Author Topic: 12 bar blues rythym patterns  (Read 3178 times)

robert c

12 bar blues rythym patterns
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:21 pm »
Im having a heck of a time getting through the 12bar blues patterns on my Martin acoustic. hands gets tired after about the second time through. Is this because Im on an acoustic? how much time should i spend on this? Cramps are getting in the way of practicing other skills..help?

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: 12 bar blues rythym patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:07:29 am »
The most important thing: relax! The "standard" 12 bar blues is one of those things where it's easy to tense up and trying to force it. Depending on how you play it it can be very "stretchy" and that's probably the reason it's so strenuous.

It's also very important to check your hand position, that really makes a world of difference. Make sure your hand doesn't try to get in "chord position". Just watch how Justin does it.

To make it easier it's a good idea to do Justin's finger stretching excercises, they really help.

Other than that, I'd simply practice it a little every day (or several times a day, even if it's just for a couple of minutes). No need to force it, but the 12 bar blues is definitely something a guitarist should have under his belt. I myself didn't practice it enough when I should have, so I'm actually working on it again right now (mostly while I'm watching TV).

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:08:56 pm »
Theory question, sort of:

When playing the 12 bar, if you start with the G as the I chord, it will contain the notes G (1st string) and either D or E on the 2nd string when you put finger #4 down.

The chord then becomes G-E which is a major 6th interval, so it becomes something else.

The same occurs of course when dropping a string to play the C (IV) chord, when you put finger #4 down and you alternate between C-G and C-A.  What would that new chord with a root and a 6th be called?
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »
I normally think of it toggling between a G5 and a G6. If you have the stretch with your 4th finger then you get the b7. This of course is easier to get in the keys of A and E.

You need 3 notes to form a proper chord, so these are just intervals. Specifically, a perfect 5th, a major 6th, and a flat 7th (which implies a dominant 7th chord).

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Get The Forum As A Mobile App