Author Topic: Open Office  (Read 1168 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
Open Office
« on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:27 pm »
Anybody use it?

I need to do some basic spreadsheet, WP, stuff and don;t want to install the giant load of MS Office ( unless MS office has gotten a lot less cumbersome that it used to be ).

Is Open Office stable, safe, trouble free, etc...

Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
Re: Open Office
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »
I used it  a while back
(a year or 2or 3?) I went to MS because I got my hands on an MS Office.

Openoffice?
It was very stable,
I managed to open "microsoft style" documents with it although it was not always 100% the same
trouble free? certainly; install and deinstall= very easy
The interface took a while to get used to but it certainly did a very good job, certainly for the price of €0

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:04 pm »
Sounds good. The only MS Office I have is really old too. Like maybe Office 97
Gone

Offline Happy Jack

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 15
    • http://www.highlanedtc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »
I have used it exclusively for the last few years.

Will open most office docs but occasionally with loss of formatting. Have had no problems transferring documents between home and work (MS Office), not quite as pretty or as functional as MS Office  but works and works well.

Never had problems with stability can be a bit slow at times. Spreadsheet works well and does what it says.

Suffice to say all both my home PCs have Open Office on even though I can use free (and legal) work copies of MS Office

Fender CP 50s Strat, CP Baja Tele & USA '89 Plus Deluxe Strat, Rees Custom, Schector PT, G&L Trib. ASAT S/H & Legacy, G&L USA ASAT, Godin Summit, Vintage V100, PRS SE II &  Custom S/H Soapbar, Blackstar HT5, Fender Superchamp, Laney Cub10, Egnator Tweaker

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:45:17 pm »
...unless MS office has gotten a lot less cumbersome that it used to be....

Mein Gott!....... Aww man that made me laugh..........

TB....... Office 2010 has got to be the most bloated, cumbersome software that Microstupid have ever written. I kid you not.......... I use 2003 and files open in a snap........ but opening 2010 is like watching grass grow.

...... And what's worse........ The UI is absolutely screwed........ It looks like a teenager's mobile phone.

Offline Cars10

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:01:31 pm »
Hi,

you may know that when Oracle took over OpenOffice some developers split to start LibreOffice.
http://www.libreoffice.org/
Since then LibreOffice is still developed while OpenOffice seems to be halted.
I am not an Expert so maybe check for yourself.
But wanted to let you know to have a look so you wont get stuck in some time.

Regards,

Cars10
In the end it's all Country Cash!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:33 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys and no I had not heard of Libre.

ETA: That Libre looks like it has everything I could possibly want.  Anyone know a reason not to try it?
Gone

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »
Yes its stable etc. Libre office seems to be favoured (its certainly the standardwith a lot of linux distributions these days). Open office and Libre office will occasionally have format issues on opening MS documents but most of that is down to differences in the fonts which to be honest can happen when you open an MS word document in MS word on occasion.

A measure of where open office has got to in terms of usability is that I have open office in the office for opening documents that colleagues send me in MS's newest format. Simply because word can not always open MS format documents whereas I've not yet found a document that open office couldn't open.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 12:16:41 am »
I loaded it up. It seems to work fine although haven't tried much yet.
Gone

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »
ETA: That Libre looks like it has everything I could possibly want.  Anyone know a reason not to try it?

None, none at all. Seriously, OpenOffice (and the fork, LibreOffice) is well worth having. Like Happy Jack I have used it almost exclusively for several years now, and I run my own business. I occasionally lose formatting when transferring between newer versions of MS Office, but I've equally had significant problems transferring documents between different versions of MS Office (they make each version deliberately incompatible with previous versions to force people to upgrade - I would quite happily be using Office 97, IMO the best version they made, if it was not for the the forced obsolescence).

Even if you have MS Office, I would get it just for compatibility with the OpenDocument standards, which MS Office lacks.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App