Author Topic: That F chord again  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Gemius

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
That F chord again
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »
I've been playing for nearly two years and have made good progress. Common chords are no problem, I rarely look at my left hand and I can play Barre chords up the neck except for one thing. I thought my big F chord was OK when strumming but lately I've started finger picking and it has exposed that as not true. Try as I might I cannot get the double pluck on the 2nd and 6th strings (as per Justins Lessons) to ring out clearly when playing F maj.

I've tried changing to the alternative grip of barring 1 & 2 with the index finger and the 6th string with my thumb, but while all the fingers are fine with my thumb in the middle of the neck it all goes Pear shaped when I try to wrap it over the top.

Am I right in saying I will never need to fret the 1st string when finger picking F? In which case, with my index finger vertical I can get my thumb over more easily, and is this a common problem and does anyone have any other solutions to it other than what I know I've got to do from my own experience and has been said many times before. ie Practice practice practice.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
Re: That F chord again
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:37:48 pm »
Am I right in saying I will never need to fret the 1st string when finger picking F?

I don't think you can say that.  The first string is the root note and I imagine that at least on occasion that would be a note one would need play as the melody note.

As for the thumb over technique, that takes a while to get the hang of.  But is quite handly once you get it down.  Make sure to practice both the major and minor shape at the same time while you are at it.  I my hand goes into a slight different "pear" between the the.

The only thing I can think of to look at: does it so happen the the second string is lining up under the knuckle crease on the underside of your index finger.  If so moving your index further up or down across the neck may allow the string to ring. 

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Gemius

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: That F chord again
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
Thanks for that Shadow. I've experimented with the positon of my index finger and and while I was having a really good session at it tonight I noticed a peculiar thing. I've been putting a lot of pressure on the index finger of the fretting hand when picking, and I suddenly realised that the 2nd string actually sounded better when I took some of the pressure off! I don't know why that should be but it probably explains why my strumming has been sounding OK as I'm much more relaxed with that and not so consious of the pressure.

I'll give it another hour or so tonight and perhaps it will all come right tomorrow!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App