Author Topic: Stage mic for acoustic guitar - any suggestions?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Stage mic for acoustic guitar - any suggestions?
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
I'm fooling around with a few ideas at the moment, and I'm looking for some suggestions: if you wanted to mic an acoustic guitar on stage (solo performance), what mic would you use? It should be rugged enough for road-use, and shouldn't cost more than €250,-, preferably much less than that ;)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jack

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
Re: Stage mic for acoustic guitar - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
I'd be more inclined to use a pickup on stage than a mic, fewer headaches with unwanted noise, feedback and keeping the mic position relative to the guitar as desired.

If you're set on the idea though you probably want to look at a cardioid pattern mic. can't suggest anything specific though.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 09:22:39 pm »
Aren't the Shure SM-57 and SM-58 the work horse mics in the industry?  Would one of those work?

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
@tourni: same here, at least as a rule (and for the same reasons). Just experimenting with a couple of things that won't work too well with a pickup, even with a hybrid pickup like my D-TAR double source, unless I put it on all mic, then it's maybe-kind-of-okay. Hence my straying into this strange field ;) Not sure if I'm ever going to do that, but you know me, always fooling around with something...

@shadow: I tried the SM58 and it sounds okay. The SM57 would probably be a little better for this (no pop-filter in the way), but I read a few times that there are better mics (in that price range) for acoustic guitars on stage, and that the SM57 is more of a go-to mic for amps than acoustic instruments. No clue if that's true, I have nothing to compare it with around here. I suppose it's because of frequency range and the fact that the SM5x aren't all that linear. But I'm definitely considering those. Shure recommends some of their condensor mics for stage use with acoustics (don't remember which right now), but they're a tad expensive afaik.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »
Try to figure out what these are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdoH2AMolA&feature=related

I'm sure any of the people in the links listed in this video will tell you exactly what they are using and why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-aDB0UP28g

That's just a little town about an hour and half from me. I'm sure they all know what everyone is using and if they don't would probably be happy to find out for you.
Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:24 pm »
Awesome musicians - that's for sure.

Condenser mics are a must on stages set for bluegrass musicians. Something interesting also - they do live mixing by themselves by moving up to the mic when playing solos and away when they're not.

I'd say Shure SM137 on an acoustic. ;)
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:03:18 am »
Awesome musicians - that's for sure.

That town is the crossroads to all the bluegrass stuff. Take a left on I-81 and it's all bluegrass country.

... and yes,,, all good bluegrass bands mix themselves while playing. The mics are instruments and not simply amplifiers.

... and another little bit of trivia... That region is also home to Peluso mics. A respected builder and supplier of capsules to mic modders and repair people.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:30:05 am »
Someday I'll visit your country and visit all the festivals, concerts and award shows I want.

I know Peluso mics. Well, I know they sound awesome and are a bit tall on the price! ;D

In all seriousness - Peluso is a name used by large studios so I see where they're at.
Production and mixing

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:14 am »
@TB: thanks for the tip, and these are great musicians for sure. But to be honest, I'm not terribly impressed with their live sound. Of course it could just be the video (sound) quality, not sure there.

@Cue: I put that on the list. I did some quick research just now, but so far I couldn't find any (really informative) vids on it. I'll check more thoroughly later. So far it looks like a good "in the middle" mic, which is what I'm looking for.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:40 am »
Here's something else: http://youtu.be/3larcGfwC0g - they do that all with condensers too.

I've looked for an SM137 before but I settled on an Oktava MK-012 but I don't use mics for live sound (yet?).
Production and mixing

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »
You might want to search Youtube for Austin City Limits. but most of their acts are plugged in.

Or maybe even better search NPR Tiny Desk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLRTleMY_mc&feature=relmfu

Although they seem to just use a shotgun on everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQPFUfezgQ

...and why use one mic when ten will do?.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHpqDVEUDJ4&feature=related

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:27 pm »
@TB: got stacks of those videos and websites, but they're all about recording, not stage. I've got a sort-of-decent condenser mic for recording (at least for my humble needs), but that's worse than useless for stage. Hence my question ;)

Well I'll check out the SM137, and I suppose a short detour to Audix might be worth my while.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »
@TB: got stacks of those videos and websites, but they're all about recording,

Actually....  Austin City Limits and NPR are all live.

...and as Cue has mentioned, you are likely to get the best sound with a condenser which is the same thing you would use in a recording setup.

Scooter Trash might have some good ideas. He ran live sound for 25 years. Might want to PM him.

Whatever you end up with will sound different with you, your playing, guitar, venue, etc.. than it will with someone else. I mean you can pretty much see from all the videos, everyone is using something different.

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:26:53 pm »
@TB: I was referring to the second video, that says "Acoustic Guitar Recording Techniques". Both vids sound great, but that doesn't really tell me what mics they're using. I was just hoping that somebody around here has tried this already or know a mic suitable for acoustic guitar and stage use.
"
Btw: imho it's not quite the same. For recording I can use whatever mic I want, it comes down to sound quality and nothing else. For live sound I can't (or at least I really shouldn't). The one I have e.g. is not only extremely heavy (tips over every mic stand I have once it's 2ft away horizontally) and rather "sensitive", it would also pick up the audience. It's officially cardiod, but open both sides. For recording all that isn't much of a problem, on stage it won't do at all.

But it's all good. I need to watch that Shure clinic again, they talked about this, and I seem to remember some vids from Audix about the subject (or was that vocals? I'll find out).

Thanks, guys, this gives me something to work with.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of no one but yourself knowing what you you want to hear. So find some "sounds", identify the mic, then determine if it would be suitable for your application. If so, give it a shot, if not keep looking.

A mic tipping over a mic stand is not a mic problem. Save your money for a Latch Lake or get creative with DIY counter weights.
Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App