Author Topic: Virtual Collaboration  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Baldheady

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away!
    • YouTube channel
Virtual Collaboration
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »
Hey guys,

I want to do a few covers, so need the help of a guitarist/vocals/bassist/drummer . any one if possible. I myself play the guitar. We can alternate rhythm and lead depending on the song. Also if you know a good software for mixing the tracks, and other recording necessities please do come forward. The songs i want to cover would be easy , simple ones mostly, pertaining to the rock, slower metal genres.
Angel by Judas Priest is one such song and also So far away by Avenged sevenfold.

curry chips97

Re: Virtual Collaboration
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
Perhaps you might like to move this thread to the 'Meeting Places' section of the forum

Offline Baldheady

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »
Perhaps you might like to move this thread to the 'Meeting Places' section of the forum

i thought the meeting places thread is for meeting people actually in their local areas and jam together. correct me if i'm wrong. But what i'm looking forward to is jamming online. guitars at one place, drums at one etc.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:16 pm »
It was still in the wrong place.

It's in the collab. area now.

You might want to read some threads ( recent ) about recording gear and such. It sounds like you need a lot of basics and it's kind of hard to put a band together and make things flow smoothly if you haven't don't it before. ... and that's pretty much what you are doing.

Ideally you would want to participate in a colab. that someone else is running so you can learn the ropes of the software, file sharing, gear, mixing, etc..

Gone

Offline Baldheady

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »
It was still in the wrong place.

It's in the collab. area now.

You might want to read some threads ( recent ) about recording gear and such. It sounds like you need a lot of basics and it's kind of hard to put a band together and make things flow smoothly if you haven't don't it before. ... and that's pretty much what you are doing.

Ideally you would want to participate in a colab. that someone else is running so you can learn the ropes of the software, file sharing, gear, mixing, etc..

okay.. thank you. will try finding an already existing one.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:00:26 pm »
There are several old threads here where people have played over backing tracks and such. also some of trading licks sor to f thing. You might want to practice on those to get the whole process going.

Figure out what you can do, what you need help on, etc..

They are all in this same section of the forum and it's OK to revive them any time you like. Try them all if you like.
Gone

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:26:02 pm »
One thing I suggest it to post yourself playing over backing tracks other people put up.  Then people can hear that you can indeed play and that they won't be wasting any time trying to do a collab with someone who might not be prepared (can't play all that well yet, doesn't have all the proper gear to record with etc).

If you're looking to actually work on a project with someone else, think of playing over the backing tracks as a kind of job application.

Or just think of it as fun and play your heart out, solely for fun, and maybe someone will hear something they like in your style and approach you about doing something.

Personally, I'm not really into doing covers, but if I hear something original that I really like I'll send that person a private message on the forums and offer my services.  Done that four times so far with Ragz, Digger, Patthebunny and Marcus.  And I'm always looking to hear other great songs.

I know it sounds kind of backwards as you might be thinking, "how exactly do I learn if I've already got to know how to play before anyone will play with me?" but that's just the nature of the beast.  And yeah, it can feel like being the last kid picked for kickball sometimes but that's why playing on the backing tracks is so important, you will learn a lot of new stuff just doing that.  Do it often, read and apply criticism you receive and sooner or later, you'll be involved in something bigger!  The experience is what you're after.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:47:18 am »
Why not record just a basic version of a song you like and post it asking for collaborators for that song.  Or if there is someone who's work you like, PM them and see if they are up for a collab.   

Do you have any software for recording? 

Pat
Realism is relative.

Offline Baldheady

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »
after reading the previous posts, playing over backing tracks sounds good, a decent idea. Haven't tried that yet. Will do some work over the backing tracks and post. And I'm currently using audacity for recording purposes.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App