Author Topic: TE-901 • Singing And Playing At The Same Time  (Read 16257 times)

Offline Professor Plunk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-901 • Singing And Playing At The Same Time
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
OK, I'll keep at it. I can play the song while walking and moving around, by the way.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:46 pm »
That's because you don't have to think about walking. If you can play the song while walking and holding a conversation, then you'd be ready to sing while playing it.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »
I can play the song while walking and moving around, by the way.

This will sound silly, but try and stand still when you play. I thought the same as you - that being able to walk about was a sign that I didn't need to concentrate too much - but I was informed that it is a sign that I'm concentrating so hard on the playing that I'm losing track of being able to stand still.

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 209
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:13 pm »
I can play the song while walking and moving around, by the way.

This will sound silly, but try and stand still when you play. I thought the same as you - that being able to walk about was a sign that I didn't need to concentrate too much - but I was informed that it is a sign that I'm concentrating so hard on the playing that I'm losing track of being able to stand still.

And to add to what Andy said. A mic stand won't follow you around when your playing a gig.

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 08:41:42 am »
Although singing is natural, most f us have accumulated so many bad habits - poor posture, poor breathing, poor enunciation and so on - that we need to spend some time concentrating on how to sing before we can do so comfortably with the guitar. Have a look at the BBC website on Singing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sing/learning/ and try working on the techniques they suggest there. There's also a TrueFire course specifically for people who want to sing and play guitar at the same time - but it is, of course, not free.

I was able to sing while playing quite quickly, partly because that was what I wanted to do from the start, but mostly because I had training in singing while a choir boy and while at school back in the day. There are skills that, once acquired, do not fade away. But you do have to acquire them.

Offline chaddy

• Good Vibes 0
Re: TE-401 • Singing And Playing At The Same Time
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 07:17:42 pm »
Hey Justin,
You mention in the video a list of recommended easy songs to learn to play and sing at the same time.
I cannot find this list anywhere even looked on the forum,

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:05:38 pm by chaddy »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 11:24:14 pm »
Hi Chaddy and welcome to the forum.

Been a while since I watched this but don't remember the reference to a list of songs. But I know Justin put out another lesson way after 901 in the same theme. Just tracked that down and he does list some "beginners" songs to start this process off.

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/how-to-sing-and-play-at-the-same-time-gt-294

I think it must be a later video but in the text he says

"Simple songs you might like to start with are Knockin On Heaven Door, Three Little Birds, Feelin Alright, Blowin In The Wind, Brown Eyed Girl... simple chords, simple melodies and very memorable."

So there are a  few to start with.

This is something I have still yet to master after many years of playing but lack of a confident voice holds me back. But the general rule is to learn the song (ie the chord progression you want to sing over) backwards sideways forward all ways so you can play it blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back. Play it inside out.Play it that you don't need to think about playing it. Then and only then add the vocals. You need to know the song inside out so when you are singing it you don't even think about playing it.

Its a huge skill to master over "just" learning to play the guitar. And I tip my hat to all here who accomplish both playing and singing. Me I continue to struggle but work continuously on some old familiar songs in the hope I will make that leap of faith one day.

Don't let that put you off. If you have a song you want to sing over and can play the chords give it a go. Maybe keep it real simple strumming wise or slow everything down but learn the song, then add the singing.  You'll get there with practice.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline chaddy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 12:01:44 am »
Thanks Toby,
Firstly my apologies I had mistakenly put TE-901 instead of TE-401 Doh!

And I think you are spot on with the page you directed me to, in the video it mentions this simple song list, saying that it is below however the page you mentioned is the exact same lesson but without the video.
Like yourself I have no confidence but feel if I can get a couple of tunes down things might improve (or not)
Steve

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 06:09:36 pm »
Thanks Toby,
Firstly my apologies I had mistakenly put TE-901 instead of TE-401 Doh!

And I think you are spot on with the page you directed me to, in the video it mentions this simple song list, saying that it is below however the page you mentioned is the exact same lesson but without the video.
Like yourself I have no confidence but feel if I can get a couple of tunes down things might improve (or not)
Steve

Just keep working at it Steve. Learn the song so its automatic, then add the vox. I need to work on this a lot and have a few go to tracks that are getting there but a long way off recordable. Too many other distractions unfortunately but I'll get there for sure. In the meantime I am happy blowing the windows out without vocals.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 89
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 10:20:17 pm »
This is something I have still yet to master after many years of playing but lack of a confident voice holds me back...Its a huge skill to master over "just" learning to play the guitar. And I tip my hat to all here who accomplish both playing and singing. Me I continue to struggle but work continuously on some old familiar songs in the hope I will make that leap of faith one day.

@ Chaddy

Toby is a long-standing, well-respected member in this community, and you would be well-advised to heed his wise words.
He plays well.
He sings well.
He has high standards.

On the other hand, this is guitar- and rock'n'roll; and you would be equally well advised to throw everything to the wind and plough your own furrow!
I have subjected the poor, polite forum members to all sorts of auditory abominations at my whim.
Try it. It's great fun  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 307
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 07:18:29 am »
I guess I am more like Brian. All I'd add is that we chase perfection and catch improvement (to adapt a popular quote). If I were to wait until I reach the level of play on the guitar that Justin recommends then I'd probably still be waiting to start singing along.

But no doubt, you need to be reasonably fluent on playing the song to be able to start the singing, and then that is another whole art form ... my efforts are certainly best effort on the vocals ... actually best effort on the guitar as well  :o

For what it is worth, I posted a rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door in AVOYP over the weekend. I have been playing and singing this song pretty much since I started to properly learn guitar here about 3.5 years ago. I could play the song, to a degree, already from previous less-successful attempts to learn to play. So that recording is the result of enough repetition to get someways towards the total auto-pilot aspiration, but not there yet.

So I'd suggest pick a song that you like, that uses the chords you know, and dedicate some time every practice session to playing it. I'd suggest pick one that Justin teaches in a song lesson; I found it helpful to play along with Justin when he is slowly playing through the song. I used Three Little Birds, though the reggae beat and timing of the vocals such that it is not an easy one for me to sing.

Offline chaddy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:07 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies,

I'm a returning guitarist after initially playing rock lead guitar way back when I was 16, decided to resume again around 12 months ago after a short break of 48yrs. Currently workin on 'Into the mystic', probably not the easiest to play and sing too but hey she says I have too and I suppose she has to put up with my practice, just need to get the tune embedded in my fingers.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App