Author Topic: W7 search  (Read 1507 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
W7 search
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:19 am »
Why won't my Win7 drill down for searches. It seem to only do top level stuff.

I just found an old file in one of several full drives. Luckily I printed the file but closed the window. Now I can't find it again.

Two files, one is jpeg the other pdf. I know the word Kramer is in the title but I need to search from My Computer down so it will search about 6 or 7 drives. somewhere deep down in several directories.

OK, a little update. Actually I left it running and it has Kramer.jpg - I can see the file, but unlike the rest of stuff, it doesn't say where it's located. Everything else has a path but not this one. ... and the file with the same name in pdf which was right next to it is still yet to found. Actually I got a short description now but it's not drilled down far enough. I which drive and mid level folder it's in.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:31:38 am by TB-AV »
Gone

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
Re: W7 search
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:11 am »
command line is your friend

DIR *kramer*.* /S

or

DIR *kramer*.* /S /AH if it might be hidden

or if you really want to make sure it will behave mount it under linux and

find / *kramer*.* -print

The windows search is notoriously unreliable. I have no idea why but it is.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:09 am »
Is "kramer" part of the file name or the title of that pdf?

The command works, but of course only if it's in the file name and you have to do it for every single partition from the root directory. You can tune it with adding a file extension (.*" isn't necessary these days). Also add "/B" to the commnand, it makes the results much easier to read.

If it's in the document title, than command line (at least with built-in commands) is out. Google for tools to search inside PDFs, there are many.

The built-in search can read PDFs as well, but afaik the drive has to be indexed, which it should already be. In the explorer search results you need to click on "file contents" (I'm using a German version, so I'm not sure about the phrases here). That will go into the files with the search words. It might take a while...

More of a typer than a clicker myself, but get the drift, right? ;)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:42 am »
OK, I'll give these a try.

the file is named KRAMER bass wiring.pdf or similar.  My drives are not indexed. I have indexing off because I don;t want it running when my DAW apps are running. I downloaded this http://www.copernic.com/index.html which is supposed to be really good but it didn't find anything because index was off also. It's supposed to read inside documents.

I may need to rethink indexing but I generally don't want anything running in background that is not absolutely necessary. I probably need to get one of the old PC's running again and connect all these drives to that one and then index that whole deal.

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »
No need. If it's in the filename, the go with the command line like jnb said. Try this in the root directory of the drive/partition in question:

dir *kramer* /s/b

or

dir kramer*.pdf /s/b

If you're sure about the filename, then you can search it directly to reduce false positives:

dir "KRAMER bass wiring.pdf" /s/b

Simply execute and repeat for other partitions until you find it. And jnb is right, the W7 search feature is, shall we say, a little capricious. Also the command line is much faster for unindexed drives.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »
Ok, that did it.

I actually had a jpg, pdf and a ppt

I need to think of some way to sort all this mess out. I have bits and pieces of all sorts of stuff scattered across about 8 drives. I would like to categorize it all and basically back it all to two drives. Or maybe a drive for one large category and drive for another category and then one large combined backup drive.

But I can't do that in command mode.  plus I need to find some things that I only know a few words inside the document.
Gone

Offline ipoo2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »
buy a mac  ;)

sorry, us mac users have to deal with windows users saying this at any given opportunity  :)

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
I know the problem. With my guitar & sound stuff I was fortunate enough to sort most of it before it got really messy. I wasn't quite as fortunate with other stuff. RIP for most of it (I'll find you if I need you - I hope).

When it comes to sorting through large numbers of files, you may want to try FreeCommander (unless you already know it). It's an old-fashioned 2-window (plus tabs) file manager with great search/filter capabilities (not inside PDFs though, need another tool for that) and it's really fast. I've used it to quite literally sort through millions of files. Some people love, some hate it, but it's worth a try. If you're familiar with the Norton Commander interface, you'll feel right at home, otherwise it may take a moment to get used to the logic.

And another thing came to mind: I had sorting/categorizing problem with my song tabs/tutorials/videos/..., since I keep looking for them by all sorts of different criteria. I worked with sorts of different things including several databases, but I ended up with a bunch of spreadsheets to index the lot of them. That worked nicely. But that's only a few thousand files ;)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:56 pm »
Well I see the W7 has an add to Library situation. So I think I will browse through the drives and make Libraries for specific things

TABS
Plugins
video
Instruction
whatever.

Then copy them to fresh drives.

What has happened is me using several different computers that have failed or needed drive upgrades and simply finding stuff I want to keep for reference and not keeping it sorted. that compounded by doing emergency copy backups. so I've got it all... the problem is.. I've got everything everywhere bit able to find it.

Ironically the file I was looking for was in a folder named Guitar Amps and Effects Information.

So this FreeCommander. Basically a source Screen on one side and Destination on the other? I downloaded it but can't see if it runs on w7-64. I guess I'll know in a minute.

Gone

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:35:28 am »
I find wingrep a good tool, it can look for text IN files. so if you're unsure of the filenames but of certain words, you can use it to search your drives or specific locations.. perhaps that can help too... and wingrep is free!
http://www.wingrep.com/
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:55:13 am »
I use an editor called ultraedit. Works like wingrep but puts the result list straight into the editor (and my regex isn't that good!)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:48:06 pm »
That FreeCommander actually looks pretty good. I fired it up and like the interface. That's actually helpful so I switch around between drives.

I'll check out the wingrep and ultraedit. Between all these I should be able to find what I want.

Gone

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »
TB, remember you need search tools that can read PDFs, Office etc. I don't know these two tools that well, but generally speaking text-based search (like the original grep) won't do the trick. PDFs and many other formats today are compressed (and some of them encoded in some non plain text way), so looking for text in there won't work.

GaryBee

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:17:36 pm »
The Windows 7 search relies heavily on indexing, so it might be worth checking that the indexing service is working and that the drives you need to search are indexed.

Hope this helps.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
10-4, I have indexing off because I don't want it running when my audio progs are running.

I'm actually trying to get things organized so searching should be less of a problem in the future.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App