Author Topic: cheap mic for guitar recording?  (Read 3464 times)

welly_59

cheap mic for guitar recording?
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:40:05 pm »
any suggestions on cheap mics suitable for recording at home? i know the sm57's are recommended but this is just going to be for me to mess about with at home and thus i'd rather not spend £70+ if possible

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: cheap mic for guitar recording?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:26 pm »
Might be tricky. £70 actually constitutes a pretty cheap mic. Below that, you're in amateur land, and the results may be a little... well... ya'know?

Check out Thomann.co.uk. They make/sell some very cheap-but-decent knock-offs of famous mics under the brand name "t.bone". That should give you decent-value-for-little-money.

If you got your eye on a specific mic, check it out on the German website Thomann.de, there are usually tons of user reviews there, and you can see the ratings.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »

You might take a look at the Zoom H1n.  I recently bought a Zoom H2n for recording my mistakes, I mean practice.   :D   It can be used "stand-alone' recorder, or as a USB mic. 
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:17:44 pm »
Check out Thomann.co.uk. They make/sell some very cheap-but-decent knock-offs of famous mics under the brand name "t.bone". That should give you decent-value-for-little-money.

I think the term "knock-offs" would benefit from a little clarification. A lot of electronics equipment is designed and manufactured by companies in the far-east. As I understand it, Thomann have struck deals with these "Original Equipment Manufacturers" (OEMs) to supply them with the same baseline product. In some cases these may have cosmetic design changes to avoid violating design patents and branding, but in a lot of cases the only real difference is the badge on the product.

So, rather than being a cheap copy as the description "knock-offs" suggests, more often than not they come off the same production line as the branded version.

So, in a lot of cases you really are getting a functionally identical product for a far cheaper price. So why would you pay a premium for the more expensive branded version?

The answer is that a premium brand can often provide additional "value add" over and above the raw product by providing better QA, customer support, distribution network., etc. I have no direct experience of Thomann's "value add" so I can't comment on how good or bad they might be. Whether the premium commanded by the larger brands is worth it or not really is a personal judgement call on a case by case basis.

For instance I would, personally, be much more likely to consider purchasing an OEM mixer or mic than I would a guitar.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
Samson Q1U - a modest priced usb mic

I use one - it's ok for what I do

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »
any suggestions on cheap mics suitable for recording at home?

Recording what?

"guitar"

Oh, ok... what kind of guitar?

"6 string"

Ah, I see...

Well in that case..... and this mic is PERFECT.... plus it's only $50 and has very good resale potential. Probably get all your money back if you decide to sell.

Get yourself a....

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
@Majik: yeah, I heard that, too. I also read comparisons between the t.bone and it's "originator", and they said different. Some of them may be technically identical, but others apparently are not. Still, the value-for-money factor seems to be great- Pareto at his best ;)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
The Chinese stuff keeps getting better all the time.

In a round about way... this is what happens...

China builds a mic based on a vintage design

Company A gets the mic and says, ok, we need to upgrade these parts, but you can't sell this upgraded version to anyone lese but me.

China says OK.

Company B approaches China and says lets hear that mic. they show them the Company A modded design. Company B says cool but we need to change this circuit a bit, it's incorrect. China says cool.

This process repeats a few times. Eventually China in putting out a better base product and company A says wait a minute, you weren't supposed to do that. China says "Do what?" we are now selling you a better mic that what you used to buy. We made your mic better.

Beyond that when you see the same mic for $100 and $400 it's most likely got a capsule and/or transformer from a custom shop that specializes in those items. So some companies might do one of two things. Buy the shell from China and build it up here, or ship key components to China and have it build there.

Gone

welly_59

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:49 am »
For now im thinking of either a tbone mb75 from thomman or a chord im07. Both cheap, but im not sure if cheerful :D.

Anyone used them?

basically just want to record my practise sessions etc. I've just bought a fast track usb so will be playing with it and experimenting with direct input and micing  the cab

welly_59

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:48 am »
I've gone and bought a tbone mb75 so will post a quick comparison compared to direct input whenit arrives

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:27:52 am »
Please do! I'm really interested to hear how that mic does.

Offline grim83

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »
there is always the option of a cheap set of headphones/ computer speakers. Is it pro level recording no, but it works for a hobbyist who is broke or cheap or just getting into it.if i could figure out how to do an attachment i could post this clip of me playing wildthing to give you an idea how it sounds

joshs

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:11:33 am »
Maybe the market's way different in the UK, but here in the US you can find an SM57 used for about $70USD, which I think translates to about 40 pounds... and they're abundant.

Offline TheAJSound

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:16 pm »
MXL993, beautiful small diaphram condenser -- I've used it in all my videos.

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33313.0
If you want a sample :) (sorry not trying to advertise here)

Offline adibranch

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 11:21:00 am »
I personally would not buy a 57 or that price mic before you learn how to place it and EQ your recording correctly. You could buy a cheap pro mic in the £50-100 range, and not have a clue how to use it , position it, set levels up, EQ it, or even worse listen to it on PC speakers etc...

Buy a cheap usb mic, work with the positioning and setup.. you'll get just as much fun out of it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App