Author Topic: Diamond Dave's Chord Chart  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
Diamond Dave's Chord Chart
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:32:18 pm »
Hey don't suppose you could post the chart. Sounds like something very useful!

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the Excel workbook.
WARNING: Everything I post may be wrong. :)
Some guitars, a ukulele and an amp.

ComfyJammies

Re: Diamond Dave's Chord Chart
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »
Holy cannoli, wow, that is quite a chart.  I bet your chord changes are rather awesome, that chart alone has well over 4 hours of chord changes, let alone the practicing to get there!    How did you go about doing that??  I'm almost afraid to ask for the excel file!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
Awesome indeed!  :o

Whatever floats your boat, but don't lose sight that the 1 minute changes are a training aid to get you up to speed enough to be able to play songs without the chord changes messing up your rhythm. They're not an end in themselves.

As long as you can keep a steady rhythm through the chord changes, then playing songs would be better practice than 1 minute changes IMHO.

Got to admire your dedication though! :)

Andy

Offline Chantal

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 40
  • Live today as if there's no tomorrow.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »
Wow, that is some chart! I suppose you could black out chord changes such as E - Emin, though. Since that's just taking off 1 finger, and not really a change. But wow, I'd love to have a chart like that!

I was pretty much up to the point where the F chord came into play, but Justin said it'd be better for me to start again at stage one and take a bit more time to complete each stage, so that the foundation would be more solid and I'd be more confident about my playing. And who am I to go against that advice, right? He was right too, because whereas I was too insecure to actually learn any songs before, I find that pretty pleasant to do now.

So I'm not at the stage where the F chord needs to be learned yet, but I do try to throw in a few minutes F chord practice when I can. I got it to ring out beautifully once, but have been unable to repeat that. I am actually quite curious to find out how long it'll take me.
Thank you for the music!

My Roadcase

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
The chart is not as bad as it seems. Some chords, like another poster said, are no-brainers (E-Em). I learn songs, too, but they're easy if you know the chords! The chart has really helped my overall finger dexterity. I might have been at 30 changes per minute at the start on C-G, then practiced some other ones for a few weeks, then gone back and hit 60 on C-G (with no practice on C-G in the meantime).

And, yeah, it's probably hours and hours of work, but I practice for 30-45 minutes about five or six nights a week and have been since the end of 2011, so I probably have 45-70 hours of practice in (90 days x 30-45 minutes a night). But that's not much at all--you figure people who have been playing for years have thousands upon thousands of hours in.

And remember, Justin himself says in his consolidation test for the beginner's course, "And be able to change between any two chords at a speed of 60 changes per minute (one change per second)." That means Asus4-D7 just as much as it does D-G or Em-A.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:22:04 am »
I finished my chart.  :) 276 chord combinations.  :o The last one: F barre/B7.

Now, on to the next...

Offline BobK

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
Just wanted to pass along a "thank you" to Diamond Dave for putting together the chord change chart.  I'm wrapping up the consolidation phase of the beginner's course and just finished the chord change chart.  It proved to be a great chord workout over the course of a few months.  And checking off all those boxes appealed to the OCD-side of my personality!!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:29 am »
You should throw your maj7 and m7 chords in there too. They would fit right in.
Gone

Offline usr76634

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 01:40:02 pm »
I know it has been a while since the last message but is there anybody who can share the chart with me? I pm'ed to OP but his last login is quite in the past

Offline misterlutherman1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »
So do you mean you are practising these chord changes for 1 minute, changing multiple times within that minute, or something else?

I was going to ask if you were taking 1 minute to change, then realised that is a bit too long to take, for most people.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 387
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 09:08:56 pm »
This thread was started over five years ago and the OP has not visited the forum in more than two years.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App