Author Topic: TE-901 • Singing And Playing At The Same Time  (Read 22478 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:51:09 pm by Indigo »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

inmydreams

Re: TE-901 • Singing And Playing At The Same Time
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
Could the third step be 'listening to covers on youtube' rather than the song again ?  :o

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
Well, it's certainly interesting to see/hear, what other musicians came up with and how they interpreted the song, especially when you're "transposing" something to a different instrument (like playing a rock song acoustically).

I think the point is to find a version of the song you really like and then to learn to do it like that (learning the timing, the rhythm, the vocal melody, etc.) Whether that's the original record or a cover version is up to you.

And if you can find a version you like that's in the same key you'd like sing in, it's all the better (less confusing for your brain).

Imho ;)

inmydreams

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:40:43 pm »
Well yes it would definitely help in practicing a song solo but shouldn't we not try to imitate those covers and try to come up with our own ? I guess Justin must provide a lesson for that too ! How to make covers which sound different !

FireGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »
Hi Justin!! So I have a song Ive been working on playing since the summer.. Its We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift. I have the picking and strumming down pat and can play it in my sleep!! I need help with step 4 plz!! Im really confused!! Thanks!!

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
I need help with step 4 plz!! Im really confused!! Thanks!!

I can't really help because I have problems in that area too.  However, step 4 is, "Listen to the song a lot more."  Maybe you mean step 3, "Play it while having a conversation"?
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

FireGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:18 pm »
I meant to say I dont get what the melody is exactly. Plz explain!!

Offline Billson

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:04:36 pm »
Hi, Great lesson.

At which step do you progress from simple strumming to the full guitar part [ say base strum style - or finger picking]?

Thanks

P.S. want to try and apply this to the The man In Black [Johnny Cash]. justin does a great video on this,

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »
Billson,

From memory, he never says when to play them with the full strum pattern. You are practicing chord changes, practicing strumming and other rhythm patterns, practicing songs with all downstrums... he never tells you to put them together at this exact point.... My interpretation of this is that when it happens it happens. Try it when you are ready, or when you are bored with the simple version, or when it just comes out... The course gives you all the pieces, and you have practiced all the bits individually. So play the song, and see what happens.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Billson

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »
Thanks for the input doc.

Billson

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
Firegirl - the melody is the line that you will sing. Is that the answer you needed?
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Cuandoman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:28 am »
Not that I'm even remotely good at this (just giving it a try now), but keeping the RANGE of the song and your voice in mind is important too.  The vocal range that I have (male in 30s) and my daughter has (teen girl) is vastly different.  To sing the same song I have to change the capo position. 

Any thoughts on adjusting a song to the vocalist's range?

Offline Smith

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
one thing I have found is that people just asume you CAN sing. I can't sing at all & it makes me cringe when I hear how bad I am on a recording & I mean shocking  , I cant sing in tune or even play my guitar in time when I try to sing.
I listen to Justin sing Imagine while playing & think wow if only I could sing just a bit, like in tune would be great. I think that the singing bit makes the song what it is instead of an instrumental all the time which can be boring.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:34:46 pm »
Not that I'm even remotely good at this (just giving it a try now), but keeping the RANGE of the song and your voice in mind is important too.  The vocal range that I have (male in 30s) and my daughter has (teen girl) is vastly different.  To sing the same song I have to change the capo position. 

Any thoughts on adjusting a song to the vocalist's range?

You and your daughter both need to learn how to sing in key not pitch. It doesn't matter what octave you sing in as long as you are singing in the same Key.

I you are singing a song in the key of G and playing an open G chord and need to capo up 2 frets so
your daughter can sing the same song. She is singing in the key of A IOW she is singing out of Key.

Think of a bass guitar, an acoustic guitar and a mandolin all playing the same song. They are all playing
in a different octave(pitch) but they are all playing in the same Key.

There is no reason you and your daughter can't sing together just find a key you both can sing in.
She may have to sing an octave higher than you do but will still be in the same key.

Offline hesfordj

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 04:41:44 pm »
Can anyone recommend a website that can help me with singing in key and developing my vocal skills.

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
I don't know about a web site.  But for singing in key are you playing the scale on your guitar and singing along with it?    I sing 1 2 3 not C D E or do re me but they all have their fans.  And it depends on what else you are working on.  If I was working on learning the names of notes in a key I would sing those, as in C D E F G A B C  or D E F# G A B C# D etc.  You can sing the octave D upD or downD.  (or 1 8 1 down 8).   Vocalizing while you play notes really helps you to be in key, and also to be able to do intervals that are out of order.   Like 1  4 or 1  5.    So play the melody in the scale and then sing over that melody.  Add words last.  Works for me anyway. 

Alot of us tend to be flat when we are unsure of the song melody at all.  A rare few go sharp.   Singing exactly in key is a gift for some, but for alot of people you have to develop it so don't think it's easy for most people. It's not.  Even good singers.   
Realism is relative.

Offline jaygol

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:03:31 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm having difficulty singing while playing especially when the word starts on the beat but there is not down strum on the beat. So there's a miss. I can sing it when there's simple strums i.e. all down strums, so I know I have a some sense of rhythm and tempo. Anyway I can get over this? Thanks guys!!

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 03:14:18 pm »
It's a matter of getting both the strumming and the singing so down pat that you don't have to think about them. The reason that you cannot do both is that you can only think about one thing at a time. You can walk and talk at the same time because you don't have to think about walking any more. Same with singing and playing. Practice playing until you can play the song while paying attention to something else, like having a conversation. Similarly practice singing the song while doing something else that requires attention, like working a crossword puzzle or something. Singing and playing is literally doing two things at the same time and you have to train yourself to do it.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »
It's hard. I still can't do it. The best advice I've read is to be able to play without singing til the playing is so automatic you don't think about it. Then add the singing.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:19:19 pm »
It's equally important to get the singing down pat as well.

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:37 pm »
I've been playing for just over 18 months now and am slowly able to start singing and playing simple songs. I'm finding it's not the chords that tie me up but the ability to sing and strum in rhythm at the same time. Basically I can only sing a song and play if I'm using the D DU  U DU pattern. Right now I've about got it where I can also sing and play with the D D DU D pattern.

It takes lots of practice. Start out by learning the song good enough where you can play along with the record without a problem. Then slowly start trying to sing. If you start screwing up then back off and try to hum along or only sing the lyric(s) at the chord changes. Do this helps you to also get a good feel for the songs timing. You'll find depending on the song there are places where it is easy to sing and play but other parts aren't there yet.

In the end it is practice practice practice. And when you practice do it slowly.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »
I was the sameů it was Old Faithful first for me too.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Professor Plunk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »
Hey, I've recently started to sing. I'm trying to sing and play How to Disappear Completely by Radiohead. I can already play it well, it's very easy. But I can't even have a conversation while I play the song (or any song, for that matter). Do you have any tips for step 3? Should I try to read something out loud while playing?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 249
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
If your going to read something out load try the words to the song. Sorry could resist.  ;)

Singing is just like playing guitar. You need to practice. First learn the words so you can sing them without
a notes. Once you can sing the song start singing while you are playing it. Take your time and get it
right. Backing tracks can help keep your rhythm. 

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »
Hey, I've recently started to sing. I'm trying to sing and play How to Disappear Completely by Radiohead. I can already play it well, it's very easy. But I can't even have a conversation while I play the song (or any song, for that matter). Do you have any tips for step 3? Should I try to read something out loud while playing?

Practice more. If you can't have a conversation while playing a song then you are thinking about playing the song. It needs to be automatic, like walking.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App