Author Topic: Collaboration Check List  (Read 1313 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Collaboration Check List
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:17:13 am »
When trying to get a collaboration going use the following as a basic template so others know where you are coming from.

Your Part

1. State what you play and your level
------- Guitar - Beginner
------- Piano - Advanced
------- Drums - Basic Beats
------- etc.....

2. Recording gear
------- Beginner - have nothing other than computer but can use basics like Audacity or Garage Band
------- Mid Level - use DAW software regularity but don't really know it well. Can get a decent sound to share.
------- Advanced - can do most anything that might be needed for a basic demo
------- Pro --- the recording and mixing will not be a problem

3. Music Theory
------- Beginner - I've heard of theory, I just play until it sounds good but don't know what I am doing
------- Mid Level - I understand scales, chord harmony, Keys, Time signatures but some things throw me off
------- Advanced - I can write a song without hearing it and know it will be musically correct
------- Pro - I will be able to fix any technical issue that we may run into as far as theory goes

4. Goals
------ Simply state your goals and what you are willing to do and not do.  Do you want to lead or follow. Does one area of a production appeal to you more. Basically anything to help others determine what their role might be. Obviously you don't need 5 bass players unless the project is to have 5 different mixes with 5 different bass possibilities. But... if your goal is to find just the right bass line for your song you might want 10 bass players. Your goals will obviously dictate how many people you get wanting to participate.

5. Wants and Needs
----- Similar to goals, what sort of outside help are you looking for.
-------a. specific instruments
-------b. help mixing your own tracks your way
-------c. help with lyrics
-------d. singer
-------e. Producer - someone that offers help from all directions and keeps your project moving  - the boss
-------f. Assistant producer --- someone that gives direction and matter of fact opinions that the producer may or may not follow
--------g. ReMixer - someone that turns your project into something you had not imagined ( for better or worse )
--------h. song writer
--------i.  any other thing

If you are going to post a jam and want people to actually know what you have going on, it would be a good idea to post a simple chart for your song.

Things you might include

Key, BPM, Tuning, etc.

Simple Chart

|E7 / / / | x4
|A7 / / / | x2
|E7 / / / | x2
|B7 A7 E7 A7 |

Another method
C Major
|I /// | iii ///| vi /// |ii /iii / | IV /// | V /// | I

Or if you can't organize it any better just list the chords in the order they appear.

In addition it is never a bad idea to have a tuning note or two at the head of the file.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:36:55 am by close2u »
Gone

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
Re: Colloaboration Check List
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:42:52 am »
Tb is a thorough thinker.   And it's all good what he wrote.   But...

Don't be all freaked out about the list.   These are questions you should know the answers to but you don't need to put them all in your first post.    I put out stuff and asked for help without a lot of these things in the post and I got help.   That said, I can answer most of them if asked.   And I've been playing less that two years.  The reason I can answer them is that I have collaborated.   It's a skill to learn, just like strumming or playing and singing or playing lead.

The basic idea for me is to build a song from the ground up until it's a finished track that you could put on an Ep or something.   This doesn't mean you need seventeen players and a sound engineer and a producer and so on.   I mean, it could, but even if all you do is get someone to lay down a bass line or take your bass line and put a song melody on it, that's good too.

I would like to encourage people to post for collaborations if they are open to changes.  If you want everything exactly the way it is,  or if you want to hire a session musician to do your exactly bidding, that's different than letting creativity rear it's sometimes crazy head with other people who are learning.    I've don't enough collaborating on the list to know that sometimes your ideas don't fly and sometimes  you don't like what you get from someone else.  That's OKAY.   There's more where that came from and sometimes people are not a musical or temperamental match.  Let it go and go on.    Just because nobody likes your song idea doesn't mean they don't like you.  And sometimes that happens.   

There is so much to be learned from working with other musicians that you can't learn as easily or with as much fun.   Keeping time.    Listening for different parts.  Identifying what makes up a song.   Understanding keys and time signatures and figuring out where the groove is.   Finding out what you can do and what you have to work on.  Listening instead of rushing ahead imagining what you're going to do next.       And you can do this with a version of Mary Had a Little Lamb.

So that's my addendum to TB's post.   

Pat the Bunny 
Realism is relative.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Re: Colloaboration Check List
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:16:08 am »
Don't be all freaked out about the list.   These are questions you should know the answers to but you don't need to put them all in your first post. 

Yes, certainly nothing to freak out over. It's just a basic list of things people will need to know at various levels. Certainly not necessary to complete the list each time. It's there if you need it... not mandatory.

You can get a lot out of the way up front or play 50 questions. The list is just there to help you help yourself and others that might want to give it a go.

Personally, and this is just me, but if someone says "Hey, I want to collaborate!"  I'm not going to give that post a second read. If they say "Hey, I would like to hear myself playing some guitar but need someone to help me build a simple song and tell me how to record it" I would at least be inclined to get them up and rolling. Maybe write them a chord progression, give them the notes in the key. Point them to software, etc..

All I'm saying is let people know where you are coming from. The list can help with that. You don't have to have any skill to start but people need to know where you are coming from to help you get rolling.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App