Author Topic: SO-010 - So you want to be a writer...  (Read 5259 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
SO-010 - So you want to be a writer...
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline frances

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: SO-010 - So you want to be a writer...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:27 am »
bukowski's awesome! for this stuff i like alexander pope http://poetry.eserver.org/essay-on-criticism.html a bit long, but something for everyone. mr pope also sometimes wrote ballads.

i like it and think it's funny when he forces the rhyme even though doing so is several centuries out of style.
 "who shames a scribbler?"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:55:44 am by frances »
I spend a lot of time in bed eating crackers, this tells you much about both my character and learning ability.

Offline mumbles

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:41 am »
It's one approach. I don't accept that it's the only approach. Even Keith Richards who apparently subscribes to that view, claims that he didn't write his first song until he was locked in Andrew Loog Oldham's kitchen with Jagger and told they wouldn't be let out until they'd written something.

If I didn't work at it, it wouldn't happen. The more I work at it, the more it happens. There's a plethora of great songs from writers that put work into it of the sort disdained by Bukowski: Goffin/King; Leiber/Stoller; Holland/Dozier/Holland; Quincy Jones;Freddie Mercury - and many, many more. I take encouragement from that.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:19:06 am »
@Mumbles

Of course it's not the only approach. In music there is no "right way" :)

And I have to work and re-write and slave over songs sometimes... and I suspect Bukowski did too - but it's an ideal. The few times songs have come out all in one go it's felt amazing and to me that is what it's about!!

Songwriter Mike Batt told me he thinks it's 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. The bukowski thing is about the first 10%.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App