate to second-guess Justin's intentions, but I *suspect* the 'entry requirements' were put there with string bending in mind. However, as far as I can remember, there are no bends in the exercises (to TR108, anyway). I think you do need to have learnt the minor pentatonic scale, and be reasonably confident with it, though.

There's no better motivator than wanting to play a song you love, so I would encourage you to get stuck-in trying to figure out a chord accompaniment. To avoid disappointment and frustration (some frustration will be inevitable, I think), see if you can find a live video of the song being played which will give you an idea of whether capos or odd tunings are involved. Purists may consider this to be cheating, but it still leaves *me* with plenty still to work out.

I think requests for *assistance* get helpful answers (I'll certainly help if I can, but I'm only learning, like everyone else), it's the 'do this for me' posts that tend not to be very fruitful.

Go for it!

Andy

(Crossed with stitch101)

Offline patzw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:38:25 pm »
Yeah, I understand and I do respect that. I just wish I was able to fully transcribe songs myself, would make it a lot easier to learn songs that I wish to play.

I am able to tell the difference between all the chords from stage 1 through 4, at least on the JUSTIN training exercises. Working on those from stage 5. Of course it's a lot different from hearing/recognizing the chords in songs. But if that's good enough to start the transcribing lessons I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

As for the songs, I think the problem isn't really their difficulty but more the fact that they're not widely known. Some of the songs for example are Antigone Rising - Happy Home, The Hot Gates - My Repair, Amber Benson - The One I Need and I haven't able to find any song by Tara Blaise (looking for them all, but especially Unbearable Lightness). I have no idea if these are 'fit' for a beginner transcriber with limited chord knowledge. Perhaps someone can at least offer me advice on if these are worth the attempt right now?

There's also one that I know is definitely too advanced for me right now, Lindsey Stirling's Shadows. I found an electric guitar cover of it on YouTube and it's one I aspire to learn someday, further down the road. 

Edit because another reply popped up while I was typing.
Andy, yikes, minor pentatonic scale, I'm definitely not there yet! :o I will however use your advice and see if any live videos exist for the songs I'm looking for. I'm willing to try anything at this time that might help me on the path of learning these songs.
And I get what you're saying with the 'do this for me' attitude. That's pretty much the reason for my posts here, I want to learn to transcribe myself but I felt like right now I'm at the level where it's not a real option and I didn't want to be that person that asks others to do all the work for me. I'm slightly more optimistic now though, I have no illusions but I guess now is as good a time as any other to at least give it a try.
- January 18th 2013: Fender Standard Stratocaster Midnight Wine, Maple Neck + Mustang I

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:44 pm »
Some of the songs for example are Antigone Rising - Happy Home, The Hot Gates - My Repair, Amber Benson - The One I Need and I haven't able to find any song by Tara Blaise (looking for them all, but especially Unbearable Lightness).

I've just had a quick look at these on youtube, and realised that it helps immensly to be able to play barre chords (even if you just use them to find the chord, then switch to open chords), which I guess is another reason for the 'entry requirements' and I guess you haven't got your F chord down yet, either. This will make it *much* harder than it should be, and restrict the number of do-able songs. For many you will need a capo to keep within the original key using the chords shapes that you've learnt so far.

You can play along to (most) any song with only 3 chords. I'm not claiming that these are transcriptions, but seem to play along OK, at least to the verses - the bridges, and any other bits would need to be worked out:

Try:

Happy Home - Capo on fret 6: Am - D - G - G // Am - D - G - D

Unbearable Lightness seems to be C, F  & G, which you could play with the capo on fret 3: D - A - E - E // D - A - E - A

My Repair - Capo on fret 4: Am - Em - F ..... then I stopped.

The one I need - I didn't even start!

Please take these with a pinch of salt, and accept my apologies if they are way off, but hopefully they might get you started - if you think something else fits better, then I'm sure you are right.

It helps immensly if you know the song inside out, but it's not easy, soo don't get too frustrated!

HTH

Andy

Offline patzw

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:21 pm »
Andy, you have no idea how much I even appreciate the fact that you gave them a shot! Unfortunately I can't give them a try right now without pissing my neighbors off but I can't wait to attempt these tomorrow.

As for the barre chords... you're right, not up to F yet. I do have a capo for playing, but for finding the chords I guess that would make it a lot harder. :( I think I will watch the videos from the Transcribing course and I'll give it a try these next few weeks, but I better keep my expectations for now reaaaaaaally low. Oh well, it IS another bit of extra motivation to keep working hard at the beginners course ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App