Author Topic: Stratoblaster or Dimarzio Shockwave???  (Read 1721 times)

Offline NJDizzle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
Stratoblaster or Dimarzio Shockwave???
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »
hey guys, getting one of there installed into my guitar and want to know your thoughts?

its going to be a built in stratoblaster if i get that and im kinda leaning more to that side rather then the dimarzio because you have more control over tone with that,

just wondering on your thoughts about it before i get either one of them installed??

oh my guitar is a 97 strat blonde :)
Everyone needs to believe in something................
I believe I'll have another beer
:~)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: Stratoblaster or Dimarzio Shockwave???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:26 am »
How do you expect us to answer that without more background info ?
Why are you wanting to switch pickups, what do you hope to achieve ?

Offline NJDizzle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »
i think its pretty straight forward really, a question to who either has one of the items installed or knows more about them i do..

im looking to just have something other then a pedal hence it being built in, so i can control tone and boost from the guitar again rather then a pedal, my picup outputs are low enough and this would give it that extra boost when it needs it,

so basically which is the better choice?

i know the dimarzio isnt in production anymore but the luthier has a new one in stock from a good while back,

i cant really find much information on it either but i could find some about the stratoblaster, so again im looking for more info
Everyone needs to believe in something................
I believe I'll have another beer
:~)

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
Hmmmm...... What do I think?........ I think...........

........... I think I've forgotten......  ;D

Seriously, Dan poses a couple of perfectly good questions........ The best one, to me, asking what you hope to achieve. It doesn't matter whether we have them installed or not.

Assuming that by 'Dimarzio Shockwave' you only mean the preamp and not the entire pickup 'system', then what you're looking at is a choice between two preamp/booster circuits to give your Strat a bit more output. Now....... if all you're looking for is pickup boost, any one of a number of preamp circuits will give you that in pedal form. There's the EHX LPB-1..... and also a pedal form of the Stratoblaster ..... same beasties, different transistors, yada yada yada............... Pretty much the same outcome.......

I know you said 'something other than a pedal'......... and here's why I completely ignored that: 1) Why screw around with the guts of a perfectly good guitar when you can just sit a pedal in the signal chain to do the job............ 2) There's a reason foot pedals are so much more convenient than onboard controls: when the time comes to kick in that boost, your feet are conveniently not busy doing other things like your hands should be...... which is to say: playing the guitar.

So you're asking which is the better choice?.......... Getting a booster pedal is the better choice so far. The Shockwave preamp seems to have a good few fans, but if it goes tits up, there's no replacement parts no matter how good the warranty..... and it's back to square one.

But..... at the end of the day....... it's up to you what you do to your guitar....... these are just a few of my thoughts........

Get The Forum As A Mobile App