Author Topic: Best option for recording (newbie)  (Read 1755 times)

Shaun-UK

Best option for recording (newbie)
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:39 pm »
Hi, I am after something to record myself playing my acoustic (that has no pickups) and singing. Now I can't spend much money and I don't expect to be able to get top quality equipment because of that. I just want a simple device to start out with until I can afford a better camera and a seperate mic. Saying that a £15 webcam won't be good enough ;)

So do I look into buying a Panasonic Lumix type of digi cam that seems to be able to record good videos as well as taking good photos OR a dedicated video recorder? I guess the second option would be better value for money for what I would use it for and if so is there anything I should look for when trying to pick a video camera?

Thanks for any help, I am a newbie at recording and can't afford anything expensive yet. I still have to sweeten the missus up after spending out on a Martin D15M last weekend :)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
Re: Best option for recording (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:56:18 pm »
The first question would be whether you just want to record your playing/singing or if you want to record videos as well. Also, some idea as to your budget would be helpful - "not much" is a somewhat relative ;)

Shaun-UK

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:43 pm »
Oh good point !

Yeah I want it for recording videos of me playing/singing. As for budget I guess £150 would be good but could stretch to £250-£300 if I get something much better for the money. Afterall I will probably use it for recording family type stuff as well as just music.

Thanks again!

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:56 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-hyBvJxdo&context=C412453bADvjVQa1PpcFOMqHDIOCHXqu-1WDqLjTo8pgLSkgk0DE4=

This was done on a Lumix LX5 and I made no attempt to get the sound or video to look good or sound good. If you take a little time I'm sure you could get a good recording with one of those. The blured areas I did afterwards. I was trying to get rid of some distractions. Also zoomed in after the fact. But the camera was sitting on a hard desk a few feet away with lots of reflections.

It's not ideal and to be honest you could probably get a much less expensive camera and get similar results.

The bottom line is,,, you should arrange things so it sounds good, then fit your self in the frame for the video.

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:24:18 pm »
Video is not my domain, one thing though: many "less pricy" cameras are a bit weak on the sound, esp. when it comes to acoustic guitar (which is rather demanding). You may want to get a camera with a mic jack for an external mic, so you can use a much better mic (now or later). You can even connect a high-level dynamic mic to those with a specal cable (a rather weirdly bridged minijack-to-XLR cable, you can buy those). Okay, shutting up now ;)

Offline Deus

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
    • Me on YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:55 am »
half a year ago i bought Toshiba Camileo H30 - small cheap HD cam,
here is footage from that cam -  http://youtu.be/SjkaWtO2UEk
but H30 has very bad mic, so audio i recommend to record at the same time to some special USB audio interface and glue after to the video
SD custom guitars Deus-1 - Bias Amp/FX - Tascam US-4x4 - KRK RP5G2

Get The Forum As A Mobile App