Author Topic: BS-309 • This Years Love - David Gray  (Read 14024 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 164
    • justinguitar.com
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline jen06

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BS-309 • This Years Love - David Gray
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »
I have just learnt this song, as it is one of my favourites! Am only using down strums as Justin suggests but could anyone give me some ideas on the strumming pattern. I know there isnt a definite pattern as this song was actually played on piano, but Justin's version sounds so much better than mine! I have listened to it loads of times to try and interpret the pattern but could really do with some extra help!

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »
Hi Jen,

Do you understand Justin's explanation at the start of the video? (about 1:30 to 3:00).

Are you counting your strumming as:

ONE (two) (three) FOUR (five) (six)

You would start by strumming on the ONE and the FOUR, then move to strumming heavily on the ONE and FOUR, and more lightly on the 2, 3, 5 & 6 (all down strums still), then start strumming up on some of the 'ands' as the feeling takes you.

Maybe something like:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 +
D   d u d   D   d u d

Andy

Offline pjeremy

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:26:40 pm »
Can we play it fingertsyle? If yes,can you please suggest some patterns? And are the chords same if i don't use a capo?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 254
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »
Yes you can play it finger style. With the Capo on the first fret you're playing in C# without the
capo you'd be playing in C using the same chords. As for a pattern I'd just play what ever fits the
song. Have you taken Justin's finger style course yet? There's some good patterns to get started
with there.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »
This is the first song I'm learning using 6/8 time. I'm presently using two down strums per bar on the 1 and 4. The problem is the foot tapping. I think I'm only tapping on the 1 and 4 which is working well, but I'm thinking I'm supposed to tap on all 6 beats. When I've experimented with 6 down strums per bar at a lower tempo I tap all 6 beats, but that's a lot of foot tapping. What's the preferred method for foot tapping in 6/8 time?
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »
I do one of two ways depending on the tempo of the song.  For slow tempos I tap every beat 1 2 3 4 5 6, particularly if there is playing on the 'ands'.

If the tempo is very fast I would tap on 1 and 4 and think of it more as 1 and a 2 and a...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 06:50:29 pm »
Would anyone be able to kindly say where the half beats are played here?  (1,2,3 only)?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 07:13:40 pm »
Straightshot if you're talking  about the half bars (so in the verse and the chorus that would be  |G EM|) then as this is 6/8 time you'd do 3 strums of G and 3 strums of EM
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:26:53 pm »
Thank you, Rossco01. I was under the impression Justin was also doing the beginning of the lyrics ( C D) as half beats too. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:22 pm »
I'm playing this with the capo on the second fret.

What key is it in? Perhaps C? Does this mean that the chords - C has become  D, D has become E and G has become A?

I've made a change to the line 'From every dream inside my soul and when you kiss me' as I didn't like the sound of the second C. I'm playing A7 instead of A, then another A7 instead of C, then resolving to C. I've also changed the melody in this line until the C chord. To my ears it sounds and feels good in an anticipatory sort of way. I had goosebumps the first time I sang it like this.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:34:38 am »
There are people here who are much more qualified than I, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Ignoring the capo for a minute, the chords are C D G Em and A. We have 2 problems. Problem 1 is that this isn't diatonic because of the A chord. If it were Am then we'd have chords that were all diatonic to G/Em. So, except for the A borrowed from the parallel key, we have G. Capo at the 1st fret makes it the key of G# or Ab. Capo at the 2nd fret makes it key of A.

Problem 2 is that if we ignore problem 1, we'd conclude the key of G, but that doesn't sound right. G doesn't sound like home base, C does. Now, we're modal. We're out of my comfort zone, but since the 4th degree feels like home (C is the 4 chord in the key of G) then we have  Lydian mode. Specifically, C Lydian. Capo 2 makes it D Lydian.

If problem 2 doesn't make any sense then stick with the solution to problem 1.

I'm just waiting for Shadow to come along and clean this up for us.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Fender Mustang 1

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:46:31 am »
Wooo Siege Frog, talk about being out of the comfort zone. I was lost by line 3 of your post  ;D. Thanks for taking the time to reply. My brain is in a knot now. I don't as yet know nothin' about 'diatonic' or 'Lydian' except that they are ahead of me.

I think I've asked a dumb question, sorry.

Now I'm going to look up 'diatonic' and 'Lydian' and probably confuse myself even more.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:32 am »
Shadow, Stitch, TB? Anyone want to step in here? I'm afraid I've made a mess of this...

Fender Mustang 1

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 04:47:25 am »
Shadow, Stitch, TB? Anyone want to step in here? I'm afraid I've made a mess of this...

Sorry for this, I just wanted to know the key as it seems to suit my voice. You haven't made a mess at all Siege Frog, it's my beginner ignorance that's the problem. Don't worry about it  :) Always grateful for the awesome help given in this forum, really generous.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 06:49:42 am »
I'm playing this with the capo on the second fret.

What key is it in?

Ignoring the capo for a minute, the chord shapes are C D G Em and A.
I have added the word 'shapes' for understanding.
That A could be A7 or Asus4.
These are in the key of G apart from the A which is altered from what would be an A minor in this key.

In the key of G these are:
IV, V, I, vi and altered ii
The ii chord which is minor in the actual key is often changed to Major for a variety of reasons ... notably the sound of it.

You have a capo at 2.
With a capo at 2 these become actual chords of: D E  A  F#m  B
Your key is A, and you still have an altered ii chord (which in the key of A is Bm but here is played as the Major)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:52:18 am by close2u »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 06:53:50 am »
Awesome explanation Close, thankyou very much  :) Good vibe to you.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 02:03:17 am »
I'm trying to 'get' the little riff Justin plays at 8.20 on the video. It's C, Cmaj7, D. I'd like some help with the strumming pattern please. This is what I think it is but not sure:

(C) D D D   (C) D   (Cma7)  D     U    D   U  (D)
      1 2 3         4                 5     +    6   +   1 etc

Thankyou  :)

Offline PeterU

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 12:49:30 pm »
I'm just learning this and want to play to the metronome but I've conflicting reports about the bpm. Can anyone tell me what it is. Some sites say 166 which just seems ridiculous for a slow ballad.

Thanks.

Oh and I'll be amazed if I play this song without shedding a tear or two! It's way to emotional and moving to have a dry eye!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 01:50:17 am »
Oh and I'll be amazed if I play this song without shedding a tear or two! It's way to emotional and moving to have a dry eye!!

Now you've set me off PeterU. I played it this morning and couldn't sing because I was crying so much :(  The line that sets me off is 'every dream inside my soul' wow that cuts deep.

Offline Benethi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
I'm just learning this and want to play to the metronome but I've conflicting reports about the bpm. Can anyone tell me what it is. Some sites say 166 which just seems ridiculous for a slow ballad.

Came here to ask the same thing - it's somewhat confusing (to me at least) that essentially tempo and speed seem to be completely unrelated!

(note - I have no musical background or theoretical knowledge so what follows is me making it up and working it out as I go along!  I have just added this note as this post got a little out of control...)

By tapping along to the beat I had worked out the tempo to be ~170, which more or less coincides with your 166.  Dividing that by three for the strong beats would give ~55, which I'd consider more in keeping with the slow feel of the song.

As far as setting a metronome's concerned, you can obviously set it at either the 166 or 55, and just play along accordingly.  I have set my metronome app on my phone to 170 at 6/8 time with strong beats on 1 and 3.

But then the Justin app puts it at 108, which makes no sense to me at all!  That appears to twice the tempo of the strong beats, which is as far as can see, completely meaningless.  In the app you can shift it up and down of course (depending on how fast you want to play it), but numerically it just appears to be completely wrong.

Remembering however that being in 6/8 time, each beat is an 8th note, not the 'usual' quarter note, the tempo is effectively doubled so maybe you could say that the actual tempo is in the eighties, but what this means if anything I really don't know...

Looking at the piano music via a quick google, depending on which site you look at, it shows either
- a dotted crotchet = 54 - which coincides with the strong beats
or
- a single crotchet = 82 - which coincides with what I said above, but tells you nothing about the actual feel and tempo of the song as quarter notes are not relevant in any way

The piano music is also in 12/8 time - I have no idea what difference this makes other than saving on ink by halving the number of bar lines!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:20:44 am by Benethi »

Offline SgtColon

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 07:48:14 am »
Hello everyone,

I am learning this song at the moment and I've just got a question about the BPM's so I can play along with a metronome. I looked on the internet and it said that it's 165bpms. Which I tried but it was really fast. So I bought MixMeister BPM analyser and draged the song into it and it told me 99bpms. So I've been learning it at that speed.

I then did a play along and it seemed a lot slower than the 99bmps. Is there something I need to do to calculate the bpms when the song is in 6/8?

Thank you.  :)
Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 09:53:19 am »
Hello everyone,
I am learning this song at the moment and I've just got a question about the BPM's so I can play along with a metronome. I looked on the internet and it said that it's 165bpms. Which I tried but it was really fast. So I bought MixMeister BPM analyser and draged the song into it and it told me 99bpms. So I've been learning it at that speed.
I then did a play along and it seemed a lot slower than the 99bmps. Is there something I need to do to calculate the bpms when the song is in 6/8?
Thank you.  :)
It’s probably going to be the original tempo quoted /2 so would be 82/83 bpm.

Offline SgtColon

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 10:14:46 am »
Thanks Darrell,

I'll set the metronome to that later and give it a whirl.

So if a song is in 6/8 do you always divide the bpm's by 2?

Thanks.  :)
Don't take life to seriously, no one gets out alive.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App